Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part I: Summer Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well I mean sure but Staal isn't good. What's that have to do with anything? We gave out a couple of bad long term contracts so now we should never give any because we're deathly afraid of another playing declining during it?

No, but giving a 30 year old with a history of shoulder injuries an 8 year contract is almost guaranteed to turn bad at some point, and probably sooner rather than later.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
this thread needs to take a step back. too many people are worried about macs next contract we got plenty of time before we should worry about that. we should be talking about getting a middle six center in case one of ours can't handle the work load

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
If I'm the Rangers i try to extend him before THIS season starts. With Shattenkirk he'll like like a Norris type Dman again. Get him signed cheap before he takes off.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I would be happy with Stastny

I continue to maintain our C is acceptably good, could be better, and it will be, but for now, okay. Thus we should look for something but not act out desperation.

I continue to maintain if Nash has cache or even premium value, now is the time to ship him out while it is maxed, pref for prospects and esp picks

Now, having made that clear, in an effort to show an open mind, Nash is superior to Stastny; think the Blues have buyer's remorse about him; but in a parallel to Zib and Brass, maybe we can swap one for the other if Blues add?

Statsny would be a C who can slide to W if situation prefers.
Nash is better talent, full 2 way player, etc., pref across the board
Salary is close, term is =

Stastny + 2018 Blues 1st and 4th
for
Nash + 2018 Rangers 2nd + 3rd

something like that?

and ideally, we use Stastny for depth before dealing him as a rental at TDL. By then if not sooner, Andersson should be ready/here.

No, but giving a 30 year old with a history of shoulder injuries an 8 year contract is almost guaranteed to turn bad at some point, and probably sooner rather than later.
This ^.
It is not a matter of denying him after he gave us a long term sweetheart deal, and pushing a lowball at 6 or even less compared to 8ish.

The issue is, if he starts the new deal at 30, how many years can we gamble on? The guy might handle 6, 7 or 8, but he could go Drury at 32 or 33.

The return we would get if we needed to trade him during any extension [assuming that is not off the table by McD], would be miniscule compared to the top, top dollar haul we get now.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Rangers are good at wing unless they have to move Miller to center.

If they don't have to move Miller to C then add a depth winger.

even without adding a depth winger we'd be ok...having the luxury of grabner and fast on the 4th line is great. but worst case scenario 1 of them is on the 3rd line and we have a real 4th liner on the 4th line.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If I'm the Rangers i try to extend him before THIS season starts. With Shattenkirk he'll like like a Norris type Dman again. Get him signed cheap before he takes off.

I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed. I don't think we can extend him until next July 1st.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Ive finally finished reading this this thread and i have one conclusion and a few thoughts. This fan base NEEDS to CHILL the **** out.

1. There is a serious issue if you have to trade/buyout players if you dont trust your coach enough to play the best players period. this leads to point #......

2. The rangers have enough space to sign zibby and then some. there is no reason to buyout Staal unless it is absolutley neccessary and the cap is needed. there is no need for the dead space unless you need it. This may come next yr but wont be this yr.

3. I think management sees hayes as a 2nd line center so i think they if they add a center it will be a stop gap as mid 6 center like Bozak, jokinen would have been a good fit as well.

4. I think Holden stays on the team until after camp where they see what they have in Bear gloves, Pionk, and Deangelo. Holden gets **** on but hes a servicable 3rd pair dman when used right. Only issue is he wasnt last season (see point 1)

5. Unless this team is struggling and i mean there is no way in hellthey make the play offs Nash will end the season a ranger and might resign for a lower cap hit as a mid 6 player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I am too tired to look it up, but as far as I know, contracts can only be extended 12 months before it is due to expire

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If we're moving Miller to center, I wouldnt' mind taking Vanek on a 1 year deal for sure, would probably be a boost to the PP and he can still put up around 40 points or more, (maybe even more with all the chances we get due to our uptempo style).

Kreider-Zib-Nash
Zucc-Hayes-Buchnevich
Vesey-Miller-Vanek
Fast-Desharnias-Grabner

again no elite center (but we've never had that), but that's overall a very solid forward group.

Then maybe look to add a center around the TDL if the Rangers are in it (which they should be).

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know who would be the absolute most perfect ****ing fit for this team? Eric Staal.

Signed for 3.5.

I'll see myself out.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
this thread needs to take a step back. too many people are worried about macs next contract we got plenty of time before we should worry about that. we should be talking about getting a middle six center in case one of ours can't handle the work load

Thank you. Fix what's broken, not what works.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
There's no use discussing what the Rangers do with Mcdonagh. It wont be for another 2 years before they make that decision, the Shattenkirk signing makes that 100% clear, That is the top pair for as long as Mcdonagh is here which will at least be the next 2 years, probably more.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well they had Stepan at that time.. they had Stepan, Zibanejad, Hayes down the middle didn't they?

Would have kept Staal and traded Stepan then when his value was higher.

Staal is a better player and Stepan makes almost twice as much.

Hindsight, I guess.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Would have kept Staal and traded Stepan then when his value was higher.

Staal is a better player and Stepan makes almost twice as much.

Hindsight, I guess.

interesting, did anyone think Staal was going to sign for that little tho?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Ive finally finished reading this this thread and i have one conclusion and a few thoughts. This fan base NEEDS to CHILL the **** out.

1. There is a serious issue if you have to trade/buyout players if you dont trust your coach enough to play the best players period. this leads to point #......

2. The rangers have enough space to sign zibby and then some. there is no reason to buyout Staal unless it is absolutley neccessary and the cap is needed. there is no need for the dead space unless you need it. This may come next yr but wont be this yr.

3. I think management sees hayes as a 2nd line center so i think they if they add a center it will be a stop gap as mid 6 center like Bozak, jokinen would have been a good fit as well.

4. I think Holden stays on the team until after camp where they see what they have in Bear gloves, Pionk, and Deangelo. Holden gets **** on but hes a servicable 3rd pair dman when used right. Only issue is he wasnt last season (see point 1)

5. Unless this team is struggling and i mean there is no way in hellthey make the play offs Nash will end the season a ranger and might resign for a lower cap hit as a mid 6 player.

After the recent playoffs, can you blame anyone? Lol.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fair deal
overpayment

bad deal

Toews

cap killer
---

Someone mentioned this the other day, but if you're gonna get rid of every player who is aging, the team is never going to be that good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->