Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Thirdly: in the period 2007-08 to 2017-18 the Rangers are fourth in GA/60 with 2.40 (Boston are 1st with 2.33). Over the same period, the Rangers are 25th in xGA/60 with 2.70 (Edmonton are last with 2.86).

Looking at the difference between GA/60 and xGA/60 the Rangers are first by an insane margin.
1st: NYR, +0.30
2nd: BOS, +0.17
3rd: ANA, +0.15
4th: MTL, +0.08
5th: VAN, +0.07

In fact only nine teams have a positive differential at all!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lucic is pretty tough. 15-20 years ago though he's have a lot more and better competition in the tough department. Wilson is another--he wouldn't be nearly as effective in his role for the Caps.
That’s what I find so offensive about Wilson. He plays a style that the league has spent years telling players not to play. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.
Now that the league has cottoned-on to him, he’s being neutralized. But he won’t care. Got his payday. At least the caps will be strapped with an awful contract but, it’s still crap.

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers 15-16
Shots Against: 2480... League Average: 2426
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 797, 30/30 NHL teams (ala last place)

Rangers 16-17
Shots Against: 2460... League Average: 2468
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 767, 29/31 NHL teams (trailed only by the Islanders and Coyotes Respectively)

Rangers 17-18
Shots Against: 2883... League Average: 2609 -- 11% more shots (2883) than the LEAGUE AVERAGE (2609) in 17-18...
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 845, 31/32 NHL teams (trailed only by the islanders)

SMELL A TREND?!

Hank's the only reason this team could even perform the way they did. With an actual defensive system, Hank's only going to improve. It's not his age that is causing his performance to drop, it's the increase number of chances again, and the additional shots against... RB, please ****ing stop with this "trade everyone agenda", it's getting old. I'm no fan boy, but I am for real when I tell you Hank is the only reason this team was competitive. Put the Isles goaltending on this team and they would have been bottom 3 last year
Very interesting. This really puts Hank’s value in perspective. Thank you.

Reactions: Cag29

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
That’s what I find so offensive about Wilson. He plays a style that the league has spent years telling players not to play. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.
Now that the league has cottoned-on to him, he’s being neutralized. But he won’t care. Got his payday. At least the caps will be strapped with an awful contract but, it’s still crap.

This is why consequences need to be severe and immediate. Otherwise you create a system where the ones following the rules are punished and the ones who disregard them are rewarded.

If you have a rule, enforce it. If you're not going to enforce it, get rid of it. No gray areas.

Reactions: egelband

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rangers 15-16
Shots Against: 2480... League Average: 2426
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 797, 30/30 NHL teams (ala last place)

Rangers 16-17
Shots Against: 2460... League Average: 2468
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 767, 29/31 NHL teams (trailed only by the Islanders and Coyotes Respectively)

Rangers 17-18
Shots Against: 2883... League Average: 2609 -- 11% more shots (2883) than the LEAGUE AVERAGE (2609) in 17-18...
High Danger Scoring Chances Against: 845, 31/32 NHL teams (trailed only by the islanders)

SMELL A TREND?!

Hank's the only reason this team could even perform the way they did. With an actual defensive system, Hank's only going to improve. It's not his age that is causing his performance to drop, it's the increase number of chances again, and the additional shots against... RB, please ****ing stop with this "trade everyone agenda", it's getting old. I'm no fan boy, but I am for real when I tell you Hank is the only reason this team was competitive. Put the Isles goaltending on this team and they would have been bottom 3 last year

If it wasn't for Lundqvist,the team would have been terrible last season. The team was successful when he basically carried them on his back. Where did I dispute that? The team played well in November and December. He had his best numbers in those two months.

Hank is going to improve playing behind this defense which is the worst group of D the Rangers have had since after the 2005 lockout? Maybe even before that lockout. Quinn is going to magically make the team better?

Lundqvist's numbers were good were right there in the first two seasons of AV's time as Rangers coach. The "system" didn't hurt his numbers in those two seasons.

Just use the ignore button if you don't like my "agenda". Everyone here has an "agenda" Gorton has nearly traded everyone. I guess Gorton must agree with my "agenda". It's not like the team has remained the same. Click on your profile at the top of the page. Second column and second to last item. People You Ignore. Please add me. Type in my name in the empty space.

Lundqvist is 36 years old with bad left knee. He will be 37 in March. It's a shame the Rangers didn't win his prime.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If it wasn't for Lundqvist,the team would have been terrible last season. The team was successful when he basically carried them on his back. Where did I dispute that? The team played well in November and December. He had his best numbers in those two months.

Hank is going to improve playing behind this defense which is the worst group of D the Rangers have had since after the 2005 lockout? Maybe even before that lockout. Quinn is going to magically make the team better?

Lundqvist's numbers were good were right there in the first two seasons of AV's time as Rangers coach. The "system" didn't hurt his numbers in those two seasons.

Just use the ignore button if you don't like my "agenda". Everyone here has an "agenda" Gorton has nearly traded everyone. I guess Gorton must agree with my "agenda". It's not like the team has remained the same. Click on your profile at the top of the page. Second column and second to last item. People You Ignore. Please add me. Type in my name in the empty space.

Lundqvist is 36 years old with bad left knee. He will be 37 in March. It's a shame the Rangers didn't win his prime.
I dunno....the difference between this years defense and last years defense is Nick Holden and a Ryan mcdonagh who played the vast majority of last year injured.

At various points of the season we had what...ogara, Sproul, kampfer, Holden, staal, and a clusterfrak of Brendan Smith playing minutes.

I'm not saying this year is a good defense...I'm just not sure how much worse it will actually be...especially if it can stay healthy...

The question which will be answered by the end of this season is..how much of our horrendous defense was systems and how much was personnel.

It's clearly not a binary thing...it's a combo of both. I happen to think it was way more systems than personnel.
I guess we'll see.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Rangers traded McDonagh at the right time. A lot of miles and playoff hockey under his belt. Tampa signed him to an 8 year deal. Good luck to them. That contract is going to look awful in four years. He's already started to decline. He's not a #1 defenseman anymore like he was from 2012 to 2015.

Even with a declining McDonagh, the talent on last year's blue line is better than this year's. This year the Rangers will have Skjei and who else? Shattenkirk is just ok in his own end. His bread and butter is the power play. He'll put up 40 to 45 points but be just ok defensively.

Staal is cooked, but a zone defensive scheme would benefit him the most.

Afyer that, a bunch of question marks. Is Smith even going to be in NHL shape?

Is Pionk going to tighten up his play in the defensive zone? Will he even be in the NHL

Will DeAngelo be more consistent? Will he even be on the Rangers?

The defense is going to be bad this year even with a more conservative zone system. They'll push the puck up ice better on the transition but continue to hemorrhage chances against.

Just because Lundqvist is ok with the rebuild now, doesn't mean he will be in two years or later this year even. Over/under January 15 that he has his first public hissy fit and calls out the defense?

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
What Tampa was thinking when they traded for McDonagh and then signed him for 8 years I'll never know, considering they already had Hedman and Sergachyov on the left side. Meanwhile their right side is looking completely shot since Strålman fell apart last year.

If Dorion wouldn't budge on Karlsson, rent Green from Detroit. Or if you're looking at someone younger, try to get Dougie Hamilton or Tyson Barrie for a package based around Yanni "Cory Conacher" Gourde.

Reactions: haveandare

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Oh, and Hank's GSAA finishes between 2007-08 and 2014-15 were as follows:

1st, 2nd (behind Thomas), 1st, 2nd (behind Thomas), 1st, 1st, 1st, 11th

I.E. he should have five Vezinas - not one.

These stats should be stickied in a thread on the main forum. So sick of fans of other teams who don't watch Lundqvist at all acting like they actually know what they're talking about.

The people who vote for the NHL awards should expand the variety of stats they look at as well.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The defense will not be worse this year.

1) I don't think it's possible

2) I'll take Quinn and an AHL six over AV and an NHL six, unless Quinn is just as demented which is unlikely.
Yeah I sorta agree with this. Avs system produced some incomprehensibly bad defensive sive numbers.

I don't think this like one of the worst defenses in nhl history type teame...I think it's more like a 20ish defensive team.

Not good....of course...but not make you want to tear your eyes out bad.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
From how Quinn has been talking about his defensive system, it definitely seems like something that will take a bit to work. Will require a heck of a lot more communication that AV's system, which was pretty much "okay, the puck carrier is near that guy, so I'm not going to do anything usefulOMGTHEY'REBEHINDOURNETLETMEJOININTOO"

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
From how Quinn has been talking about his defensive system, it definitely seems like something that will take a bit to work. Will require a heck of a lot more communication that AV's system, which was pretty much "okay, the puck carrier is near that guy, so I'm not going to do anything usefulOMGTHEY'REBEHINDOURNETLETMEJOININTOO"

AVs system required a HUGE amount of communication.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Could have fooled me. Didn't seem like a lot of communication at all with the amount of open opposing players all the time.

What you’re talking about is execution.

Man systems always require large amounts of communication and AVs was an extreme man system, so thus more communication.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What you’re talking about is execution.

Man systems always require large amounts of communication and AVs was an extreme man system, so thus more communication.
If you're playing a man to man system and you leave a man open at even strength, like they did a lot of, that's not just failing to execute. That's failing to communicate.

Failing to execute anything in any system usually results from failing to communicate properly.

Man to man system doesn't require a lot of communication.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If you're playing a man to man system and you leave a man open at even strength, like they did a lot of, that's not just failing to execute. That's failing to communicate.

Failing to execute anything in any system usually results from failing to communicate properly.

Man to man system doesn't require a lot of communication.

Failing to communicate is an execution problem. What you're saying is that they did require a lot of communication and they didn't do it, which I agree with... especially as the quality of the D went downhill. But that's not an aspect of AVs system... it was a problem with his coaching perhaps, since player compliance is a reflection of how effective the coach is being.

The more moving parts you have, the more communication it requires to keep everything running correctly. Man requires much more communication than zone.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
IIRC, he tweaked it after when Willy Nylander jumped on him after they won the WC.
A one time tweak with nothing reported since and no signs of laboring with it does not mean he has a bad knee or lingering issue

It is a fabricated statement with minimal foundation

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A one time tweak with nothing reported since and no signs of laboring with it does not mean he has a bad knee or lingering issue

It is a fabricated statement with minimal foundation

He missed the worlds this year because of it and mentioned that it had been bothering him all year.

Im not at all surprised that his knee was barking at him. He's played a shit load of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad