Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Or we have different interpretations.

Paying attention to what posters on HF boards? or are you talking about the letter the Rangers sent out? Everyone is available for a price?

I’m also talking about what Brooks and Carpinello have written, and articles posted by RangerBoy after the trade deadline. Gorton was closing in on other deals that got held because TB requested McDonagh’s medical records. He simply ran out of time. There will be more deals. And Zuccarello is certainly at the top of the list of players likely to be moved. You may have have whatever interpretation you wish.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Who has more value in the off-season? Spooner or MZA? I feel Zucc's 'trade value' plummeted once the deadline past.
Then, the cloud of the TDL lifted and he scored 4 goals in 3 games bringing him right back in line with past seasons. Nothing's guaranteed, of course, but he's suddenly looking like he has a very good chance to finish right around 60 points again...

Reactions: bl02

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If we were renovating a house, we'd be the types who re-use the pipes and wiring we just pulled, and re-install it in different rooms.

After-all, we're going to need to pipe and wiring.

Nash isn’t pipes and wiring. Holden desharnais are pipes and wiring. Nash is a solid piece a character piece you hang on to. That enhances the home. An armoir or dining room table if you will.

3 years 12 mil all day long for him. And it would come with the C. No one better I’d want my kids to learn about how to play the game the right way and be a consummate pro than Rick Nash. Who’s also a guy who no matter what is going on in his game or the teams will ever back down from answering tough questions.

Reactions: RonDuguaysShirt

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nash isn’t pipes and wiring. Holden desharnais are pipes and wiring. Nash is a solid piece a character piece you hang on to. That enhances the home. An armoir or dining room table if you will.

3 years 12 mil all day long for him. And it would come with the C. No one better I’d want my kids to learn about how to play the game the right way and be a consummate pro than Rick Nash. Who’s also a guy who no matter what is going on in his game or the teams will ever back down from answering tough questions.

I think we're forgetting that a key part of the rebuilding is changing the identity of the team for a new generation AND allowing those players to begin to take ownership. I would not underestimate the challenge of establishing a new core with someone who was such a prominent member of the previous one. It's not a matter of having vets, it's a matter of having vets who are so closely tied to a particular identity --- in this case, the one that we've decided to shed as an organization.

With all due respect to Rick "Dining Room Table" Nash, it's time to go a different direction, with different pieces and a different identity.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think you need solid veteran leadership or you become the sabres or oilers or coyotes. Can have all the top picks in the world. If you don’t have leadership nurturing then you’ve got a bunch of kids who scored a lot of points never had to listen to a coach and are lost

Reactions: bl02

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think you need solid veteran leadership or you become the sabres or oilers or coyotes. Can have all the top picks in the world. If you don’t have leadership nurturing then you’ve got a bunch of kids who scored a lot of points never had to listen to a coach and are lost
Yotes had Doan but see your point

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

And stare through the camera, into your living room and your soul

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I 100 percent agree with you.

But I don't consider having veteran leadership and retreading an identity we purposefully moved away from to be the same thing.

I also think that's where guys like Kreider, Zibanejad, Hayes, and others are going to be asked to step up. Those guys are the veterans now, among others who remain.

I don't think this is a team that is going to be deprived of a veteran presence.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We are not the Oilers. We need to stop making that analogy.

We seem to forget that we actually still have an NHL roster that's been to its share of rodeos - be it Staal, Shattenkirk, Lundqvist, Kreider, Zibanejad, Fast, Hayes, Spooner and whoever else we might bring in.

We're not exactly parading a bunch of teenagers out there.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think we're forgetting that a key part of the rebuilding is changing the identity of the team for a new generation AND allowing those players to begin to take ownership. I would not underestimate the challenge of establishing a new core with someone who was such a prominent member of the previous one. It's not a matter of having vets, it's a matter of having vets who are so closely tied to a particular identity --- in this case, the one that we've decided to shed as an organization.

With all due respect to Rick "Dining Room Table" Nash, it's time to go a different direction, with different pieces and a different identity.
I hope he comes back now, just so we can use that nickname.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
kPnHokd.jpg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Also can't rush them. The teams you listed above often have the "hey we have young guys in the lineup" to make it more exciting for the fans and something to talk about. Every player has their own timeline for being ready.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The core group of guys that have been Here for the last 5+ years has failed time and again.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing older versions of those players here to mentor the kids we have coming up through the ranks.

Are they going to teach how to be good enough to fail when it counts?

No thanks.

Nash is a glorified 3rd liner that is past his prime. Not worth 4 per

Grabner is what he is, a decent player when deployed correctly. Will get over paid and having cap space is not reason enough to waste it on him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If we were renovating a house, we'd be the types who re-use the pipes and wiring we just pulled, and re-install it in different rooms.

After-all, we're going to need to pipe and wiring.

That analogy would only hold up if the job actually called for deteriorated pipe and wiring to be used in the other rooms.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The core group of guys that have been Here for the last 5+ years has failed time and again.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing older versions of those players here to mentor the kids we have coming up through the ranks.

No thanks.

Grabner is what he is, a decent player when deployed correctly. Will get over paid and having cap space is not reason enough to waste it on him.
Testify.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

No thanks.

Nash’s job wouldn’t be to define the team’s identity. His job would be to help create an environment where the kids will be able to define that identity themselves.

You’re looking for a facilitator and I think Nash is perfect for that kind of thing.

I don’t think Grabner is a fit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, out of the list of

Kreider
Hayes
Zibanejad
Namestnikov
Vesey
Spooner

How many do you think are even going to be here as the new Rangers identity starts to emerge in 2 or 3 years? Basically, the number is half. The mid-20s players are already too old to be likely major contributors to the 20-21 Rangers. They’ll be gone via trade and free agency by then. Most of these are stopgaps.

You need stopgaps, so there’s no cause to just dump all of them now, but that’s the reality. They’re basically the Kyle Calders and Radim Vrbatas of the 2006 Blackhawks.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nash’s job wouldn’t be to define the team’s identity. His job would be to help create an environment where the kids will be able to define that identity themselves.

You’re looking for a facilitator and I think Nash is perfect for that kind of thing.

I don’t think Grabner is a fit.

For the role you defined, id rather have Grabner. And I agree that Grabner is not a fit.

Players, young players, are going to naturally defer to Nash. That's NOT a good thing at this stage of his career.

Skill wise, he's not the player he once was. Bringing him back would hurt this team more than help it. In the sense that he would be relied up to much in situations that are now best suited for a younger player to experience.

Watching Nash kill a penalty is not better than experiencing doing that yourself regardless of wether or not your succeed or fail.

The best teacher is still and always will be failure.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For the role you defined, id rather have Grabner. And I agree that Grabner is not a fit.

Players, young players, are going to naturally defer to Nash. That's NOT a good thing at this stage of his career.

Skill wise, he's not the player he once was. Bringing him back would hurt this team more than help it. In the sense that he would be relied up to much in situations that are now best suited for a younger player to experience.

Watching Nash kill a penalty is not better than experiencing doing that yourself regardless of wether or not your succeed or fail.

The best teacher is still and always will be failure.

The young players will only defer to Nash if he and the coaching staff don’t tell them not to, which is also not his role. You can’t keep acting like there wouldn’t be any management of the situation. It’s a pretty weird assumption. I also have no idea why you would think he would be deferred to in that way when it wasn’t even the case this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad