Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I really hope we start next season with a full Russian line. Namestnikov-Buchnevich and fill that LW spot from the KHL with either Kovalchuk, Gusev (trade for his rights) or Tkachev.

Reactions: Lays

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I doubt the Rangers trade Kreider. Young, productive, decent contract. He's the kind of player that you trade and then spend the next few years looking to replace his combo of size, speed and strength. Plus gotta keep a few "vets". Besides, I fully expect the Rangers to be all in on tavares and if that fails Karlsson the next summer (unless they win the Dahlin sweepstakes).

Reactions: belford222 and Lays

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Surprised we couldn’t squeeze a 2019 4th for DD, that sucks. First time in a while that I’m looking forward to the draft. I guess we’ll be dangling Zuc and maybe Spooner

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I expect they’ll sign Kovalchuk this summer and probably a couple of stop gaps.

Next summer I believe they’re gunning hard for one of Karlsson/Doughty/OEL. 100%.

I think we also will see some wheeling and dealing at the 2018 draft, possibly 2019 TDL and then 2019 draft as well.

As was pointed out, a lot can come together with this roster fairly quickly. I think they know that. I don’t think they’re going to rush it. All signs have pointed to patience so far, but I think they’re keenly aware of the potential for things to come together rather swiftly. That’s why many have said this was the year that they really HAD to make this decision and commit to rebuild. It’s the perfect timing to have this come off smoothly and set us up for an exciting future.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Last big trade chip for picks/non-NHL prospects is Zuccarello. I don't see Hayes, Namestnikov, or Spooner returning a lot. I think those are players you make "hockey trades" with. Find teams looking to move a younger NHLer for an older player that is at their perceived peak.

It was mentioned in another thread, but Dallas in on Zuccarello at the draft for a 2019 1st might be something to look at. A few other teams that could look at him: San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton. Win now teams that could use a top 6 winger (if SJ doesn't re-sign Kane).

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Do we think Shattenkirk would want to stay through this?
I have no idea, but if I would guess, I would say cautiously yes.

He wanted to be the #1 guy, and now he is with McDonagh gone

He wants to play in NYC, and with the Rangers. He took less to do so.

He can go anywhere he wants at 32 when his contract is up and win a cup. I think he’ll ride it out. He gets to mentor this new group of guys.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Colorado may have (2) 1st rounders this year that maybe pretty high. I am doubtful Ottawa will not give them their 1st rounder in 2018 considering 2019 they could be worse. Perhaps the Rangers can find a way to move a guy like Spooner, Namestnokov, Hayes or Zibanejad for one of those high picks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I could see moving Zucc, though I'd like to see if he can be rejuvenated with another coach and a better vibe around the team.

Otherwise, I think we should stick with the "vets" we have. Things could (not necessarily will, but could) come together fast, especially with huge d pieces seemingly being available the next year or two. Keep the "vets" we have, and some more kids to the pool and infuse them as they come along. Maybe add a big time d acquisition next year and they can be back in it quickly.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Colorado may have (2) 1st rounders this year that maybe pretty high. I am doubtful Ottawa will not give them their 1st rounder in 2018 considering 2019 they could be worse. Perhaps the Rangers can find a way to move a guy like Spooner, Namestnokov, Hayes or Zibanejad for one of those high picks.
zibanejad is 24 people....its not like hes 27 here, he is part of this rebuild

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I doubt the Rangers trade Kreider. Young, productive, decent contract. He's the kind of player that you trade and then spend the next few years looking to replace his combo of size, speed and strength. Plus gotta keep a few "vets". Besides, I fully expect the Rangers to be all in on tavares and if that fails Karlsson the next summer (unless they win the Dahlin sweepstakes).

Kreider has two years remaining on his contract.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I could see moving Zucc, though I'd like to see if he can be rejuvenated with another coach and a better vibe around the team.

Otherwise, I think we should stick with the "vets" we have. Things could (not necessarily will, but could) come together fast, especially with huge d pieces seemingly being available the next year or two. Keep the "vets" we have, and some more kids to the pool and infuse them as they come along. Maybe add a big time d acquisition next year and they can be back in it quickly.

It’s more likely that Zucc is declining and we’ve already gotten the best we’re going to get out of him.

They really missed a good opportunity by not moving him yesterday. I expect him to be gone in June though.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I do feel for Shatty, since he wanted to win a cup here within the 4 years of his contract, and now they're rebuilding, so he most likely won't get that wish(unless we somehow pull off some Leafs rebuild and fast track back to contention).

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It’s more likely that Zucc is declining and we’ve already gotten the best we’re going to get out of him.

They really missed a good opportunity by not moving him yesterday. I expect him to be gone in June though.
I guess I'm just not convinced that most of the decline we're seeing is the player losing a step as opposed to the player being extremely demoralized along with the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->