Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
- Who are gone and who will stay with the NYR Franchise next season?

I speculate that 15 players will remain in the next training camp including some veteran players.

- Vladislav Namestnikov
- Brendan Smith
- Henrik Lundqvist
- Marc Staal
- M
ats Zuccarello
- Kevin Shattenkirk
- Jimmy Vessey
- Pavel Buchnevich
- Brady Skjei
- Libor Hajek
- Lias Andersson
- Filip Chytil
- Neal Pionk
- Brett Howden
- Ryan Sproul

• I believe that Chris Kreider will end up with Oilers on the Mc. David line 1st + a young prospect.
  • I also speculate that Zib + DeAngelo is a nice package for future picks for those NHL teams who need to improve their PP units, and in they will return another solid prospect and a NHL ready player with top 6 potential + future prospects, + 1st rnd.
  • Spooner might surprise us all positive with his current production, but it`s too little depth, information, and history that he can have a similar production pace next season. And he has too much value in a great return for a future prospect and another 1st rnd in Gorton`s rebuild plan.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Does anyone have any info about the Miller situation? Meaning, I get it, young, good, piss and vinegar and all that. But where did the swagger cross over into a change of scenery? I get the feeling that it wasn’t him vs coaches because being that coaches are out, management has taken notice as well. I want to avoid speculating about some dude but any legit insight out there?

To put it simply; all evidence points to him being a, and I quote, "super douche"

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Does anyone have any info about the Miller situation? Meaning, I get it, young, good, piss and vinegar and all that. But where did the swagger cross over into a change of scenery? I get the feeling that it wasn’t him vs coaches because being that coaches are out, management has taken notice as well. I want to avoid speculating about some dude but any legit insight out there?

One thing that does comes to mind is this.

Stepan and Hank got into two seasons ago. Hank voiced his opinion after a goal. Stepan went back at him.

Stepan was traded shortly thereafter.

Miller and Hank had a similar discussion on the ice. Seemed a bit animated. Micheletti commented on it during the game. Said these guys are competitors, or something along those lines.

Miller was traded at the deadline.

I certainly don't know what was said in the room. For all I know they went out for dinner and drinks afterwards and laughed about it. But..both players at some point argued on ice with Hank. Both players were removed.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s hard to tell for sure @Lion Hound - and I usually avoid to speculate on recent incidents concerning Henrik even though he is our franchise goalie, but I think it`s more into it than that conclusion.

Stepan had a NMC coming shortly after he was moved - I believe that was crucial with Gorton`s earlier decision to move him, and that particular trade started the whole rebuild and a new direction for this franchise, and we acquired Lias. :)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I highly doubt Stepan and Hank arguing after a goal against led to Stepan being traded. They both were/are leaders in the room. They both play an honest game and respect their teammates. No reason to make this point.

Reactions: NewYorkNick and Ori

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
It`s hard to tell for sure @Lion Hound - and I usually avoid to speculate on recent incidents concerning Henrik even though he is our franchise goalie, but I think it`s more into it than that conclusion.

Stepan had a NMC coming shortly after he was moved - I believe that was crucial with Gorton`s earlier decision to move him, and that particular trade started the whole rebuild and a new direction for this franchise, and we acquired Lias. :)

I agree...I don't want to speculate either, but both of those incident did indeed happen. Both of those players are also gone.

Realistically, we probably wont ever know for sure. Maybe when this generation of players moves on one of them will write a book like Sean Avery did. Or by some twist of fate or slip of the tongue one of the players or mgmt. staff tells one of the beat writers the truth. Until then, that's all we got!

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I highly doubt Stepan and Hank arguing after a goal against led to Stepan being traded. They both were/are leaders in the room. They both play an honest game and respect their teammates. No reason to make this point.

You are probably right. But, there are consistencies there worthy of noting.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
White plains

I am basing it on the premise that the guy might be THE guy in a different market. I remember rumors that Boston sending him to Dallas was also a little bit of a screw you to seguin bc they knew how much he liked being in a big lively city and market like Boston. NY has to be pretty appealing to him and a lot of guys. All they have to do is wait for free agency. A lot of guys are right there, this summer or next. Rangers cleared the bank partially to be a landing spot for these big guys coming up if they want to come to NY. Everything came into account on why they had to do it now. That's definitely part of it, otherwises gorton and company are not doing their jobs. You are a team everyone wants to play for, as the GM of that team you have to know and be prepping and able to make a play for these guys. And they now have the ability too. And a pirates booty worth of players, prospects, and picks.

And every exiting player landed in an ideal spot. Beautifully done

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

Yeah that just needed to happen. Unless he's Jekyll and Hyde, Stepan seems very easygoing... Jovo said things that would make it believable that it may have been the case with Miller. Who knows?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think you're both partially correct.

Yzerman had asked in the past about Miller, and had him on his radar for a while.

With this particular trade, it was Gorton who brought up Miller to Yzerman as the deal took shape.

My guess is that both GMs saw something they liked in the players they received, prior to the trade.

As for who asked for whom, it probably depends on how you want to view it. Yzerman with the initial inquiry (or inquiries), Gorton remembering it and initializing in this particular conversation.

Either way, I think both teams focused on a player they had on their radar for a while.

By all accounts Gorton wanted Namestnikov. Miller was added on the request of Yzerman.

Negotiations between GMs does not work by GMs offering players left and right. You let someone know who you want and ask what they want in return. Often the communication includes one GM making available a list of players that isn’t off the table so to speak.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Trying to find the article by Joe Smith (Bolts beat), but he said that Yzerman wanted Miller, and Gorton then asked for Namestnikov in return.

In that order.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is anyone else absolutely loving Namestnikov? He plays with a swagger and he has a great feel for the game at both ends of the rink. On top of that he plays a nice physical game as well. He reminds me a bit of what Andersson brings with his quietly physical game. I'd give him a long-term deal to be part of this team for a while especially given his versatility.

I’ve taken some games off since the TDL and haven’t seen everything, but I love many things from Names — BUT — I definitely want more. There are many shifts where he does not do much.

In a sense he is a bit of a Russian Chris Kreider. There is a lot to like, but he can also take 5 shifts during 15 minutes and do very very little.

I definitely find my self asking myself if Names possibly ‘could put it together’, and become a legit top line player. Even if he basically is the same age as Kreider I wouldn’t rule it out, if he just found the right role on the right line. He hs a ton of hockey in him.

But I also worry about how he isn’t really around the puck a ton — there is a reason for that. Great top line speed, but not a great low intensity skater who takes away ice and win a lot of battles etc.

Can we lock up Names long term on say a 4.5m contract? Could be a good investment with little risk.

Reactions: leetch99

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

I don’t buy that either. I’m sure there’s a lot of aniomosity between players (in all sports) that never leaks out of the lockeroom.

Miller might just not have been a good fit for the NYC life. People are attracted to different things. I had, and still have high hopes for him. This was a particularly frustrating season for a lot guys and Miller’s attitude and play seemed off.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
One thing that does comes to mind is this.

Stepan and Hank got into two seasons ago. Hank voiced his opinion after a goal. Stepan went back at him.

Stepan was traded shortly thereafter.

Miller and Hank had a similar discussion on the ice. Seemed a bit animated. Micheletti commented on it during the game. Said these guys are competitors, or something along those lines.

Miller was traded at the deadline.

I certainly don't know what was said in the room. For all I know they went out for dinner and drinks afterwards and laughed about it. But..both players at some point argued on ice with Hank. Both players were removed.

Yet our defense's "key" pieces stayed the same year in year out despite Hank giving them earfuls night after night.

This is just grasping for straws.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’ve seen Hank have animated discussions with just about every defenseman he’s played with for a significant amount of time.

Yeah, and I to be honest this takes all the edge of it.

As a European Hank has more influences from soccer than any other sport. In soccer it’s more the norm than the exception that the goalie gives his team an earful a couple of times per game. It’s very very common. It’s no different than a coach speaking up behind the bench, I’ve not counted but I think you see it like 3-4 times — per game — in soccer. And nobody is even remotely hurt by it. Just like a young player in the NHL isn’t hurt if his coach gets agitated behind the bench for things the coach think should be corrected.

But in the NHL it’s more unusual for a goalie to give it to a D. And that potentially makes it an issue, but by now since Hank has done it for a decade and a half and to Girardi and McD as often as anyone else — I would bet my right arm that Pionk, Gilmour, TDA and co aren’t hurt more by it than if Ruff tell them ‘let’s start to win some ****ing battles guys’.

Reactions: NewYorkNick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad