Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part III: Day by Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nashville didn't have great center depth last year, especially with RyJo out.

Yeah and they didn't win the cup either ;)

re: the defense IMO it actually could help with the weakened center depth in terms of scoring at least as a better defense could mean less time defending more time attacking and boosting offensive chances.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Over the last four years (since the lockout) Jagr has 66 points in 81 games (67 per 82) in March/April.

He has 161 points in 239 games prior to that (55 points per 82).

So it's actually entirely wrong that he has slowed down late in the year. His late season production has been significantly better. He's been a slow starter. But narratives - can't be the case he's old so he must wear down!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Over the last four years (since the lockout) Jagr has 66 points in 81 games (67 per 82) in March/April.

So it's actually entirely wrong that he has slowed down late in the year. His late season production has been significantly better. He's been a slow starter. But narratives - can't be the case he's old so he must wear down!

Such a great player and no one wants him---what do you make of that? 31 stupid general managers?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
/facepalm don't know why I bother

but yea we got some REAL high quality GM's in the league between teams giving girardi two year deals, oshie 8 year deals for absurd money, the islanders deciding their entire 4th line needs expensive long term deals, the panthers paying a team to draft their 30 goal scorer, the leafs deciding to give an older inferior player a 3 year deal for over 6M a year etc..

absolutely IMPERATIVE to appeal to their abilities i've always believed former professional athletes with minimal schooling and many without college degrees would be the best type of guy to run operations for a multimillion dollar business

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Such a great player and no one wants him---what do you make of that? 31 stupid general managers?

I think this may be oversimplifying it.

Could be Jagr wants 2 years, could be he wants 4+ million dollars.

Jags is in uncharted territory for the modern day NHL. Recchi and Selanne lasted to 42-43, which he is now well beyond. Chelios really wasn't an NHL player any more by age 46.

Jagr is the third oldest player ever in the NHL. I suspect he'd like to pass Chelios. If not, he could easily play past 50 in the Czech league.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah pretty much

tbh I would think teams are probably worried about making him an "important" part of the team (rely on him for scoring) and then have this be the year that he falls off a cliff or something.

Everyone is trying to get younger and faster and rightly or wrongly that seems to have Jagr on the outside looking in.

e: ^^^^ yeah that too, without knowing what Jagr is asking for it's hard to say why he hasn't been signed yet.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I'm tentative to call this defense corps top 5 in the league. Staal is still around and I don't trust AV to not give him top 4 minutes.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'm tentative to call this defense corps top 5 in the league. Staal is still around and I don't trust AV to not give him top 4 minutes.

That's my hesitation as well. But I think there's going to be a noticeable improvement compared to last year, even with AV in the mix.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Has his TOI or SA% metrics differed?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
We are according to what I just heard trying pretty hard to make a deal before the Staal buyout Window Closes. Nobody wants Staals contract even with retention. Surprised? I think they bite the bullet and buyout Staal likely trading Holden for a Center (with an add) and perhaps signing Gelinas and/or Chiasson as well.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Fraudland is saying we are going to sign Chiasson?

And no. I didn't actually visit his website. I saw it on the trade rumors section :laugh:

Wouldn't be against that signing.
"The NY Rangers are looking into the possibility of signing Alex Chiasson and it would appear to make some sense..."

Juicy stuff.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Fraudland is saying we are going to sign Chiasson?

And no. I didn't actually visit his website. I saw it on the trade rumors section :laugh:

Wouldn't be against that signing.

Why not at $1.025.000 or less ? No problem with that at all. We need some reclamation signings with no risks attached anyways. That would not be a bad one

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We are according to what I just heard trying pretty hard to make a deal before the Staal buyout Window Closes. Nobody wants Staals contract even with retention. Surprised? I think they bite the bullet and buyout Staal likely trading Holden for a Center (with an add) and perhaps signing Gelinas and/or Chiasson as well.

If all that happens, I'd make a shrine to Gorton on the steps of MSG and worship there daily.

As for the deal before the buyout window closes...what is it? A trade deal? A signing deal? I imagine trade...

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah. I just went to hockeybuzz and saw that. Should have checked first but I really didn't want to give him the page view.

Still. I wouldn't be against it.
Yeah, I have a higher opinion of Eklund than most (note: that does not say I have a high opinion of Eklund), but the wording of that one just screams throwing stuff against the wall.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Trading Staal is the same like G. It's easier for a team to sign them after a buyout for less term.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Bozak for Holden. Buyout Staal.

Kreider-ZBad-Buch
Nash-Bozak-Miller
Grabner-Hayes-Vesey
Puempel-DD-Fast/Chiasson

McD-Shatty
Skjei-Smith
Bereglazov-DeAngelo
Pionk

Do it. Adjust ymthe Bottom 6 and 5-7 D as you want. Regardless, that's a Cup contender.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Bozak for Holden. Buyout Staal.

Kreider-ZBad-Buch
Nash-Bozak-Miller
Grabner-Hayes-Vesey
Puempel-DD-Fast/Chiasson

McD-Shatty
Skjei-Smith
Bereglazov-DeAngelo
Pionk

Do it. Adjust ymthe Bottom 6 and 5-7 D as you want. Regardless, that's a Cup contender.

What happened to Zuccarello?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->