Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
ADA is more offensively talented than any other Ranger D. Fox may come close and is likely going to be a better two-way defender, how much better considering size who knows.

i like that it looks like they're sacrificing some Troubda O in favor of him protecting Tony and our end. I am into it, hope they form a mega pair.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
i like that it looks like they're sacrificing some Troubda O in favor of him protecting Tony and our end. I am into it, hope they form a mega pair.

Trouba in my opinion could become a linchpin on D, like in the Rangers zone who can also make some plays to help them get out of it. That said I am not even worried about his production, him standing up at the blue line and if not, pushing the opposition wide to the boards, not allowing them to cut in, blocking the pass, protecting the net front... mostly making it difficult for the other team to generate is where I think he could be the most effective. If he can do that and pass to his partner, or make a safe/good outlet play himself to move the puck up ice consistently, that is what I'd like to see.

ADA different story, he is not likely to be the guy who can make those same plays. He should be concerned with being better with his stick defensively. He is not likely to be a big "rub him out" player. Yet breaking up plays and being in position would serve him well and when he gets those chances to break out he is pretty high end at doing so. PP and 5on5 presence in scoring is a huge advantage most teams do not have especially if they also have a Fox type who is also capable of making similar plays.

Reactions: Rongomania

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Trouba in my opinion could become a linchpin on D, like in the Rangers zone who can also make some plays to help them get out of it. That said I am not even worried about his production, him standing up at the blue line and if not, pushing the opposition wide to the boards, not allowing them to cut in, blocking the pass, protecting the net front... mostly making it difficult for the other team to generate is where I think he could be the most effective. If he can do that and pass to his partner, or make a safe/good outlet play himself to move the puck up ice consistently, that is what I'd like to see.

ADA different story, he is not likely to be the guy who can make those same plays. He should be concerned with being better with his stick defensively. He is not likely to be a big "rub him out" player. Yet breaking up plays and being in position would serve him well and when he gets those chances to break out he is pretty high end at doing so. PP and 5on5 presence in scoring is a huge advantage most teams do not have especially if they also have a Fox type who is also capable of making similar plays.

Really excited what Martin could do with this pair.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Tony D is getting traded eventually . Super talented they just need a LD more imo long term

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Tony D is getting traded eventually . Super talented they just need a LD more imo long term

Rangers are gathering a lot of players and pieces. The next step in a year or two (maybe that coincides with a more hard ass prepared coach than Quinn who I just don't see as leading this team when they're ready) is identifying which players they can win with and which players are expendable for other pieces.

Hagelin for example was a player to win with. Dubinsky and Anisimov were not.

It doesn't have to be entirely "The Mike Keenan Rule" which I've famously referred to on these boards where you trade all your skill and finesse guys for grinders, but they need more of that for sure. Tampa adding Blake Coleman and Zach Bogosian.

Is DeAngelo someone you win with or a regular season player? He's still young and was injured during the playoffs so he gets a pass. If he can help them down the stretch and win a round or two, maybe he's someone you keep and work around that.

Mike McEwen and Anton Stralman are not two defenders who were tough in the rugged Canadian farmboy way, but when playoff time came, they stepped it up.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He is underrated. Brady Skjei is overrated, arguably the most overrated player the Rangers have had the last 10 years.

Well yea Skjei is overrated but he’s still a top 4 Dman so let’s see where Schneider is at In 4 yrs. I think he’s playing for NYR but top 4 or 6

Miller , Robertson , Jones, Lundqvist added as potential Dmen longterm make this fun

Reactions: charliemurphy

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tony D is more than anything a very high caliber threat offensively. Many Ds get a ton of offense from dangerous situations, but Tony D creates high danger situations.

I was very critical of Gorton not locking up TDA two summers ago because he was clearly our 2nd best skater many nights. We were a listless team without him, but when he played he alone made things happen on a regular basis.

What really stands out and what separates him significantly from most others is just how fast he moves the puck. He isn’t a guy that holds on to the puck. This is almost a built in fault if PMDs. You have time back there. They are skilled, loves to have the puck. So they often slow the pace down a bit too much a bit too often. And I mean it’s really hard. You need to evaluate the ice, when playing on instinct and the instinct is to hold on to the puck it takes time to revaluate. It’s exactly like overpassing in the offensive zone. When shooting instantly you have one mindset, when passing first you have another mindset. A pass is more of a gentle thing, an instant shot if the puck bounces to you take a bit of a killer instinct. Hence why very talented hockey players sometimes get it very wrong.

Anyway, in this context TDA comes from the back end with speed under his skates and he in addition moves the puck really fast. Marginals are small, the wrong pass can easily cost you a breakaway or even send your bud to the hospital.

Due to especially his puck tempo along with his skating speed and skill we regularly get into situations on the ice that the defending team haven’t been able to set up against. There are no better situations than that.

I think that is a bit unfortunate with a scenario in which TDA is the odd man out on the blueline. Fox doesn’t bring much of this. I love Fox, but he brings other things. Trouba is more of a 2-way guy. Lundkvist is more of a Fox copy.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Would love to trade Tony DeAngelo. He's overrated

Overrated?

There's so many players that came to NYR as overrated but Tony D? He came here in a trade as a total wildcard. He was labeled a cancer. He shrugged off the label, led by example, and exceeded expectations by becoming the first NYR defenseman in nearly 2 decades to score 50 points in a single season. First guy to do it since Leetch. And he's Overrated?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The 3 year Stalin Plan (ok he went 5):

Pan Ziba Kakko
Laf PLD Krat
Krieder Barron Gauthier
Kho Richards Cuylle

Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Robertson/Jones Lundkvist
Having 2 of 3 of Fox, Lundqvist & Jones on the right side would not seem to jive with what Gorton and JD seem to be building.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Was just debating the Laine to the Canes thing on the main boards (y'all can laugh at me for even trying) and I realized Nashville might be a good landing spot for Georiev down the line depending on what goes on with Saros or if they have a 1A/1B type deal.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Having 2 of 3 of Fox, Lundqvist & Jones on the right side would not seem to jive with what Gorton and JD seem to be building.

Zac Jones is a LHD, and only plays on the right side occasionally when there is a need to.

I think he's a pretty solid candidate for the third pairing LHD. He's having a great season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Think there's a better chance the NHL awards the Rangers Jack Eichel for Buffalo signing Bryan Trottier as assistant coach than the NHL implementing anything resembling a post-Covid Amnesty buyout exception.

You're right. I'm just curious down the line if there's any ratification. Not like for 2022 but more so once Seattle is a few years in when covid is under control.

I think Trouba is fine for the next 2-3 years and we'll see how he does but if he stays the same and there's a chance to get out of that contract.....

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I believe that he is probably getting traded. BUT, if he goes out and paces 70-70+ points AND can play on left AND somehow improves defensively, that may need to be rethought.

Yeah, and if I win the Power Ball this week, and Mega Millions next week, and Publisher's Clearing house the week after, I'll need to rethink my current job.

:eyeroll::eyeroll:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You're right. I'm just curious down the line if there's any ratification. Not like for 2022 but more so once Seattle is a few years in when covid is under control.
So the Covid is under control, revenues are increasing, the cap is rising, and the NHL allows compliance buy-outs? I'm not following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad