Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

The Rangers got a 2nd rounder + Rykov for a guy scratched 2 games into playoffs.

And a 3rd Rounder + O'Gara for a guy (Holden) who has been scratched since the start of the playoffs.

Good stuff there. On Grabner, he's just not fitting in the NJD system for whatever reason. All the qualms about AV, Grabner should follow him to his next job. He fits AV's counter attack system perfect because of how much the offense is predicated on creating odd man rushes off of turnovers.

Reactions: haveandare

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers got a 2nd rounder + Rykov for a guy scratched 2 games into playoffs.

And a 3rd Rounder + O'Gara for a guy (Holden) who has been scratched since the start of the playoffs.

Good stuff there. On Grabner, he's just not fitting in the NJD system for whatever reason. All the qualms about AV, Grabner should follow him to his next job. He fits AV's counter attack system perfect because of how much the offense is predicated on creating odd man rushes off of turnovers.

Assuming AV ends up in Dallas he'd fit in well there with everything else they have.

Now what AV gets out of that roster is a completely different question.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider Zib Kovy
JVR Chytil Zucc
Andersson Hayes Buch
Roussell Howden Fast

Skjei Karlsson
Dahlin Shattenkirk
Lindgren Pionk

Would be cool to see that team after the deadline...
Trade Spooner, Names
Sign Kovy, JVR, Roussell
Buyout Staal
Lindgren and Dahlin break camp
Howden late season call up after doing great in the AHL
Trade Hajek+prospect+2019 1st for Karlsson and then resign him
Win the Stanley cup, etc.....

The odds that Chytil, Lias and Howden all make it this year, and one of them even becomes a second liner, are less than zero. There's also only a 6% chance of getting Dahlin. Lindgren also isn't making it this season. He looks like a solid middle pair AHLer right now, which is excellent considering that he was younger than almost everyone else in the AHL and had no pro experience prior to his ATO. It's a good place for a kid to start at, but let's not pretend that he can play in the NHL. He'd get humiliated. Sproul right now is a better player than Lindgren. Not a better prospect because he's 5 years younger, but if you had to choose today whom to play in Game 7 of SCF and your only options are Lindgren or Sproul, any coach will take Sproul.

Reactions: bernmeister

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Which was always my concern when people wanted to sign him in a post-AV world for the Rangers.

Grabner was tailor-made for the this past team. The next one? Not quite so sure.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm assuming a SCF loss, followed by an ECF loss, followed by a downward spiral.

If Dallas keeps some of Hitch's habits and combines them with AV hockey like the Rangers did when he first got here (replace Hitch with Torts) they're going to be good.

The only difference is AV would be going from prime Hank to... Ben Bishop :laugh:

AV will have his best success as an assistant going forward. I don't think there is any doubt that he lands another HC gig, but after that flames out (and it will, he sucks) I can totally see him catching on in a Jaques Martin esque roll and doing good things.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I still don't understand how AV, who amassed 309 PIMs between IHL/NHL in one season, was such a turn the other cheek advocate. Getting on Kreider for going after Stamkos was ridiculous. Face punching continues to become reduced in the league, but I don't see team toughness going away anytime soon.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Assuming AV ends up in Dallas he'd fit in well there with everything else they have.

Now what AV gets out of that roster is a completely different question.
Letting AV coach a team where the captain and one of two star forwards is more on the aggressive side of things seems like it's destined to turn into a bad situation. I can't imagine he and Benn seeing eye to eye at all.

Also, I think that D would look really ugly with AV at the helm. Hamhuis and Methot are getting a little long in the tooth and the d as a unit has only really done well under Hitchcock who is notoriously d conscious.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I still don't understand how AV, who amassed 309 PIMs between IHL/NHL in one season, was such a turn the other cheek advocate. Getting on Kreider for going after Stamkos was ridiculous. Face punching continues to become reduced in the league, but I don't see team toughness going away anytime soon.
Hurts me every time I see your Ridley avatar and that trade....

Reactions: E-Train

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Which was always my concern when people wanted to sign him in a post-AV world for the Rangers.

Grabner was tailor-made for the this past team. The next one? Not quite so sure.

NJD miscalculated where Grabner should fit into the line up. He's a 4th liner + PK first, who has speed and smarts to create breakaways for himself. Putting Grabner in top 6 is setting him and the whole line for a failure.

Reactions: belford222

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Yeah, but did you see how much he got bent over in the McDonagh deal?

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

Can´t tell whether you are sarcastic or serious? I think it´s too early to tell whether we won or lost that one. Maybe we could have done better? But who knows...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont think he got bent over. I think the second 1st rounder should have been guaranteed. Hard to say they failed by getting Hajek and Howden. Maybe you could say they should have came away with Foote, but these prospects are not developed and who is to say Hajek wont end up being the best defenseman of the group of the Lightning’s prospects. If you tell me they should have came away with Sergachev well then that could be an argument I guess, but it doesnt seem like Toronto/Boston put up the serious interest to force Tampa to include Sergachev. Although you can see Toronto’s defense being severely overwhelmed. I think the organization soured big time on Miller and wanted to move on from him with a new group...Namestnikov is a good player who plays hard..he can be part of the new group or moved for more assets.

Gorton did a good job at the deadline. Now they need to hit on their selections at the draft.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I dont think he got bent over. I think the second 1st rounder should have been guaranteed. Hard to say they failed by getting Hajek and Howden. Maybe you could say they should have came away with Foote, but these prospects are not developed and who is to say Hajek wont end up being the best defenseman of the group of the Lightning’s prospects. If you tell me they should have came away with Sergachev well then that could be an argument I guess, but it doesnt seem like Toronto/Boston put up the serious interest to force Tampa to include Sergachev. Although you can see Toronto’s defense being severely overwhelmed. I think the organization soured big time on Miller and wanted to move on from him with a new group...Namestnikov is a good player who plays hard..he can be part of the new group or moved for more assets.

Gorton did a good job at the deadline. Now they need to hit on their selections at the draft.

Dammit, I did need a sarcasm smilie.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I put things in " ". He said (as a player) that the next season is about winning and let scouts do their job at the draft.

Then he said something about pick #3 being the same as pick #8, which he should not have said since Hank is not the GM of the NYR

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Very good point. That may have been what Henrik was after. It must be downright disgusting to see guys give up in front of you as a goalie.

Some people speculated that he took shots at AV with those "follow the process" comments that he would always make about players. Sounds like AV overpromised and underdelivered while hank worked his tail off to keep this team afloat and he's pissed

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I feel the Rangers received fair value or better in most of their trades (obviously time will tell if it actually works out).

I'm with you in that I would've liked the second 1st rounder to have a lower threshold - such as making the SCF or even the ECF.

It's interesting that you mention the Hajek/Foote thing. Based on reports, part of me has to wonder if the Rangers liked him as much or more than Foote. At the very least, I think it was probably closer than most realized prior to the trade.

The only part I wasn't as big of a fan on was the Names-Miller component. I felt we could've received more there, though I do agree that it was obvious that the team was intent on moving on without Miller. I think the Brooks article, and some of the (lack) of reaction by teammates was somewhat telling.

But I feel the McD portion was about on par with what they could expect. I was pretty happy with it. Overall, I'd give the Tampa deal a B.

I'd give an A-minus to both the NJ and Boston deals.

Reactions: RGY

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Respectfully, I disagree. AV always had his tough guy in the line up, much to the detriment of the team. Also, I think toughness isn't going away, I believe it is almost gone. Any team that dresses a Tanner Glass or Cody McLeod at this point is just putting themselves at a disadvantage. The agitator has replaced the tough guy and that is what the Rangers actually lacked. The team wasn't vanilla because of #toffness, they were vanilla because they had no snarl, no grit, no drive. You need guys who aren't afraid to play on the line. The problem is... AV didn't want those players. The hard hits, the skirmishes, the heated moments of the game, that is what helps a team bond, they one of many things that help keep a team together.

Kreider could be that guy but AV effectively neutered him. Not we are 100% to get Kovalchuk or that he will still be here when we turn things around, but even Ilya was fairly good about stuff like that. If you can get Kreider to return to his old form and maybe a few more players like him (big body, strong, play on the edge), it will go a long way. Miller was one of those guys but depending on what you want to believe, other things outweighed that benefit. A guy like Tom Wilson would be perfect. He constantly plays right on the edge.

I know a lot of people here hated Torts and that is fair. But you know what, his teams always competed. His teams always played on the edge. His teams never half assed it like AV's teams did as of late. Why? The players had enough respect for their coach and for each other that they went out there every night and gave it their all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->