Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's really disturbing, we have 6-7 million dollar guys like Staal and Shatty, and they don't play well at all :thumbd:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
To me you look at the two vets he’s benched. Hayes and Shatty its the two guys he has the best relationship with and probably the two guys he could pull aside and say look I’m doing this to spark the team have my back here.

He’s not doing it to staal because he doesn’t have the relationship to do it.

It’s not the easy way out completely but it’s also not the toughest either.

Staal should be sat. And Zucc should have been benched too.

:laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To me you look at the two vets he’s benched. Hayes and Shatty its the two guys he has the best relationship with and probably the two guys he could pull aside and say look I’m doing this to spark the team have my back here.

He’s not doing it to staal because he doesn’t have the relationship to do it.

It’s not the easy way out completely but it’s also not the toughest either.

Staal should be sat. And Zucc should have been benched too.

My relationship with Staal would be "I'll put a literal corpse on the ice before you, feel free to waive your NMC at any time."

This is why I could never be a coach.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He was never a speedy skater to begin with though.

He's gotten absolutely blown by like he was Staal almost a handful of times already this year.

He's always been pretty quick in tight spaces and even that isn't there yet.

This may just be a matter of getting his feet under him again, but they're definite red flags.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
For years everyone is yelling there is no accountability. People are screaming that the vets aren’t performing and never get benched/scratched. Now, an new coach comes in and actually holds these guys accountable. Hayes, Kirk, Names, etc. and all this fan base does is complain about it and ask why Staal isn’t benched. This is why our team always sucks. This is why we only have 1 cup in 80 years. Staal has nothing to do with a Kirk scratch. Staal has not been as bad as Kirk. Kirk is supposed to be a top 2 pairing dman and has looked slow, stupid, weak, tired and generally, useless. ADA and Pionk have out play him and mcquaid has our worked him. Kirk has earned everything he has gotten.

Reactions: Blurt Vision

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
While true, fundamentally I just think it is a poor decision. While I could be reading WAY too much into this (fully admit that is a possibility), it strikes me as a first time coach attempting to make an example out of someone.

And if it is? Making an example out of someone is an effective tool so long as it's not overused. Also, with the stories we know he heard about a lack of accountability under AV, it shouldn't be surprising if a coach feels the need to over-correct with his vets.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
From the last thread:
I'm not saying chytil played bad or deserves to be sent down, but the wake up call is the fact he's playing on that 4th line. He won't be there long at his age. Either big minutes in Hartford or back up the line up. I mean, how can you not take that as eyebrow raising. Not saying his ticket is punched but it's something to watch.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
For years everyone is yelling there is no accountability. People are screaming that the vets aren’t performing and never get benched/scratched. Now, an new coach comes in and actually holds these guys accountable. Hayes, Kirk, Names, etc. and all this fan base does is complain about it and ask why Staal isn’t benched. This is why our team always sucks. This is why we only have 1 cup in 80 years. Staal has nothing to do with a Kirk scratch. Staal has not been as bad as Kirk. Kirk is supposed to be a top 2 pairing dman and has looked slow, stupid, weak, tired and generally, useless. ADA and Pionk have out play him and mcquaid has our worked him. Kirk has earned everything he has gotten.
While I agree with most of your post, Staal has been brutal. Yes Kirk has as well but you could probably attribute 60% of the goals we've given up directly to Marc Staal.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I sort of miss the Glass debates.

Given he added so much intangibles and leadership to those teams as those prospects from that era developed, I am surprised the Rangers did not already hand over those responsibilities to those prospects who developed in that era who are still on the Rangers.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is the first generation of benchings, in what will probably be a long line of them this season.

I also think the benchings probably have slightly more to do with expectations than they do on-ice performance.

Certain guys are being counted on to lead this team, and are capable of doing so. When they don't, it's particularly noteworthy.

Higher expectations come with increased scrutiny.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The thing about accountability is that it's subjective on who you believe should be sitting and who you believe should be playing. Often, I find myself disagreeing with who the coach decides to sit, and who they decide to keep on truckin. To be optimistic, at least Quinn is benching people. To be pessimistic, he's benched two guys so far this season (Shatt and Vlad) and I've disagreed with both.

But. That's a me problem.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He's not wrong. If Shattenkirk and Hayes are benched for on-ice performance, then Zucc could have been benched against Carolina as well for that exact same reason. He had a bad game

You don't bench your best and most experienced playmaker for one bad game, give me a break.

And that game was even more on Quinn, and his failed 7D project. It was chaos out there with zero structure...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Zibanejad too.

Staal has had 3 bad games though, including sucking during the pre season.

Could be scenario where the Quinn understands what Staal is or isn't at this point. Not that he's comfortable with a poor performance, but on his list of priorities it's probably not as noteworthy as a more capable player who is expected to contribute more.

There are some guys being counted on to lead this team on the ice and claim their stake as the leaders of today and tomorrow.

I would not count Staal as one of them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You don't bench your best and most experienced playmaker for one bad game, give me a break.

And that game was even more on Quinn, and his failed 7D project. It was chaos out there with zero structure...

Zuccarello is neither our best nor our most experienced player. He's top-5 in both those categories though.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Fair enough. But also touching a bit on what edge said that a player like Kirk is expected to do more, and thus his poor performance is that much more impactful than our number 6 defenseman. Regardless of salary. And I don’t know about the rest of you but Names had a great game after he was benched and being called out by Vally on the one goal was kinda crap. He played hard.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
If Nylander is available what do you think it would take to get him in the blue, red and white? He’d look good next to Zibanejad.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think it's about expectations, I think it's more about, hypothetically if they did bench Staal and the D core played well, how are they going to put Staal back in? Shattenkirk everyone knows he is coming back in because he is a good enough player to not look out of place on a NHL team even if his defense is not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->