Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
One bad game? He’s been awful

He was very good against the Preds. I wouldn't worry too much about him, but he needs to start his A game if he wants to showcase himself. This will only do him good, a new contract here or better money elsewhere.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's gotten absolutely blown by like he was Staal almost a handful of times already this year.

He's always been pretty quick in tight spaces and even that isn't there yet.

This may just be a matter of getting his feet under him again, but they're definite red flags.

A bad knee will certainly hamper him, but he's been turnstiled pretty regularly throughout his career. This isn't anything new for him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He was very good against the Preds. I wouldn't worry too much about him, but he needs to start his A game if he wants to showcase himself. This will only do him good, a new contract here or better money elsewhere.

He was far from good in that game let alone very good. He’s been terrible. And frankly he’s been terrible going back to last year.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
From the last thread:
I'm not saying chytil played bad or deserves to be sent down, but the wake up call is the fact he's playing on that 4th line. He won't be there long at his age. Either big minutes in Hartford or back up the line up. I mean, how can you not take that as eyebrow raising. Not saying his ticket is punched but it's something to watch.
I think because this isn't a situation where he's looked poor and slipped down the lineup as a result.

He's looked good. This strikes me more as Quinn doing serious line juggling. Plus, Quinn has stated he doesn't see this roster as having a 4th line. It's not like Chytil is playing with McLeod and Glass. He's playing with Namestnikov and Lettieri. That line isn't a 4th line in the way more people traditionally think of it.

And if Chytil gets similar 5v5 ice time and the same PP time, then who cares what number line he's on?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wyshynski word for word on nhl network right now saying what I’m saying he’s singling our Shattenkirk because he can to send s message.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And if it is? Making an example out of someone is an effective tool so long as it's not overused. Also, with the stories we know he heard about a lack of accountability under AV, it shouldn't be surprising if a coach feels the need to over-correct with his vets.

The last part of your statement answers the first question. My concern is Quinn coming in a bit too heavy handed. I'm all for accountability but to bench Shattenkirk and still trot Marc Staal out there just does not sit well with me. Especially when I perceive it as an overreaction to a generally small sample size.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Leave Staal alone for a while, there will be plenty of time to bash him. He's locked up for another 3 years, thanks to Slats and his genius deals.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like heavy handed would be if he went after Howden, Chytil or a younger kid at this point.

Benching Shattenkirk for a game because he knows he can take it and is likely to respond strikes me more as a calculated risk.

Don't know if it will work, but I don't think it's far-fetched approach by any stretch.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The last part of your statement answers the first question. My concern is Quinn coming in a bit too heavy handed. I'm all for accountability but to bench Shattenkirk and still trot Marc Staal out there just does not sit well with me. Especially when I perceive it as an overreaction to a generally small sample size.

Except that for the message that the coach seems to want to send, Staal hasn’t done anything wrong.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Except that for the message that the coach seems to want to send, Staal hasn’t done anything wrong.
No he hasn't. I agree. He just doesn't belong on NHL ice anymore. He was bad last year and is noticeably worse this year and allowing him to still play while benching a guy that is coming off a serious knee injury just seems wrong. :dunno:

I felt like he should have given Shatty 7-10 games to work it out before benching him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We wouldn't be able to ice a team if Quinn benched everyone who deserved it.

We've had 3 games... I'd be shocked if Staal isn't benched at some point if he continues to play this way. Kirk gets the honor of being 1st... that's all this is. I'll venture he won't be the last vet to watch a game or two from the press box.

Also, we don't know what the deal is with Kirk... I would hope the coaching staff has more info than we do.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No he hasn't. I agree. He just doesn't belong on NHL ice anymore. He was bad last year and is noticeably worse this year and allowing him to still play while benching a guy that is coming off a serious knee injury just seems wrong. :dunno:

I felt like he should have given Shatty 7-10 games to work it out before benching him.

I guess I view it as more of a message being sent than a direct indictment of Shattenkirk.

And because of his experience with Shattenkirk, I'm sure his belief is that Shattenkirk is more likely to "get it" than Staal and that the potential impact on the team is greater.

I just think this move is more nuanced than it appears on the surface.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I also think this is part of Quinn getting know his players a bit more as well. 6 preseason games doesn't give him a lot of time to evaluate his team. I have a feeling we will be seeing these types of scratches for a while

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

A player who is fighting it is one thing. But Shattenkirk's issue has seemed to me to be more one of engagement, rather than one of rust or the ups and downs that all players go through over the course of a season.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Howden with Kreider and Zucc as wingers, cool for him. But Quinn shouldn't put too much pressure on the kid, I hope he can handle it if this stays a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->