Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nash doesn't strike me as a player who will be out of the league at 35 unless he wants to be.

I could see him playing to 38-39 easily. The questions are

A) Does he want to come back after we dealt him, and if so will he insist on a NMC?
B) Is our agenda to have him stay to oversee the rebuild, or stay long enough to play a Marian Hossa role on a contending team?

I could definitely see Nash being the Hossa/Andreychuk/Recchi role on a contender late in his career.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trade 1

Chris Kreider and Ryan Spooner for Jacob Trouba, Brendan Lemieux and Nic Petan.

Trade 2

Mika Zibanejad, Ryan Lindgren and Tampa's 1st to Carolina for Noah Hanifin, Martin Necas and Kreuger (@75%)

Trade 3
Mats Zuccarello, TDA and Brandon Smith for Jesse Puljjujärvi and Milan Lucic (@1.5m retained)

Petan-Hayes-Necas
Lucic-Chytil-Names
Howden-Lias-Puljujärvi
Lemieux-Kreuger-Fast
Skjei-Trouba
Hanifin-Pionk
Hajak (Staal)-Shatty

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Nash doesn't strike me as a player who will be out of the league at 35 unless he wants to be.

I could see him playing to 38-39 easily. The questions are

A) Does he want to come back after we dealt him, and if so will he insist on a NMC?
B) Is our agenda to have him stay to oversee the rebuild, or stay long enough to play a Marian Hossa role on a contending team?

I could definitely see Nash being the Hossa/Andreychuk/Recchi role on a contender late in his career.

I see him more as a Keith Tkacuk in St. Louis situation. Likes the org. Wants to be here. Is dealt at the deadline. Returns during the summer.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Absolutely is not bad business. If the cap hit is appropriate it isnt. Nash can still play and be effective but he needs to not be overpaid with his production declining. He would do wonders for this young group moving forward. And he should be captain.
Doesn't make sense to me. Not a strong enough personality. The same reason that McD wasn't a great captain. We need to get away from the soft mentality that this team has had for awhile now. It's time to turn the page.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Trade 3
Mats Zuccarello, TDA and Brandon Smith for Jesse Puljjujärvi and Milan Lucic (@1.5m retained)
yNen4e9.gif

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
;)Best case scenario is that Henrik yaps at one of our defenders in his next game and the defender in a blind rage decks him and puts him out for 12 games LOL...that way we lose a defender and a goalie and possibly go 2-10 instead of 4-8 to finish . Av will suspend defender for being too aggressive in our own end . Gorton in a fit of rage fires AV and hires Bryan Trottier to finish out the season.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Trade 1

Trade 2

Mika Zibanejad, Ryan Lindgren and Tampa's 1st to Carolina for Noah Hanifin, Martin Necas and Kreuger (@75%)

Trade 3

Petan-Hayes-Necas
Lucic-Chytil-Names
Howden-Lias-Puljujärvi
Lemieux-Kreuger-Fast
Skjei-Trouba
Hanifin-Pionk
Hajak (Staal)-Shatty

These trades seem one sided

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I mean you can only have 3 buyouts on the books at a time and there are cap implications. So it's not free.

It comes down to changing the philosophy of how they run the organization. If you suspect a player isn't going to live up to the contract, especially in the midst of a rebuild, you have to move him asap.

Why hang on to a depreciating asset that could have been turned into a building block? No room for sentimentality.

Incorrect. You can only have 3 salary retained transactions on the books (meaning salary retained by your team)... Taking on someone else's salary retained asset does not count against you.

As for the buyout, no, there is no limit .

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Trying to find the article by Joe Smith (Bolts beat), but he said that Yzerman wanted Miller, and Gorton then asked for Namestnikov in return.

In that order.
Correct. The TBL media was explicit on the point. The two were discussing McD and SY asked "what would it take to include Miller in the deal?" or something like that. Gorts came back and asked for Namestnikov.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Trade Kreider for Klefblom ( I'm really suspect on moving Kreider )
Trade Spooner to highest bidder
Sign Kovalchuk
Sign JVR

Kovy Names Buch
JVR Chytil Zibby
Andersson Hayes MZA

Klefblom Shatty
Skjei ADA
Hajek Pionk

plus we'd load up the farm with all those draft picks

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Petan-Hayes-Necas
Lucic-Chytil-Names
Howden-Lias-Puljujärvi
Lemieux-Kreuger-Fast
Skjei-Trouba
Hanifin-Pionk
Hajak (Staal)-Shatty
Trade 1 and 2 the other teams would easily pass
That 3rd trade is terrible for us

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
I’d rather not bring back Nash, Grabner, etc. Our team is heading in a younger, rebuilding direction, why mess with that? We do need vets, but we can use Hank, Staal, Shatty, Beleskey, Smith, maybe Zuccarello, etc, even if most of them are bad, we can play our young guns and guys like Hayes, Vlad, etc.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
;)Best case scenario is that Henrik yaps at one of our defenders in his next game and the defender in a blind rage decks him and puts him out for 12 games LOL...that way we lose a defender and a goalie and possibly go 2-10 instead of 4-8 to finish . Av will suspend defender for being too aggressive in our own end . Gorton in a fit of rage fires AV and hires Bryan Trottier to finish out the season.
You lost me at Trottier.

:D

Reactions: leetch99

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I’d rather not bring back Nash, Grabner, etc. Our team is heading in a younger, rebuilding direction, why mess with that? We do need vets, but we can use Hank, Staal, Shatty, Beleskey, Smith, maybe Zuccarello, etc, even if most of them are bad, we can play our young guns and guys like Hayes, Vlad, etc.

That is probably the direction I'd like to see them take, however it still leaves me uneasy about the ceilings of the prospects from this and the next draft if the lottery is not kind to them or they make some bad selections.

Given that sort of roster is not likely to be all that good or all that bad I'm conflicted about them trying to just let the chips fall where they may by going forwards with what they have, yet I don't see any realistic high end UFA signings being worth it either, they are not the solution and they never have been.

The dreaded middle is dreaded for good reason I believe. How they avoid it, I don't know. Short of trading some good players away for more picks/prospects/lottery tickets/whatever one wants to call them, and them hitting on more of them than most teams normally do, I am having trouble coming up with a good path to the top of the drafts or a path to a Cup roster.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Unless Nash wants to come back at 2.5 per for 2 years, I don't want him back.

Turn the page folks.

I want him back because we’re turning the page. I see him as exactly the kind of player we want on a team with a bunch of players who need to be given an example of doing things the right way. A guy with a strong work ethic and strong character.

This isn’t about trying to hold on to the past. It’s about enhancing the future.

Still don’t want to give him a ton, but 2-3 years max $4m I’m fine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trade 1 and 2 the other teams would easily pass
That 3rd trade is terrible for us

Any trade for Trouba is built on the assumption that Trouba is getting moved. Do I know if he is getting moved? No it’s just speculation — but it doesn’t seem unlikely. And if Trouba is getting moved — Kreider and Spooner isn’t a bad package. They wanted Spooner from Boston. Kreider next to Schleife? Or behind Laine? He makes sense for them.

I am not a big Necas fan, if Carolina is valuing him tremendously high he can be replaced. Ziba for Hanifin.

Build a blueline. Get someone with elite scoring ability in Puljujärvi. RHS. Keeping looking for the last piece offensively with a blueline in place, it’s the right order.

BTW I am not high on Lucic, but I rather pay him 4m in the NHL than Smith the same in the AHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad