Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Respectfully, I disagree. AV always had his tough guy in the line up, much to the detriment of the team. Also, I think toughness isn't going away, I believe it is almost gone. Any team that dresses a Tanner Glass or Cody McLeod at this point is just putting themselves at a disadvantage. The agitator has replaced the tough guy and that is what the Rangers actually lacked. The team wasn't vanilla because of #toffness, they were vanilla because they had no snarl, no grit, no drive. You need guys who aren't afraid to play on the line. The problem is... AV didn't want those players. The hard hits, the skirmishes, the heated moments of the game, that is what helps a team bond, they one of many things that help keep a team together.

Kreider could be that guy but AV effectively neutered him. Not we are 100% to get Kovalchuk or that he will still be here when we turn things around, but even Ilya was fairly good about stuff like that. If you can get Kreider to return to his old form and maybe a few more players like him (big body, strong, play on the edge), it will go a long way. Miller was one of those guys but depending on what you want to believe, other things outweighed that benefit. A guy like Tom Wilson would be perfect. He constantly plays right on the edge.

I know a lot of people here hated Torts and that is fair. But you know what, his teams always competed. His teams always played on the edge. His teams never half assed it like AV's teams did as of late. Why? The players had enough respect for their coach and for each other that they went out there every night and gave it their all.

Daily Antoine Roussel name drop here

Reactions: Gardner McKay

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Isn't this what we all pretty much wanted? For Grabs to head to NJ and not put up big goals/points and come back here on a decent 2-3 year deal?
Like mentioned before put him on the 3rd or 4th line not top 6 and he will be more than fine. Obviously depends on the other moves we make or don't make (kovalchuk, other NHL free agents, etc) but I highly doubt Grabner will become a Smith no matter what coach we bring in.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Respectfully, I disagree. AV always had his tough guy in the line up, much to the detriment of the team. Also, I think toughness isn't going away, I believe it is almost gone. Any team that dresses a Tanner Glass or Cody McLeod at this point is just putting themselves at a disadvantage. The agitator has replaced the tough guy and that is what the Rangers actually lacked. The team wasn't vanilla because of #toffness, they were vanilla because they had no snarl, no grit, no drive. You need guys who aren't afraid to play on the line. The problem is... AV didn't want those players. The hard hits, the skirmishes, the heated moments of the game, that is what helps a team bond, they one of many things that help keep a team together.

Kreider could be that guy but AV effectively neutered him. Not we are 100% to get Kovalchuk or that he will still be here when we turn things around, but even Ilya was fairly good about stuff like that. If you can get Kreider to return to his old form and maybe a few more players like him (big body, strong, play on the edge), it will go a long way. Miller was one of those guys but depending on what you want to believe, other things outweighed that benefit. A guy like Tom Wilson would be perfect. He constantly plays right on the edge.

I know a lot of people here hated Torts and that is fair. But you know what, his teams always competed. His teams always played on the edge. His teams never half assed it like AV's teams did as of late. Why? The players had enough respect for their coach and for each other that they went out there every night and gave it their all.

Great points about the AV/Torts comparison. I remember reading McD’s letter to us when he was traded about how he and Stepan were stuck In traffic one day and McD was straight up scared about showing up tardy. He was worried about Torts.

Aside from playing with more of an edge, I think Torts’s fiery personality rubbed off on his players too. He preached accountability and despite his flaws as a coach, he was true to his word when it came to that.

This current team really needs a Prust-type. Someone who can play in most situations, possesses a physical aspect to his game, and willing to drop the mitts.

Torts’s team also had more bangers. Girardi was in his prime. Dubi and Callahan were physical. Avery to when he wasn’t yapping.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Martin is kind of the text book "run around and look engaged and like he's doing a lot but ultimately is spending a whole lot of time without the puck and therefor not actually contributing towards the most part of winning hockey games; scoring goals"

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

And if they did not they didn't see more than 4 minutes of ice time. That is ACTUAL accountability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Which was always my concern when people wanted to sign him in a post-AV world for the Rangers.

Grabner was tailor-made for the this past team. The next one? Not quite so sure.

Grabner should follow AV wherever he goes. The player that he is for the Devils is likely the player he' be for us next season with a new coach. He was great for us but that ship has sailed.

Reactions: jas

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Kreider is certainly a guy that can fill that role. As strong as anyone in the league including the remaining goons. Perfect for fit for toughness in the league going forward. I prefer someone like Kreider to an agitator like Roussel.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I have a gut feeling Zuccarello stays. He's the people's player and at the end of the day we are talking about the NYR. Tickets need to be sold and you do not want to piss off your fans. Zucc + Kovy = sold tickets. As prioritized as the rebuild will be this summer I don't think they will put themselves in a position where they trade away one of the last beloved Rangers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I have a gut feeling Zuccarello stays. He's the people's player and at the end of the day we are talking about the NYR. Tickets need to be sold and you do not want to piss off your fans. Zucc + Kovy = sold tickets. As prioritized as the rebuild will be this summer I don't think they will put themselves in a position where they trade away one of the last beloved Rangers.

I refer you to Brooks last week. He had a list of players not likely to be dealt. Zuccarello was nowhere to be found on the list.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think the team that Gorton wants to assemble includes a Roussel. Rangers definitely have been missing a certain level of 'bad manners' and hostility, but I think they will get that without having to bring in a guy already known for it. The team will hopefully have that kind of character develop and emerge from within.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rangers will sell out with or without Zucc.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Gorton has no time for beloved players. He'd trade Lundqvist if he could.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Kreider is certainly a guy that can fill that role. As strong as anyone in the league including the remaining goons. Perfect for fit for toughness in the league going forward. I prefer someone like Kreider to an agitator like Roussel.

I don't know man. I think the agitator is your modern day goon. If you don't have one, I think you're putting your team at a disadvantage.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Zucc and Kovalchuk are not going to be the difference between sellouts and Devils crowds.

Reactions: Bozle and E-Train

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The odds that Chytil, Lias and Howden all make it this year, and one of them even becomes a second liner, are less than zero. There's also only a 6% chance of getting Dahlin. Lindgren also isn't making it this season. He looks like a solid middle pair AHLer right now, which is excellent considering that he was younger than almost everyone else in the AHL and had no pro experience prior to his ATO. It's a good place for a kid to start at, but let's not pretend that he can play in the NHL. He'd get humiliated. Sproul right now is a better player than Lindgren. Not a better prospect because he's 5 years younger, but if you had to choose today whom to play in Game 7 of SCF and your only options are Lindgren or Sproul, any coach will take Sproul.
I said Howden late season, as in 9 games at the end of the year.

You don't think one of Chytil or Andersson could consistently play on the 2nd line next year and do well with linemates like JVR and Zucc? Ohhhkay then....

Also, I've read from a couple places that Lindgren and Hajek will get real looks in Training Camp and have a chance to make a claim for a spot.

You write off everyone as quickly as possible. I'm not entertaining this conversation much further, but I felt compelled to reply to this one.

Reactions: Phoicon

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gorton and company write a letter to the fanbase explaining some favorite players are likely to be moved, but, somehow that’s not supposed to include Zuccarello.

Because hes loveable and gritty and untouchable if we ignore the fact that he was MIA for most of the season and that he only led the team in scoring because Kreider and Zibanejad got hurt, the coach hated Buchnevich and he got nearly triple the PP time that Hayes got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->