Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVIII: 3-2-1 TDL almost here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
what are the odds Barkov makes it to free agency and jumps ship from the Panthers for New York?
I'd say that there is a decent chance but less than 50% chance that he makes it to free agency, maybe around 30-40%

Idk about the going to New York part because there are just so many other variables

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
BA4F0A90-6B34-487F-B14B-B7A0E08D4BA5.png
D3685DB6-6739-4B3F-9CCD-82656149A0DA.png

Buch is a trolllll. Love it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anyways, my center solution is and always will be Barkov until he is extended or signed with another team. Then they can move on to a Point offer sheet. 5 years x 10.9m or 6 years x 9m is 2 1sts 2nd & 3rd for compensation
Sorry, but there will be no offer sheet to anyone by Gorton. And I do not see Barkov leaving Florida. Why would he?

Reactions: MetalJaws

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lundkvist is absolutely untouchable unless he's the headliner to bring in an extended Barkov, or a MacKinnon, McDavid, or Matthews kind of player. He's going to be that good, I think.
None of the players you mention are or will be available. And while Lundkvist is certainly well regarded, he is not at all what one would deem untouchable. In fact, my bet is that it is he that goes as a part of a package in any big trade.

Last edited:

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Eichel might be a thing. Like most here I'm torn. I feel like the package will be what Buffalo made public. 4 1st round assets. Something like Nils, Chytil, Robertson, Georgiev and a 1st rounder might be able to do it. Oh, and please throw in Howden. Tough question is who do you move for Eichel, Zib or Strome? Strong case for each and I'd say it would be the hardest part of acquiring Eichel. I don't see both of them taking a huge discount to stay. Only room for one and I feel it would break up the room a bit.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I say we run Zib, Chytil, Strome, make a trade for a moderate upgrade if one comes along but nothing blockbuster, let the kids on the wings develop, see what shakes out on D and maybe (realistically, probably will have to) add a veteran LD of #3/4 quality and then... when everything else is in place, we steal Ryan O’Reilly from a fading Blues team to be our Messier type of playoff leader.

Or not.

Reactions: leetch99 and Fitzy

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Bold and highly unlikely suggestion: Let Strome walk/trade rights if possible, trade for Kopitar. LA needs defense, would take futures.

Higher AAV, but expires in 23/24 so perhaps would give a bit more flexibility if Gorton goes with some bridge deals.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'm still convinced Kravstov could pull off a shift to center between the skill, vision, and awareness, as well as the 200-foot game. If that's a possibility, it opens up some doors.

I always notice Blackwell hustling on the forecheck or to get back defensively, and he has great anticipation skills. Hoping that work ethic will rub off on the rest of the roster. Much rather protect him than Rooney (who has been okay) or Howden.

I also see zero reason to trade Buch. He's on top of his game and has taken some big steps. He looks like the best, most-engaged player on his line. Big improvement from the Cherepovets days when the main issues were inconsistent effort and lack of defense. No secret I've been a longtime fan.

Lots to like at the moment, but it's also HF, so that could shift next game.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Sorry, but there will be no offer sheet to anyone by Gorton. And I do not see Barkov leaving Florida. Why would he?

Why wouldn't he leave? Hes a year away from free agency and his next contract will be his big payday. The cats, before this year, have toiled away in mediocrity. Florida will absolutely try to extend him and they should, but if he starts next season without an extension thats very telling to me.

As for why would he come to New York specifically, well does that really need to be answered?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Say what you want about this season so far, but this team has beat a number of phenomenal teams this year and a number of tight losses. When you factor in the covid stuff and the weirdness around Mika and temporary loss of Panarin and Shesty things could've looked a lot different. I dont know if the answer is landing another big fish but rather just letting the group grow together at this point. You look at the potential of this forward and D group and it can easily be one of the best in the league

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why wouldn't he leave? Hes a year away from free agency and his next contract will be his big payday. The cats, before this year, have toiled away in mediocrity. Florida will absolutely try to extend him and they should, but if he starts next season without an extension thats very telling to me.

As for why would he come to New York specifically, well does that really need to be answered?
Why wouldn't he? Let's see. Great team, with great young players that he is the Captain of. Great future ahead and NO income tax whereas NY is now the highest taxed city in the United States where everything is still largely closed.

So yeah. Why would he come here?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Eichel might be a thing. Like most here I'm torn. I feel like the package will be what Buffalo made public. 4 1st round assets. Something like Nils, Chytil, Robertson, Georgiev and a 1st rounder might be able to do it. Oh, and please throw in Howden. Tough question is who do you move for Eichel, Zib or Strome? Strong case for each and I'd say it would be the hardest part of acquiring Eichel. I don't see both of them taking a huge discount to stay. Only room for one and I feel it would break up the room a bit.

If you can get it done for Nils, Chytil, Georgiev, Howden, 21 1st, 22 2nd then pull the trigger. That is "technically" four 1st round assets and then some.

I awhile ago I was open to the idea of VK in such a deal for Eichel, but seeing his play in the NHL already I wouldn't even consider moving him.

As for who goes, I think at some point diversifying the type of players we have is going to come up, and finding a top 9 center that can consistently win faceoffs when we need them.

Reactions: MetalJaws

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Why wouldn't he? Let's see. Great team, with great young players that he is the Captain of. Great future ahead and NO income tax whereas NY is now the highest taxed city in the United States where everything is still largely closed.

So yeah. Why would he come here?

Bunch of their sweeheart deals (including Barkov's) are ending in the next 2 seasons, and they have the Bob-anchor soaking up 10 mill in cap space for the next 5. Knight, Denisenko, and Lundell are great pieces but their farm depth beyond that is bunk. As I already mentioned, Florida has been an exceedingly mediocre team prior to this season, consistently failing to live up to expectations. Maybe coach Q has done enough to right the ship, maybe not. Rangers have a gaping hole at center and a ton of incredible young pieces that would surround him, not to mention the full support of a world class organization behind them.

He'd come here because he sees greater opportunity, a better future, and the bright lights of NYC. Not to mention he'd get paid handsomely. They can structure his contract similar to bread's so that it is bonus laden and he can maintain primary residence in Florida so he skirts around the NYC income tax issue.

It would come down to where he feels gives him the best chance to win over the length of his contract, and are you really going to argue that Florida has a brighter outlook than we do over the next 7 years?

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
He'd come here because he sees greater opportunity, a better future, and the bright lights of NYC. Not to mention he'd get paid handsomely. They can structure his contract similar to bread's so that it is bonus laden and he can maintain primary residence in Florida so he skirts around the NYC income tax issue.

It would come down to where he feels gives him the best chance to win over the length of his contract, and are you really going to argue that Florida has a brighter outlook than we do over the next 7 years?

Barkov is a shy, laidback guy that keeps to himself. The bright lights of NYC would be a deterrent if anything.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Barkov is a shy, laidback guy that keeps to himself. The bright lights of NYC would be a deterrent if anything.

Thats fair. I do think the vastness of NYC also allows most Rangers players to blend in a majority of the time if they so choose. Rick Nash is a recent example

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bunch of their sweeheart deals (including Barkov's) are ending in the next 2 seasons, and they have the Bob-anchor soaking up 10 mill in cap space for the next 5. Knight, Denisenko, and Lundell are great pieces but their farm depth beyond that is bunk. As I already mentioned, Florida has been an exceedingly mediocre team prior to this season, consistently failing to live up to expectations. Maybe coach Q has done enough to right the ship, maybe not.
They also have Spencer in the wings for goals. Or is it only the Rangers that can buy out players?

Have you looked at Florida's current roster? The ship looks like it is sailing well.
Rangers have a gaping hole at center and a ton of incredible young pieces that would surround him, not to mention the full support of a world class organization behind them.
That does not mean that you can create a move like it is EA sports simply because want to.
Makes very little difference where his residence is. That is not how tax laws work.

Let's play the pretend game. How are you affording him?
The Rangers have a great looking future. And Florida, like Ottawa, will be a playoff competitor for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad