Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVIII: 3-2-1 TDL almost here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Why wouldn't he leave? Hes a year away from free agency and his next contract will be his big payday. The cats, before this year, have toiled away in mediocrity. Florida will absolutely try to extend him and they should, but if he starts next season without an extension thats very telling to me.

As for why would he come to New York specifically, well does that really need to be answered?
Will Panthers be able to afford him ? They have the Stralman and Yandle deals and of course the Bob deal . Huberdeau will also be looking for a big new deal at some point . Can they afford them both ? Maybe we should target Huberdeau as a trade piece before that time comes of him reaching UFA status since he is signed for 2-3 more seasons ...assuming he still even plays the C position ? Not sure what we need for that trade...I am assuming a center Strome/Chytil and likely a Dman Lundkvist /Jones and +2021 first rounder or 2022 .

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Will Panthers be able to afford him ? They have the Stralman and Yandle deals and of course the Bob deal . Huberdeau will also be looking for a big new deal at some point . Can they afford them both ? Maybe we should target Huberdeau as a trade piece before that time comes of him reaching UFA status since he is signed for 2-3 more seasons ...assuming he still even plays the C position ? Not sure what we need for that trade...I am assuming a center Strome/Chytil and likely a Dman Lundkvist /Jones and +2021 first rounder or 2022 .

florida will have tons of space...they have almost no one besides bob and ekblad signed past 21-22...and no one but those 2 are signed for 22-23. obviously they can ruin that with some dumb decisions until then but they are setup nicely to be able to afford the big extensions for huberdeau and barkov

Reactions: leetch99

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
They also have Spencer in the wings for goals. Or is it only the Rangers that can buy out players?

Have you looked at Florida's current roster? The ship looks like it is sailing well.

I have this strange feeling that you didnt even read what i wrote. Bobrovsky's contract is bonus laden, meaning its buyout proof. A buyout would reduce the cap# from 10m to 6-7m depending on the year. Well aware that Knight is waiting in the wings as he just signed, as well as Lundell and Denisenko over in europe. They dont have depth beyond that, and a lot of their great value contracts will be up in the next 2 years.

That does not mean that you can create a move like it is EA sports simply because want to.

and? Whats your point? If the player is available the Rangers should pursue him because he fits like a glove, simple as that.

Makes very little difference where his residence is. That is not how tax laws work.

Oh yeah? Is that right? Do tell. It must be a wild coincidence how so many hockey players with bonus laden contracts have residences in Florida and other tax haven states.

Let's play the pretend game. How are you affording him?

Rangers are projected to have $50 million in free cap space in the 2022 off season, obviously this doesnt include any extensions signed this offseason, but if Barkov is a target for the team in any way they will have 0 problem affording him. If you need a direct apples to apples, Strome and Zibanejad's contract expire next off season and together they free up 10 million. Buchnevich next contract will be somewhere around 6million per and that can be moved as well to free up space.

Do you have anything of actual substance to add to this conversation aside from your very strong feelings that Barkov won't leave florida?

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
what are the odds Barkov makes it to free agency and jumps ship from the Panthers for New York?

Depends where Laine lands. I read they are brochacho's.

If he lands with a desirable contender and there is cap and a need, you can't rule that team out on getting Barky too. The silver lining with that is, Laine is a UFA 1 season before Barky so those variables can be accounted for in any decision to chase or not chase Barky before he hit's the market. You have That summer and TDL if you want to go the trade route, or gamble he walks and you make your pitch.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have this strange feeling that you didnt even read what i wrote. Bobrovsky's contract is bonus laden, meaning its buyout proof. A buyout would reduce the cap# from 10m to 6-7m depending on the year. Well aware that Knight is waiting in the wings as he just signed, as well as Lundell and Denisenko over in europe. They dont have depth beyond that, and a lot of their great value contracts will be up in the next 2 years.
Where are they in the standings? What in your astute analysis tells you that they will not stay that way for the future? They are about to have a ton of cap room for any kind of signing.
and? Whats your point? If the player is available the Rangers should pursue him because he fits like a glove, simple as that.
My point is you need to explain how you are planning on affording him and resigning him as well.
Oh yeah? Is that right? Do tell. It must be a wild coincidence how so many hockey players with bonus laden contracts have residences in Florida and other tax haven states.
Who cares where they have residences? They still need to pay NY taxes.
/QUOTE]Rangers are projected to have $50 million in free cap space in the 2022 off season, obviously this doesnt include any extensions signed this offseason, but if Barkov is a target for the team in any way they will have 0 problem affording him. If you need a direct apples to apples, Strome and Zibanejad's contract expire next off season and together they free up 10 million. Buchnevich next contract will be somewhere around 6million per and that can be moved as well to free up space.[/QUOTE]
So there is no Strome, Buchnevich or Zibanejad. Who are your other centers? How much of the cash have you allocated for Fox an Lindgren? How much is for Kakko? How much is for Shesterkin?
Do you have anything of actual substance to add to this conversation aside from your very strong feelings that Barkov won't leave florida?
Do you have anything of actual substance to add to this conversation aside from believing that wiggling your nose will simply get anything done?

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Where are they in the standings? What in your astute analysis tells you that they will not stay that way for the future? They are about to have a ton of cap room for any kind of signing.

My point is you need to explain how you are planning on affording him and resigning him as well.

Who cares where they have residences? They still need to pay NY taxes.
/QUOTE]Rangers are projected to have $50 million in free cap space in the 2022 off season, obviously this doesnt include any extensions signed this offseason, but if Barkov is a target for the team in any way they will have 0 problem affording him. If you need a direct apples to apples, Strome and Zibanejad's contract expire next off season and together they free up 10 million. Buchnevich next contract will be somewhere around 6million per and that can be moved as well to free up space.

So there is no Strome, Buchnevich or Zibanejad. Who are your other centers? How much of the cash have you allocated for Fox an Lindgren? How much is for Kakko? How much is for Shesterkin?

Do you have anything of actual substance to add to this conversation aside from believing that wiggling your nose will simply get anything done?

Yup, you're actually insufferable. Take care bud

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Say what you want about this season so far, but this team has beat a number of phenomenal teams this year and a number of tight losses. When you factor in the covid stuff and the weirdness around Mika and temporary loss of Panarin and Shesty things could've looked a lot different. I dont know if the answer is landing another big fish but rather just letting the group grow together at this point. You look at the potential of this forward and D group and it can easily be one of the best in the league
If you go this route your looking at Zibby at 9-10 mill until he’s 35. And strome in the 6-7 range for maybe 5 years? That’s a whole lot of coin. I really don’t think it’s the best course of action. If either player takes a nose dive they become that much harder to move. I think a team like Vegas or CBJ would love to add Zib this offseason though. I like Zibby a lot not. I don’t like him at 30plus years old making the same coin as Eichel

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If you go this route your looking at Zibby at 9-10 mill until he’s 35. And strome in the 6-7 range for maybe 5 years? That’s a whole lot of coin. I really don’t think it’s the best course of action. If either player takes a nose dive they become that much harder to move. I think a team like Vegas or CBJ would love to add Zib this offseason though. I like Zibby a lot not. I don’t like him at 30plus years old making the same coin as Eichel
CBJ will need to make a move to try to keep Laine, Jones, and Werenski happy. Vegas also needs a 1 C and both are in win now mode territory. What they deal for Zibby, I don’t know for sure. But if it’s solid assets like Krebs/ Glass plus 1st for Zibby with extension ?? Something a lot those lines I think you have to take the deal

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't think we have to rush and have our 1C by this fall. Lets roll with what we have. Lets get some experience under our belt and be ready to pounce should a 1C be available.
Fully agree....allow for next season...keep an eye out for a couple of glue guys that can actually play a regular shift and make life miserable for our opponents on a regular basis like the Fishsticks have in their bottom six. Would like an Ian Laperriere clone for the bottom 6 . I know....that's a huge want....If we had a couple that had Laperriere's heart...we would be off to the races .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad