Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Seeing people pencil Lafreniere in at 1LW is awfully reminiscent of seeing people do the same thing with Kakko last season.

His place on the team should be at 3LW, behind Panarin and Kreider, unless one of them make the switch to RW (which probably means Buch is a goner).
It’s not that they think he will step in and dominate right out of the gate and be better then kreider right away but I do see the point in spreading the youth throughout the line up. I do think he has a better season then Kakko though. His body should be more rested. If he could get around 40 points that would be great

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It’s not that they think he will step in and dominate right out of the gate and be better then kreider right away but I do see the point in spreading the youth throughout the line up. I do think he has a better season then Kakko though. His body should be more rested. If he could get around 40 points that would be great
And 40 points from the 3rd line would be freaking incredible.

Honestly, my biggest concern is people pegging him as a 60+ point rookie, and if he fails the accomplish that he’s labeled a bust. Similar to what many people assumed with Kakko.

Laf, Hughes has Kakko are literally, just kids. Even if they go 1st or 2nd overall, that doesn’t mean they’re ready for a top 3 or 6 role in the most advanced Hockey league on the planet.

Just — tailor expectations, especially their rookie year.

Reactions: Cag29 and egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mackinnon belongs in the top tier.
Not really.

MacKinnon didn't hit 70 points the first four seasons of his career. Crosby and Malkin have never come close to missing out on 70 points in a full season. Like, really really not even close. Malkin is averaging 97 per 82 and Crosby is averaging 105 per 82. MacKinnon's career high is 99. Now, you could argue that MacKinnon was pacing for 113 this year, but in Crosby's best year he was pacing for 132 in a league that literally had half the scoring. And you know who else paced for over 110 points this year? Evgeni Malkin. You don't even hear about that because MacKinnon taking the league by storm is just another Wednesday for Malkin. There's no comparison.

MacKinnon was probably better than McDavid this year, I'll give you that, but McDavid was the second most hyped pick of all-time. And he has a Hart, two Ross trophies, and two Pearsons, to MacKinnon's Byng and Calder. And even in the season of MacKinnon's life and an underwhelming season by McDavid's standards, McDavid still outproduced him (same story as Malkin above). Again, no comparison. Not yet.

Ovechkin is the greatest goal-scorer of all-time. Moving on.

Dahlin, we'll have to wait and see. I'm a believer in him. He just had 40 points in 59 games as a 19-year-old. He's basically Hughes and Makar except younger and nobody talks about him for some reason. Probably because of Buffalo. The kind of production Dahlin just had at age 19 on defense is the kind of production MacKinnon had at age 21 at center. If anything, I would take Dahlin out before I put MacKinnon in, because MacKinnon honestly can't sniff those other four.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
He might but I doubt he is anywhere near as big or as strong because the training back then isn't close to what it is now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree about Gretzky but I also think Ovechkin probably scores a lot more goals were he playing in the 80s.

We've been over this and I know this doesn't really touch on the exact discussing at hand, but Gretzky had a 60+ point lead on the no 2 in points in 7 out of 10 seasons in the 80s. He wasn't just dominant, he was dominating the most dominant generation in hockey

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not really.

MacKinnon didn't hit 70 points the first four seasons of his career. Crosby and Malkin have never come close to missing out on 70 points in a full season. Like, really really not even close. Malkin is averaging 97 per 82 and Crosby is averaging 105 per 82. MacKinnon's career high is 99. Now, you could argue that MacKinnon was pacing for 113 this year, but in Crosby's best year he was pacing for 132 in a league that literally had half the scoring. And you know who else paced for over 110 points this year? Evgeni Malkin. You don't even hear about that because MacKinnon taking the league by storm is just another Wednesday for Malkin. There's no comparison.

MacKinnon was probably better than McDavid this year, I'll give you that, but McDavid was the second most hyped pick of all-time. And he has a Hart, two Ross trophies, and two Pearsons, to MacKinnon's Byng and Calder. And even in the season of MacKinnon's life and an underwhelming season by McDavid's standards, McDavid still outproduced him (same story as Malkin above). Again, no comparison. Not yet.

Dahlin, we'll have to wait and see. I'm a believer in him. He just had 40 points in 59 games as a 19-year-old. He's basically Hughes and Makar except younger and nobody talks about him for some reason. Probably because of Buffalo. The kind of production Dahlin just had at age 19 on defense is the kind of production MacKinnon had at age 21 at center. If anything, I would take Dahlin out before I put MacKinnon in, because MacKinnon honestly can't sniff those other four.

Mackinnon is elite there's no debating it, had one down year on a team full of turmoil, has been elite all his life. If you were building a team right now he's top 2 forwards to pick from not even close. He is the most complete forward in the NHL.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Not really.

Re ovi. 99#1.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not really.

I agree with all of this.

MacKinnon is the new "hot emerging superstar" the two two years, with the recognition reaching a fever pitch this year. And he deserves the attention, he's an elite, top player in the league.

But I feel like there's that push again to get guys into the generational tier. That's become the desired real estate over the last 5-10 years.

Like you, I just don't think MacKinnon is quite on that level. Now, if he performs like this over the next 5 years, maybe he gets some nods. But I just can't quite put him on that Crosby/McDavid or even that 1/4 noche lower Ovechkin/Malkin level.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Arizona has other avenues to dump salary so i'll be interested to see their next moves.

Stepan, Grabner and obviously OEL will generate interest, especially if they retain a bit on Step and Grabs

OEL being moved is almost a certainty at this point for me. Bet he ends up in Edmonton as rumors are suggesting

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Hjalmarsson refusing to waive his NMC in Arizona. Ouch.
This should be a good wake up call for the "Oh they'll just have player X waive his NMC so they can move him" crowd. Especially in regards to the Lightning. If Hjalmarsson doesn't want to leave the trainwreck that is Arizona why are guys like Johnson and Kilorn gonna leave Tampa?

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Seeing people pencil Lafreniere in at 1LW is awfully reminiscent of seeing people do the same thing with Kakko last season.

His place on the team should be at 3LW, behind Panarin and Kreider, unless one of them make the switch to RW (which probably means Buch is a goner).
People thinking Laf will be like Kakko is awful. There is so much difference between them.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This should be a good wake up call for the "Oh they'll just have player X waive his NMC so they can move him" crowd. Especially in regards to the Lightning. If Hjalmarsson doesn't want to leave the trainwreck that is Arizona why are guys like Johnson and Kilorn gonna leave Tampa?

I can see it going either way. I wouldn't be surprised if there were extraneous circumstances around Hjalmarsson refusing to waive.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Hjalmarsson refusing to waive his NMC in Arizona. Ouch.
This doesn't surprise me. He has built a house here and consider this -- half of his income for this year ($2MM) has already been paid in bonus so an acquiring team would only be paying $2MM salary. That's not going to help Arizona.

Too bad because he would be the perfect partner for Trouba.

Kessel is likely the first guy out the door here and OEL may be next in line. Big changes coming. Hockey ops also getting a big shakeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->