Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why would you only allocate 700k for a backup to Igor? He’s still a rookie. You’re going to want a quality, experienced backup, if not Hank. That will cost closer to 2 million than 700k.

You should dispense with the ad hominems. Just make your point or don’t, there’s no cause for personal attacks.

@GAGLine is trying to compare apples to apples. He used minimum replacement salaries in Staal / Smith calculations so he's doing the same for goalie. What's so difficult?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tampa has to move Sergachev for the same reasons we eventually have to move DeAngelo if we refuse to move him to the left side.

at the end of the day Sergachev is averaging 17 mins 2 years in a row. Why? Hedman/Mcdonagh are their top 2 LD. Just like Trouba/Fox are our top RD. You cannot spend big money on your bottom d pairing in a flat cap. Just can’t.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How do you go from “team doesn’t trust him to back-up” to “team trusts him to start against only one NHL team” in a single post?

Then how do you go from Lundqvist being the least used goalie during the play-off to being in the net for the first two games of play-in while Shesterkin was unavailable?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Tampa has to move Sergachev for the same reasons we eventually have to move DeAngelo if we refuse to move him to the left side.

at the end of the day Sergachev is averaging 17 mins 2 years in a row. Why? Hedman/Mcdonagh are their top 2 LD. Just like Trouba/Fox are our top RD. You cannot spend big money on your bottom d pairing in a flat cap. Just can’t.

Or they just expose McDonagh next summer to Seattle and incentivize them to take him off their hands.

Reactions: Leetch3

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
That makes the most sense based on conference layout and the owner having a desire for a team if he can buy one for the right price.
This is the league's operating procedure. They want at least one viable location in each conference.

Quebec is on stand by in the east. Once Seattle was looking solid, they started up with Houston rumors, especially in reference to Calgary. I think they want to have a realistic threat when a city takes a hard line stance in negotiations.

Edit: I think I quoted the wrong post. Sorry for any confusion.

Reactions: bleedblue94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’ll tell you what’s an interesting trade idea.

Sergachev and Tampa’s 2nd for Nils Lundkvist and #22

and I’ll tell you why. It’s the same reason for both teams.

Tampa needs to clear cap space as always and can’t afford him. They’ve committed to Hedman and Mcdonagh long term for their top 2 LD spots just as we have committed to Trouba Fox as our top 2RD. Even if you trade DeAngelo. Lundkvist still is your 3rd most important right d.

this gives Tampa a legit talented and cheap top four righty D that can play on the pp and replace shittenkirk

let’s us get the top LD we need.

we still eventually will have to trade tony if we aren’t going to move him to the left. But now you’ve got a top 4 of Sergachev Trouba and Miller Fox as your foundation. While Tampa has Hedman Lundkvist Mcdonagh Cernak.

I'm glad that folks here are smart enough to not propose Sergachev for ADA : )

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this. It seems based on info on this board NYR was consdiering an offer sheet to Point. In the end they signed AP who was gold this year. With a season of 20/20 hindsight, do people have a strong feeling one way of the other on what they would prefer now? I would assume that a contract to Point that would have kept TB from matching would have had to be near (not exactly, but near) the kind of money AP got. Based on age, positional needs, 2 way play, and the loss vs non loss of assets (picks and including not drafting Laf this year), and longer term cap implications and needs based on this, do you guys have a preference with hindsight?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this. It seems based on info on this board NYR was consdiering an offer sheet to Point. In the end they signed AP who was gold this year. With a season of 20/20 hindsight, do people have a strong feeling one way of the other on what they would prefer now? I would assume that a contract to Point that would have kept TB from matching would have had to be near (not exactly, but near) the kind of money AP got. Based on age, positional needs, 2 way play, and the loss vs non loss of assets (picks and including not drafting Laf this year) do you guys have a preference with hindsight?
Panarin and Lafreniere (and more picks) or Point?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Hearing today that Lundqvist is gonna retire.
I'm not doubting you at all, just thinking out loud how it's a little weird that there isn't any rumors of his agent shopping his name around. I would have figured they would have at least gauged interest in a contributing position before he gave up.

Of course they could have been discreet or Hank only had the Rangers as the place he would play. Maybe he had a meeting with management after returning to Manhattan and suddenly his mortgages are no longer there.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm not doubting you at all, just thinking out loud how it's a little weird that there isn't any rumors of his agent shopping his name around. I would have figured they would have at least gauged interest in a contributing position before he gave up.

Of course they could have been discreet or Hank only had the Rangers as the place he would play. Maybe he had a meeting with management after returning to Manhattan and suddenly his mortgages are no longer there.

Apparently its either New York or nothing

Reactions: DutchShamrock

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I’ll tell you what’s an interesting trade idea.

Sergachev and Tampa’s 2nd for Nils Lundkvist and #22

and I’ll tell you why. It’s the same reason for both teams.

Tampa needs to clear cap space as always and can’t afford him. They’ve committed to Hedman and Mcdonagh long term for their top 2 LD spots just as we have committed to Trouba Fox as our top 2RD. Even if you trade DeAngelo. Lundkvist still is your 3rd most important right d.

this gives Tampa a legit talented and cheap top four righty D that can play on the pp and replace shittenkirk

let’s us get the top LD we need.

we still eventually will have to trade tony if we aren’t going to move him to the left. But now you’ve got a top 4 of Sergachev Trouba and Miller Fox as your foundation. While Tampa has Hedman Lundkvist Mcdonagh Cernak.
Decent idea, but I still don't think Tampa does this. They give me the impression that they have an inflated sense of value of their own players.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Does Christian Fischer interest anybody? 6-2, 215lbs, brings size, skates well, displays a scoring touch from the past that he absolutely did not have last year. I'd throw him in a bottom-six role. Shouldn't be expensive from Arizona. 3rd, 4th rounder? Something like that? Guy was awful for them last year but has displayed a solid game in past.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Staal, Girardi, Shattenkirk, Smith all carried big chunks of cap space and should have been or were on the Rangers 3rd pair.

I see it as more of a give and take, if you spend more on your RD then you just need to spend less somewhere else.

I don't really see the need for the Rangers to splurge much on their 4th line, and even their 3rd line does not need to be all that expensive. If the Rangers draft, develop and trade well there should be a steady supply of inexpensive players who can at least become bottom 6 forwards. The LD should hopefully have some entry level contracts on it for a while as well.

Contracts like Kreider's, and if they extend Strome long term will become cap issues in the future because they are likely to end up as expensive 3rd liners when the rest of the team is healthy and they will not be easily moveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad