Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t see Gorton interested in going near Kane. He just traded Miller with concerns over the impact on younger players. Not a chance they go after him.

So I always lok at maximizing assets and wouldn't it behoove this team to:

Trade Miller for say Namestnikov + Howden and then sign Kane who is a similar player at around the same cap hit that Miller will get?

Assuming Miller gets 5 years @ $5.5m per year and Kane gets 4 years @ $5.5m per season

So the overall effect would be:

Namestnikov + Howden + Kane for Miller

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From another thread: Zuc to LA?

Maybe we take Dustin Brown at 67%, less than 4 mil and can get back Cleague and Amadio?
The point of the Kings retaining that much (I think 50% is max anyway), is that they wouldn't have to move one of their better prospects with him.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So I always lok at maximizing assets and wouldn't it behoove this team to:

Trade Miller for say Namestnikov + Howden and then sign Kane who is a similar player at around the same cap hit that Miller will get?

Assuming Miller gets 5 years @ $5.5m per year and Kane gets 4 years @ $5.5m per season

So the overall effect would be:

Namestnikov + Howden + Kane for Miller

I don’t see Kane as a target. Besides the potential character issues, most reports do not have Gorton looking at long term deals, meaning anything over three years. Kane coming to NY is bad idea for both Kane and the Rangers.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Would much rather him address the lack of skill. Seems like a bigger priority, to me, but what do I know.
I tend to agree with the caveat that players can be both.

For far too long the NYR have been mentally weak. Very little pushback in them, not ready to play when the puck drops. I feel that is why McD was let go. The culture here is soft. Andersson throwing his silver metal away irked a lot of people but it showed a passion (some might say dickishness) that this team hasn't had since Avery.

They need skill no doubt. But they also need a culture change.

Yeah that's on the coach, but when the coach rarely enters the locker-room because he allows the leadership of the players to lead it's on them also.

Both have been removed. Now it's about who you put in their place.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
From another thread: Zuc to LA?

Maybe we take Dustin Brown at 67%, less than 4 mil and can get back Cleague and Amadio?

Brown has had a very good year. 28 goals and 61 points. If he can keep producing like that, I don't think they'll worry about moving him. Their only significant RFA is Rieder and he hasn't done much this year. He won't get much of a raise, if any. The Kings don't need the cap space. They might want Zucc, but they won't need, and probably won't want, to trade Brown to do it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So looking at the teams UFA's and RFA's who does the team just let go unqualified?

RFA's:
Spooner
Namestnikov
Hayes
Vesey
Skjei
Gilmour
O'Gara
Bigras
Tambellini
Nieves
Fogarty
Mazanec

UFA's:
Desharnais
McLeod
Carey
Sproul
Catenacci

I think I'd let every UFA go and I'd have to make a decision between Fogarty and Nieves, no reason to keep both. I'd also have to consider letting Tambellini go as well. Holland and Schneider should be down in the AHL next year as the two vets to help carry the offense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So looking at the teams UFA's and RFA's who does the team just let go unqualified?

RFA's:
Spooner
Namestnikov
Hayes
Vesey
Skjei
Gilmour
O'Gara
Bigras
Tambellini
Nieves
Fogarty
Mazanec

UFA's:
Desharnais
McLeod
Carey
Sproul
Catenacci

I think I'd let every UFA go and I'd have to make a decision between Fogarty and Nieves, no reason to keep both. I'd also have to consider letting Tambellini go as well. Holland and Schneider should be down in the AHL next year as the two vets to help carry the offense.

Spooner I'd try to trade. Tambellini, Fogarty, Mazanec I'd let go. Nieves is just a better skater than Fogarty. IMO he did fairly well in his 28 games. Tambellini--same numbers pretty much 3 years in a row. He's become a good AHL player. I don't think we need Mazanec. Georgiev is younger and he looked like the real deal when he was with the Rangers. Still have Nell and Halverson and Shesterkin and Huska should be getting here after next year. If we need someone in between we should be able to find someone else. If the Rangers sign another backup goalie Georgiev for sure should be the starter in Hartford next year. I think Mazanec is a very good AHL quality goaltender but he's excess.

On the UFA's you left out Pavelec. I think Ondrej did alright but I'd lean towards not re-signing him. Desharnais--absolutely not---too small and weak on the puck. McLeod--no--pretty damned ineffective and for us in an enforcer role IMO Glass was better than him. Carey--I thought did alright--I wouldn't be totally against him but I'd lean towards no. Sproul--leaning towards no. Catenacci-no.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Wonder if Zucc could be packaged to move up in the draft. To one of the teams that just missed the playoffs and are looking to make another run next year.

Take Florida as an example. They probably don't want to take on more salary, but could upgrade to Zucc. Assuming they don't move up in the lottery.

Zucc + NYR 2nd for McGinn + FL's 1st

Too much for us to move up from 39 to 15 or so? Could sub the NJD pick (48) instead.

Dallas?

Zucc + 3rd for Spezza + Dallas 1st

Spezza only has a year left, but Dallas saves 3m to fill other spots in the lineup.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Didn't we hear the same thing about Stamkos though? He ended up getting $8.5m. DO people really believe Tavares gets $4m more per yer than Stamkos? I think he gets in the $9-9.5m per season range and I am thinking it's Montreal or SJ

Stamkos may have given them a hometown discount to stay with a team that was about to become a perennial contenders. The Isles suck.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Wonder if Zucc could be packaged to move up in the draft. To one of the teams that just missed the playoffs and are looking to make another run next year.

Take Florida as an example. They probably don't want to take on more salary, but could upgrade to Zucc. Assuming they don't move up in the lottery.

Zucc + NYR 2nd for McGinn + FL's 1st

Too much for us to move up from 39 to 15 or so? Could sub the NJD pick (48) instead.

Dallas?

Zucc + 3rd for Spezza + Dallas 1st

Spezza only has a year left, but Dallas saves 3m to fill other spots in the lineup.

This is the kind of stuff I’ve been preaching. We have so, so many options this year. Firsts galore or 1, 2 or 3 in the top 20. Would be such a dirty, filthy draft from us.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I mean in NY it’s like 8.8% income tax vs 0 in Florida. Compare your own salary to what it would be without an income tax, and you tell me :laugh:

Tampa also has no city income tax, New York does. Lower sales tax too.

Florida has more people than NYS, yet less than half the budget. If you're don't have to show up in office (e.g., online business), it's worth it to buy a house in a place like Tampa just for tax purposes to establish residence there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We all love Zucc, but the management needs to make smart decisions. We need right handed forwards and defensemen. If we can pull Foote+Raddysh for MZA, our future looks a lot better than if we let Zucc walk or pay him through the nose.

We'd get a 3RW and likely a middle pair RD. Just what we need. Having more of the guys who can fill up the middle of the lineup allows Gorts to take boom/bust swings. Instead of using our late firsts to try to get another Raddysh-like player, he can use those picks to try to get another Chytil.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We have a lot of young D who are basically the same age. Enough Hartford spots for Lindgren, Hajek, Day and Crawley? O'Gara and Gilmour probably aren't making the Rangers, maybe one could be 7D. Sproul and Bigras are good AAAA players but I guess guys like that move every offseason.

I'd like DD back as 13th forward but I get why it wouldn't be popular. Maybe I'm remembering that one goofy Kreider-Desharnais-Buchnevich game too much.

Much rather keep Spooner than Namestnikov, even if his return is higher. Just reminds me too much of the Vegas guys.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->