Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Between Chytil and one of Granlund/Haula/Soderberg, the middle-six Cs should be fine. Trouba gets paid enough to handle the defense for that pairing.

also… are you really suggesting that I'm not giving Hanifin proper credit for his offense ability in my criticism of trading ADA for him? There's a 30+ point gap between those two last season, and Hanifin had more GP! That's a hell of a scoring deficit to take just to add a more expensive left-handed D.

thats true they should be okay for this season but again youre failing to look further in the future. Chytl to me has proven nothing that he can handle playing center at the nhl level. We have NO other options behind him in prospects. Monahan or Lindholm would solve that issue for YEARS. While allowing chytl to grow at whatever position suits him more. Also protects us if we cant afford Zibs in the future when he will get 8-11m aav. What we would be doing is replacing back end offensive production with forward production while adding hanifin. Trouba is a very solid two way defender but NO1 can make up for the defensive inabilities of Deangelo.

Im not criticising anything. Im playing devils advocate.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
thats true they should be okay for this season but again youre failing to look further in the future. Chytl to me has proven nothing that he can handle playing center at the nhl level. We have NO other options behind him in prospects. Monahan or Lindholm would solve that issue for YEARS. While allowing chytl to grow at whatever position suits him more. Also protects us if we cant afford Zibs in the future when he will get 8-11m aav. What we would be doing is replacing back end offensive production with forward production while adding hanifin. Trouba is a very solid two way defender but NO1 can make up for the defensive inabilities of Deangelo.

Im not criticising anything. Im playing devils advocate.
Monahan is only under contract three seasons. Lindholm is more of a long-term fix option, but Calgary reportedly doesnt want to include him in the deal. Monahan's cap hit would jeopardize our ability to keep Zibanejad, and we would probably lose him via UFA the following season.

DeAngelo makes up for his defensive inability with his very potent offense, which Hanifin lacks. Hanifin also is not so hot defensively. Youre giving up a lot just to get a left-hander.

Last edited:

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
An all Rangers team at this years WJC wouldn't have a bad line-up, if guys who traditionally wouldn't play are in. Just saying.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
As on the full team, center is the weak link, but I like it. 3 firsr team All Tournament players and 3 second teamers. lol

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
When Vitali starts posting pictures of him in NY again, the ones he deleted from instagram after leaving Hartford unceremoniously last year, with positive captions about enjoying life and hockey
C6v.gif

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Mitchell Miller removed from North Dakota hockey program

The abuse included physical abuse, racial slurs, and tricking the student into eating candy that had been placed in a urinal.

all I can say is the kid has mental issues. no sane person would do something so disgusting. his parents should have gotten this kid the help he needs. sad situation all around.
What a clown show the Yotes are, that’s like their 3rd major snafu in like 6 months and everyone in authority is still employed somehow. Can’t wait to see what happens next and yeah this Miller guy is a pos.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Monahan is only under contract three seasons. Lindholm is more of a long-term fix option, but Calgary reportedly doesnt want to include him in the deal. Monahan's cap hit would jeopardize our ability to keep Zibanejad, and we would probably lose him via UFA the following season.

DeAngelo makes up for his defensive inability with his very potent offense, which Hanifin lacks. Hanifin also is not so hot defensively. Youre giving up a lot just to get a left-hander.

Im not sure how 3 years isnt a solid fix for your #2 center spot. We arent and should not be giving out 5-8 year contracts. While they dont want to include him in the deal that is fine, which Gorton has shown that he isnt willing to budge on his demands. Which again as i said im fine going into this season with what we have. We may lose Zibs anyway bc we do not have any idea what our team will look like in 3 years. Also if that happens and the trade is made we would still have Monahan or Elias that can take the #1 center spot.

Your not giving up alot to get a left hander. You are switching around the cap hits in order to gain a #2 center and a LD.

Im not arguing for or against the trade. Im just trying to make you at least see the other side of the coin and understand why its being discussed by Gorton.

I like Deangelo, but im tired of defensemen that cant play a lick of defense plus you cant pay a 3rd pairing defenseman over 5m aav and win a cup. We also have Lundvist who is the best defensman NOT in the NHL right now. Who needs to be here after his SHL season. Fox is the better player over deangelo and Trouba isnt going anywhere for the next few years at the moment. So something has to change to fill the much needed holes that we have at #2 center and LD.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Im not sure how 3 years isnt a solid fix for your #2 center spot. We arent and should not be giving out 5-8 year contracts.
So if we aren’t looking for a long term fix, why is signing one of Granlund/Haula/Soderberg for < 1/2 the cost for Monahan without trading any assets a problem?

You’re changing your criteria to conform to your assertion that we should trade ADA for Monahan.

The simple fact is that ADA, with or without Buch, going to Calgary for Hanifan and Monahan or Lindholm has us trading players of higher value for inferior players with higher salaries. There’s not a universe outside of HF where this makes sense.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So if we aren’t looking for a long term fix, why is signing one of Granlund/Haula/Soderberg for < 1/2 the cost for Monahan without trading any assets a problem?

You’re changing your criteria to conform to your assertion that we should trade ADA for Monahan.

The simple fact is that ADA, with or without Buch, going to Calgary for Hanifan and Monahan or Lindholm has us trading players of higher value for inferior players with higher salaries. There’s not a universe outside of HF where this makes sense.

Why don't we just do whats actually gonna happen and resign Strome and start the season with both Strome and Deangelo on the roster? The debate is moot as we all know thats the plan anyway.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Why don't we just do whats actually gonna happen and resign Strome and start the season with both Strome and Deangelo on the roster? The debate is moot as we all know thats the plan anyway.
I think the issue with that is ‘at what number?’, which is exactly what FO office is waiting to learn. They aren’t planning around a $5 million Strome, maybe not even a $4.5 million Strome. Certainly not while a similarly-qualified stand-in could be had at millions less and no assets.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Im not sure how 3 years isnt a solid fix for your #2 center spot. We arent and should not be giving out 5-8 year contracts. While they dont want to include him in the deal that is fine, which Gorton has shown that he isnt willing to budge on his demands. Which again as i said im fine going into this season with what we have. We may lose Zibs anyway bc we do not have any idea what our team will look like in 3 years. Also if that happens and the trade is made we would still have Monahan or Elias that can take the #1 center spot.

Your not giving up alot to get a left hander. You are switching around the cap hits in order to gain a #2 center and a LD.

Im not arguing for or against the trade. Im just trying to make you at least see the other side of the coin and understand why its being discussed by Gorton.

I like Deangelo, but im tired of defensemen that cant play a lick of defense plus you cant pay a 3rd pairing defenseman over 5m aav and win a cup. We also have Lundvist who is the best defensman NOT in the NHL right now. Who needs to be here after his SHL season. Fox is the better player over deangelo and Trouba isnt going anywhere for the next few years at the moment. So something has to change to fill the much needed holes that we have at #2 center and LD.
Rather play DeAngelo at LD then hanifin to be honest. He is Brady skjei all over again. Maybe a little better but they both definitely bought their brains and hockey sense at the same store while their size speed and physical acumen is fit for a first pair defender. Pass all day long injuries happen, trades come up, sometimes players want out for various reasons. I wouldn’t be too hasty with a DeAngelo decision yet considering his ability to be a great puck distributer in NY and how low the trade market is due to corona

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Mitchell Miller removed from North Dakota hockey program

The abuse included physical abuse, racial slurs, and tricking the student into eating candy that had been placed in a urinal.

all I can say is the kid has mental issues. no sane person would do something so disgusting. his parents should have gotten this kid the help he needs. sad situation all around.

I'm not sticking up for this kid but you have any clue as to what goes on in life any fraternity initiation?
It's crazy how fragile people are these days but I guess they just don't make men like they used to..

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
What a clown show the Yotes are, that’s like their 3rd major snafu in like 6 months and everyone in authority is still employed somehow. Can’t wait to see what happens next and yeah this Miller guy is a pos.
Didn’t the Coyotes turn over most of their front office staff?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
first if they played it would mean a ton of nhlers are going so the level of competition would be on another tier. this isn't going back to juniors to play regular season games....and the alternative in that situation is sitting at home waiting for nhl camp to start

it has little to do with learning something....it would be about getting into camp shape so when the season starts they hit the ground running from day 1...neither will play cause NHL camps will probably open too early so it doesn't really matter
So then they would be better served playing in Europe. It’s a moot point anyway, neither of these players are going to WJC. Bobby Mac had a tweet a few days ago saying as much about Laf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad