Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Return of Beaver Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'd like to see a few more games out of Farnham before I'd be willing to consider giving him an ELC. Maybe even wait until after the exhibition season to see who hits waivers. If they did sign him I wouldn't be pissed, though. He seems like an OK fit as a spare.

Wouldn't be an ELC :) He'd most likely get a 650k one way contract and could be sent down without penalty

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i thought they were both FANTASTIC.

It's great to see so much mobility on the back end.

and then..Marc Staal gets on the ice.

:shakehead:cry::(

I'm like dying inside thinking about the fact that this ****ing loser of a hockey player will get ice time after seeing what Pionk can do... Why did we not buy this guy out?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i wonder how the lines would look if both Andersson and Chytil made the team...

would be really interesting for sure.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
MZA - Hayes - Nash
Vesey - Miller - Grabner
Fasth - Andersson - Chytil

Puempel/Desharnais

Holy crap that is a RIDICULOUSLY fast lineup.

Young, Talented, Fast, hard working.

And the very real possibility to be an all or nothing lineup. get shutout one game, score 8 the next.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Farnham is trash on skates, 9 minutes of decent play in the first pre season game of the season doesn't change that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm like dying inside thinking about the fact that this ****ing loser of a hockey player will get ice time after seeing what Pionk can do... Why did we not buy this guy out?

I've said this all summer. Pionk/ADA/Staal's cap penalty>>>>Staal on full salary.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i'm trying to think of a lineup in the NHL as fast as that...and if you figure the defense is something like...

McD - Shattenkirk
Smith - Skjei
Holden/Staal - Deangelo/Pionk
Beregazlov

holy crap..thats an incredibly mobile puck moving defense as well...with of course 1 glaring exception.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Forget agitating, Farnham is simply a marginal NHL talent.

yes but how many tanner glass's is he worth?

Wanna see Andersson create some more chances and get things on net but his hustle out there is good and he keeps going to the right spots. That line didn't seem to totally gel but not surprising either really

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

That "loser of a hockey player" was part of the transformation of this franchise that turned things around. And if not for significant, freak, injuries he would probably still be a stalwart back there.

So watch your mouth.

Also absolutely comical to read a fan's comments about a rookie after ONE PRESEASON GAME, only to use it as a jab at a veteran who has been a Ranger a long time. As much as Staal frustrated me last year and his play has detoriated, there is something to be said about being respectful and loyal.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
i wonder how the lines would look if both Andersson and Chytil made the team...

would be really interesting for sure.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
MZA - Hayes - Nash
Vesey - Miller - Grabner
Fasth - Andersson - Chytil

Puempel/Desharnais

Holy crap that is a RIDICULOUSLY fast lineup.

Young, Talented, Fast, hard working.

And the very real possibility to be an all or nothing lineup. get shutout one game, score 8 the next.

MZA needs to be on Hayes' RW, and Vesey always seems to play his best next to Nash.

I also still prefer Grabner and Fast as the 4th line wings.

And, I'm of the opinion that both Andersson and Chytil will be better served being returned to their respective Euro teams. Next year, however, all bets are off.

Both Holden and Staal need to be removed. Holden's ineptitude with the puck was so jarring in comparison to watching ADA and Pionk.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
MZA needs to be on Hayes' RW, and Vesey always seems to play his best next to Nash.

I also still prefer Grabner and Fast as the 4th line wings.

And, I'm of the opinion that both Andersson and Chytil will be better served being returned to their respective Euro teams. Next year, however, all bets are off.

Both Holden and Staal need to be removed. Holden's ineptitude with the puck was so jarring in comparison to watching ADA and Pionk.

can ada/pionk play their off sides?

you could really have some fun then with the lineups...

id agree that the 2 kids would be better served in the minors...but sometimes, youre surprised by these kids.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
That "loser of a hockey player" was part of the transformation of this franchise that turned things around. And if not for significant, freak, injuries he would probably still be a stalwart back there.

So watch your mouth.

Also absolutely comical to read a fan's comments about a rookie after ONE PRESEASON GAME, only to use it as a jab at a veteran who has been a Ranger a long time. As much as Staal frustrated me last year and his play has detoriated, there is something to be said about being respectful and loyal.

Well said.

At his current contract and play he is a detriment to this team, however he deserves respect.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

So watch your mouth.

Staal is awful. Calling him awful is 100% accurate.

Youre right on everything you said there regarding being part of the rebirth, and being destroyed by injuries.

but hes awful right now. literally a 7th defenseman on just about every team in the NHL.

still has a good pokecheck, still can defend pretty well 1 on 1. he has some positives..but with the puck on his stick, the entire game slows down to a crawl. im not sure how much of that changes if hes healthy.

the game back then is VERY different than the game today.

I dont think hes an effing loser...but I think hes a terrible hockey player and we'd be better served with him off the ice than on.

i wouldnt have bought him out in retrospect...i'd have a coach that just wouldnt play him. We can afford to carry his cap hit this year and not play him..so why take the penalty for an extra year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Smith can play LD, I am of the opinion he's a better LD than RD. McD, Skjei, Smith on LD can cover for some of the risks that Shattenkirk, Deangelo, Pionk are likely to take and get in trouble for taking at times.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
who is in your top 9 over them?

That's what this lineup is missing. You could give Puempel a shot, (and, it looks like that's what AV is doing with the Puempel/Hayes/Zucc line) but, I think Gorton may have to look outside the organization to fill that spot. All summer the talk has been about trading for a center, but, if Miller gives you what he did last night while putting up 50+ points, the need becomes a middle six LW. Maybe LA gets a tryout there to start the season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well said.

At his current contract and play he is a detriment to this team, however he deserves respect.

It was the same with Girardi. He'd get dinged up and people would be rejoicing. Yeah, I understand it was better for the team to have him out, but show some ****ing respect to a guy who was a foundational player in the team's return to relevance and success.

Both Staalsy and Girardi are tough dudes who always played hard. Great Rangers, even if their final few seasons were less than exemplary (I know Staal is still here). Nothing but respect for those two from me.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

So watch your mouth.

Amen to this.

Guy has bled blue his whole career... concussions, lost an eye for Christ's sake.

Yes that career is coming to an end.

But show SOME level of respect.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Staal is awful. Calling him awful is 100% accurate.

Youre right on everything you said there regarding being part of the rebirth, and being destroyed by injuries.

but hes awful right now. literally a 7th defenseman on just about every team in the NHL.

still has a good pokecheck, still can defend pretty well 1 on 1. he has some positives..but with the puck on his stick, the entire game slows down to a crawl. im not sure how much of that changes if hes healthy.

the game back then is VERY different than the game today.

I dont think hes an effing loser...but I think hes a terrible hockey player and we'd be better served with him off the ice than on.

i wouldnt have bought him out in retrospect...i'd have a coach that just wouldnt play him. We can afford to carry his cap hit this year and not play him..so why take the penalty for an extra year.
There is nothing wrong with accepting his play is abysmal at this point. That he doesnt belong on this roster. That his skating is worse than it already was. He was always just average at best in that department. But his long reach and positioning always made up for it against the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby who can fly.

They couldnt buyout both Staal and Girardi. That would have been detrimental to cap management moving forward. Next year is when you likely see Staal bought out.

But regardless it is blood boiling to read someone calling him a bleeping loser of a hockey player. Makes me think that fan, as well as any other who agrees, did not grow up watching this team during the dark years which existed from basically '99-'06. That was awful. So those same fans, to me, are spoiled. Because if they did grow up watching this team during those years there certainly would be an appreciation for the likes of Girardi and Staal. As well as Callahan, Dubinsky, and Anisimov. All needed to go at their respective times. Staal's time is soon. But don't come on here and act like some neanderthal trash talking a person who has been an integral part of this franchise going from the laughing stock of the league with poor contracts handed out to aging veterans, lazy play, and playoff-less seasons, to a franchise that is respected and competes every year.

Have some respect.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I've said this all summer. Pionk/ADA/Staal's cap penalty>>>>Staal on full salary.

I know that's what I never understood. My guess is they wanted to try and see if Staal can build and value... But honestly it's going to be a rehash of Girardi. Nothing good will come off Staal this year.
I'm happy to eat Crow on that statement

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Staal wasn't going anywhere this year with the Rangers unsure of what they have.

Staal, warts and all, does bring a level of experience to the blueline. He's not developing, he is what he is, so there's not a risk of potentially ruining him.

With other players, namely ADA and Pionk, there's still development and nurturing that needs to take place at this stage of their careers.

If you buy out Staal, and McD goes down, you are lacking a single defenseman who has played more even 100 regular season games for the team (heck the closest guy would be sophomore defender Brady Skjei).

If Pionk and ADA make that transition and the Rangers believe they are ready to make the leap, I think you'll see Holden moved first and then Staal bought out next summer. It also saves a year of having his salary on the books.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

So watch your mouth.

I mean it's not like that money is a guarantees contract or anything -_-

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
But don't come on here and act like some neanderthal trash talking a person who has been an integral part of this franchise going from the laughing stock of the league with poor contracts handed out to aging veterans, lazy play, and playoff-less seasons, to a franchise that is respected and competes every year.

Staal was an aging veteran that was handed a poor contract. And he's had his fair share of lazy plays over the past few seasons. He gets paid 6 million dollars a season to play a game poorly. He is rightfully going to be criticized and mocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->