Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
This is probably going to piss a lot of people off again but on Brendan Smith:

He's kind of put himself where he is but if the Rangers do decide to buy him out there is sense to be had from it--cap savings the next two years (18-19, 19-20) to be used on someone else--a break-even year (20-21)---minimal cap penalty the last three years (21-22, 22-23, 23-24). One other thing---if he ends up Hartford again next year the Rangers should absolutely buy him out after that--no ifs, ands or buts.

I think for most people the Smith situation could go either way and we´re fine with it. He makes the team - great, he gets bought out - also good.

My understanding is that each year one waits to buy a player out lessens the financial burden - therefore perhaps we should wait one more season to buy Smith and perhaps even Staal out since we probably don´t have anything to lose at all. But whatever we do with them, I don´t mind.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This offseason boils down to what Lundqvist said in his "controversial" interview - scouts have to do their job this draft and they will have quite a few shots at it to make a difference. All that matters (vs. "OMG we are screwed by choosing 8th instead of 6th or 7th if the team lost a few more games")

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
This offseason boils down to what Lundqvist said in his "controversial" interview - scouts have to do their job this draft and they will have quite a few shots at it to make a difference. All that matters (vs. "OMG we are screwed by choosing 8th instead of 6th or 7th if the team lost a few more games")
What did he say?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Thats part of it, perhaps the biggest part of it but this off season also boils down to not making stupid moves.

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
EDM probably says no.

I do wonder if we could attach one of the later 1sts to Zucc for Edmonton's 1st though.

Perhaps Zucc is worth more than we anticipate? He´s been our scoring leader the past 3 seasons. Would he not get something similar to Stepan? A bit better player but not a centre. A good leader on the ice and a very good locker room presence. So I would look for a 7-10 pick + prospect.

He is also on a very good contract and we can retain.

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I think he expect the team to compete and not take the year off, I'll say that. One thing I've felt about this team this year in a nut shell ... is the team as a whole felt disinterested. That has to change.

Very good point. That may have been what Henrik was after. It must be downright disgusting to see guys give up in front of you as a goalie.

Reactions: TheTakedown

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Knowing this league Zucc will be shopped this summer and Gorton will get shit offers.

Then at the trade deadline, these same teams will be offering 1sts plus a prospect.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
EDM probably says no.

I do wonder if we could attach one of the later 1sts to Zucc for Edmonton's 1st though.

I was thinking young D as a down the road replacement for Klefbom. I don't think they would swap their first with one of our later ones.

or if not a replacement, we could shop it that way

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Perhaps Zucc is worth more than we anticipate? He´s been our scoring leader the past 3 seasons. Would he not get something similar to Stepan? A bit better player but not a centre. A good leader on the ice and a very good locker room presence. So I would look for a 7-10 pick + prospect.

He is also on a very good contract and we can retain.

No.

For starters Stepan was a better player at the time he was dealt and he had term left. The pending NMC/NTC likely knocked down his value a bit as did the lack of suitors. Zucc at 1 year is not going to carry the same value as Step with 4 years, even with the NMC.

I hope other teams research of Zucc begins and ends at the stat sheet because in that case we may end up getting more than we should. A

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That could theoretically be next year for this team. Bottom out next year. Continue building through the draft and off-load couple more vets if possible (MZA, Smith if he can get his game back, Staal, Spooner/Namestnikov/Hayes/Vesey).

I think that by the end of next season and once they get through the 2019 draft the team will be building again, not dismantling. That's when Gorton should dip his toe in the UFA waters again.

Use this upcoming season to sign cheap vets on short term contracts and off-load again at the deadline

I like what Don Sweeney did in 2015 trading Lucic and Hamilton in 2015. They had 3 straight 1st round picks in 2015. They got DeBrusk and Carlo out of that draft but they passed on so many good players. Barzal,Boeser,etc. They had the ability to set themselves up for the the 10 years if they made the right picks. They selected McAvoy in 2016.

The Rangers have 3 first rounders in this draft but two of them will be late #1’s. One of them will be in the bottom 4. Hopefully the TB pick ends up #31. Gorton said the Rangers like the top 10/11 players and the depth of the first round last week. Hopefully the Rangers move up in the top 3 in 12 days getting their franchise D or first line winger. The Rangers have the assets to move up with their pick if they don’t move up in the lottery or trade up from the bottom third of the draft. Maybe they can move a roster player for a top 10-15 pick. Gorton has tried in previous years.

Gorton says you can’t have an entire team of 18 and 19 year olds. True. The core of your team can be made of those players. Gorton says he wants to build the next Rangers new core. Andersson and Chytil in 2017. Continue to build off of that. They currently have 3 first rounders in June. They could have 2 first rounders in 2019 if Tampa wins the Cup. Try to add more first round picks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That could theoretically be next year for this team. Bottom out next year. Continue building through the draft and off-load couple more vets if possible (MZA, Smith if he can get his game back, Staal, Spooner/Namestnikov/Hayes/Vesey).

I think that by the end of next season and once they get through the 2019 draft the team will be building again, not dismantling. That's when Gorton should dip his toe in the UFA waters again.

Use this upcoming season to sign cheap vets on short term contracts and off-load again at the deadline

It's a very good plan--maybe not the only good one but a good one nonetheless. The thing I wonder about is the team going to go after some of the higher profile guys like Tavares or Karlsson and I can't really make up my mind whether that will be a good idea or not at least with Tavares. With Karlsson I think we should wait and see if he gets to free agency.....and then decide on whether to try for him or not.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
would anybody be open to trading the #3 pick if we get it?

young roster player and a later 1st?
I generally don't like the idea of trading firsts for young roster players because I think a large part of the value of firsts is that small chance that you're going to hit on something special, and you're not going to be getting that back if you're trading for established players.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gorton could make no stupid moves, no moves at all but if we whiff on our picks that would be devastating.

Now THAT would set the Franchise back a long, long time.

While I think it's highly unlikely that would happen --- I like our scouting department, the potential risk is always there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->