Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXV - French disconnect in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Moving on into new pastures. A scout told me today the Torts Dissident is going to wind up in Montreal. Not really any news...

normand Flynn on Montreal radio said from his sources they are asking for suzuki Montreal should tread lightly. On the other other hand Montreal’s young stars are actually performing and I’m sure increasing their trade value

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
normand Flynn on Montreal radio said from his sources they are asking for suzuki Montreal should tread lightly. On the other other hand Montreal’s young stars are actually performing and I’m sure increasing their trade value
The audio isn't loading for me. I'd be cised to listen.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m not self righteous enough to pretend I wouldn’t still be thrilled to land PLD (depending on price, of course). It was a gutless shift but it’s one shift. It’s not like he dogged it for 12 minutes and then was benched and, not knowing what goes on behind the scenes, I’m willing to guess that, unjustifiable as it is - especially to let your teammates down with that kind of play - there’s two sides to the story. Who knows what Torts said to him on the bench or in the room before the game.

Doesn’t justify it, but I don’t know anyone whose never reached a point of ‘f*** this’ in their life when pushed enough. And of course, I don’t know that Torts said/did something that directly led to the shift, but PLD’s effort has always been praised up until this moment. As much as hearing the other side of the story wouldn’t make it right for PLD to quit like that, it also doesn’t mean he was going to play the entire night like that either. Maybe he was having a 5 minute hissy fit because of what went on in the room before puck drop.

I judge PLD for the behavior and I think it’s selfish and betrays his teammates, but I’m also not going to extrapolate about 60 seconds into “I don’t even want this head case on my team”. I do want him on my team, and I think he’d fit our needs extremely well. If anything, I hope this brings his value down into a more realistic range where we can get him at the cost of a fringe 1C/2C rather than paying like he’s a star 1C. He’s obviously miserable in whatever the situation is in Columbus. Ryan O’Reilly said he had lost the passion to play when he was in Buffalo and then turned around and won the Conn Smythe in St. Louis shortly after. Both Ovie and Sid had “controller disconnected” memes for similarly completely quitting on plays in the past (which I believe resulted in goals against).

The fact is, no one actually knows why Dubois wants out so... no one can truly judge the situation completely. Obviously I’m not telling anyone not to judge based on what they saw, only exercising restraint in the knowledge that there are two sides to every story. Kid led his team in scoring last year and was point per game in the playoffs. If Torts has been antagonizing him to the point where he asked out before the season began (it’s been confirmed the request was initially made over the summer and suggested that Jarmo told him it would be easier to move him with a contract in place and no missed games/camp) than I’d wonder what more Torts wants from him and question what goes on in that locker room.

It will be telling to see what happens when Jones and Werenski need new contracts shortly down the road.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Yeah, I heard the segment. KK and Drouin were mentioned...

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Savant said:
I mean first off, from the crowd that says we shouldn’t trade Kakko because he was drafted at 2oa; Kotkaniemi was drafted at 3oa. Same rational there. There is obvious upside. Chytil never has been and probably never will be rated over Kotkaniemi. JK is still only 20 years old and he is proven to be a center where as FC still hasn’t proved he can play that position full time. Their stats are a bit of a wash, but JK plays in a more defensive team and FC is about -25 worse. Not that +\- is the best stat but (a) that’s a pretty big difference (b) I am not getting into fancy stats. Can you tell me why you think FC has closed the gap on JK ?

I don't see how he's a proven center and Chytil isn't. Chytil has more or less primarily played the position since he broke into the league and has done a pretty good job with it, His trajectory has moved in the right direction season to season.

JK has consistently had better line mates. It's much easier to get shit done with you're playing with Armia and Lekkonen than it is playing with some combination of Namesnikov, A gassed Kakko and the revolving door of who ever played on the left side of them last year. When he played with Kreider and Buchnevich? They collectively dominated, more so than those 2 did with Zibaenjad (smaller sample size, but facts are facts.)

I'll concede that JK has more value, but ALOT more value? Theres no basis for that other than draft position. Chytil has outperformed him despite less friendly usage over the last season +

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
I think when trading for PLD an organization has to be somewhat confident that he will be willing to stay beyond the 2 years.

Montreal he definitely would but I also believe being reunited with Panarin is something he would desire.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Just from a competitors perspective, what he did hurt.

Do I think he'd do that here?

abso-f*cking-lutely not.

This is a chill place to play and all, ride the subway, not any insane mobbing. Until you pull some shit like dogging. I do not think he would have the balls to do that to this team.

Hopefully we get him, but I tend to agree that Montreal grabs him.

still don't think he takes that team to the next level. Not even hating, just don't believe they win cups with Dubois plus what they will have to give up for him.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I’m not self righteous enough to pretend I wouldn’t still be thrilled to land PLD (depending on price, of course). It was a gutless shift but it’s one shift. It’s not like he dogged it for 12 minutes and then was benched and, not knowing what goes on behind the scenes, I’m willing to guess that, unjustifiable as it is - especially to let your teammates down with that kind of play - there’s two sides to the story. Who knows what Torts said to him on the bench or in the room before the game.

Doesn’t justify it, but I don’t know anyone whose never reached a point of ‘f*** this’ in their life when pushed enough. And of course, I don’t know that Torts said/did something that directly led to the shift, but PLD’s effort has always been praised up until this moment. As much as hearing the other side of the story wouldn’t make it right for PLD to quit like that, it also doesn’t mean he was going to play the entire night like that either. Maybe he was having a 5 minute hissy fit because of what went on in the room before puck drop.

I judge PLD for the behavior and I think it’s selfish and betrays his teammates, but I’m also not going to extrapolate about 60 seconds into “I don’t even want this head case on my team”. I do want him on my team, and I think he’d fit our needs extremely well. If anything, I hope this brings his value down into a more realistic range where we can get him at the cost of a fringe 1C/2C rather than paying like he’s a star 1C. He’s obviously miserable in whatever the situation is in Columbus. Ryan O’Reilly said he had lost the passion to play when he was in Buffalo and then turned around and won the Conn Smythe in St. Louis shortly after. Both Ovie and Sid had “controller disconnected” memes for similarly completely quitting on plays in the past (which I believe resulted in goals against).

The fact is, no one actually knows why Dubois wants out so... no one can truly judge the situation completely. Obviously I’m not telling anyone not to judge based on what they saw, only exercising restraint in the knowledge that there are two sides to every story. Kid led his team in scoring last year and was point per game in the playoffs. If Torts has been antagonizing him to the point where he asked out before the season began (it’s been confirmed the request was initially made over the summer and suggested that Jarmo told him it would be easier to move him with a contract in place and no missed games/camp) than I’d wonder what more Torts wants from him and question what goes on in that locker room.

It will be telling to see what happens when Jones and Werenski need new contracts shortly down the road.

He's a professional athlete making $5M a year during a pandemic where there are people who broke off their @$$. This sounds like a lot of excuses. He sees guys have left in the past and wants out, so he had no problem taking the money. How about playing hard for your organization, city, and fans until they move you? Where does this intentional effort help boost his value?

Reactions: bl02

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
We already have problems finding time for Kakko, so might as well involve Kravtsov in any deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->