Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVIII: 3-2-1 TDL almost here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The second you have the need to continue the conversation by having the team that is doing the acquiring need to make more trades, the less realistic the deal gets.
Yes, I second that. If they do deal him they are going to want multiple players Dahlin s Cozens age for their core. They’ll get another high pick this year and have Quinn coming. If they make a smart trade they really could develop a nice young core

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I know we all fall in love with our prospects but part of rebuilding is acquiring enough assets to not only develop some of them but to also use some of them as capital in the trade market.

It's impossible for all of our prospects to develop and play for the Rangers, there's simply not enough space. The key thing is identifying the right trade targets and hanging on to the right prospects.

Part of the reason to build such a robust high end prospect system is so when a player like Eichel or another star type becomes available that we can make a move for him without totally gutting our prospect pool. I mean we're so deep that we could trade significant pieces and still have legit NHL players developing in our pipeline. It's not like a hypothetical Eichel move leaves us barren. Not even an overpay does.
Its just going to suck watching two of Schneider, Skinner and Lundkvist blossom on other teams while Trouba hangs on by his NMC/NTC for the next five seasons.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Correct but there is a salary cap and that has to be considered especially w a Fox & hopefully a Kakko and Lafreniere on the roster along with a Panarin and like it or not Trouba / Kreider.

I don't mind moving Zbad and bringing in Eichel on the surface but that isn't what the trade would be.

What the trade SHOULD be is for a stud center prospect who's not there yet to play behind Zbad (& hopefully Chytil) who then becomes the #1 as Zbad departs and the wheel turns. Someone who can grow w Lafreniere et all

THAT is what's missing here.
Teams don’t trade those players. Teams don’t trade guys like Eichel unless they want out either. Big center prospects that have been traded in the last 20 years you can probably count on one hand. I do think they should have probably made a substantial offer for PLD. I don’t even know how serious those discussions got if there were any

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Teams don’t trade those players. Teams don’t trade guys like Eichel unless they want out either. Big center prospects that have been traded in the last 20 years you can probably count on one hand. I do think they should have probably made a substantial offer for PLD. I don’t even know how serious those discussions got if there were any
Agreed but THAT is what we need. Not Eichel

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Because of the flux around our ability to comfortably keep Zibanejad long-term, a trade for Eichel can't come at the expense of Chytil. If they won't take Strome as the chief F piece, Eichel can keep on pining and whining AFAIC.
I don’t think they let it get to the point of him NMC kicking in. Once he can dictate where he wants to go buffalo knows they get 10 cents on the dollar for him. As it sits right now there’s only 3-4 teams with the assets and the cap space. If your adams you don’t want that pool getting smaller

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
I do think Eichel is going to end up in NY with the Rangers at some point. Im not even on the side of the fence that wishes this to happen. I just feel like anytime a player wants to come to a team bad enough, it ends up becoming a reality.

Panarin offered more to go elsewhere ended up here.
Drury wanted to come to the Rangers. After the devastating game 6 loss to the Sabres i got to have a few beers with the team. They were at Local on the upper deck. David Liffiton told us how ironic it is for the guy to score the game winner against the team he wants to play for next year.
St Louis could have gone anywhere. He wanted NY. They got him.
Big Ricky Nash wanted to come play for the NY Rangers. They got him.
Shattenkirk was the worst kept rumor in hockey. Media even joked about it. He came over.
Fox wanted to be a Ranger. They got him for 2 #2's.
Gilroy wanted to be a NY Ranger
Vesey wanted to be a NY Ranger

These are off the top of my head. Im sure there's more. Eichel wants to be a NY Ranger. Its going to happen.
Messier

Reactions: Lion Hound

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In fairness, 17% of NHL playoff series end in a sweep, and that's only playoff teams.

THE PUCK REPORT: NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Sweeps.

That's a one in six chance, not insanely unlikely at all.

Maybe, but the notion that any NHL team SHOULD beat another team 4 games in a row is just plain stupid.

If you could make a bet like that in Vegas, Jersey would be ridiculously favored to capture at least 1 game, but reality takes a back seat when agendas are rolling.

A. 17% chance is NOT something to bet on. Not even close.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Note in today’s 31T blog, Friedman also mentioned it during the podcast:

I’d written earlier about Detroit making everyone available except Larkin, 2020 first-rounder Lucas Raymond and 2019 first-rounder Moritz Seider (and possibly co-leading scorer Filip Hronek). Mantha is signed for three more seasons, and may be out of his prime before they’re ready. Larkin is signed for two more. He’s their captain, and it’s not insignificant to consider the fan base’s reaction. If you were another team, though, and you liked him, the Mantha deal could give you reason to ask.

Reactions: egelband

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I do think Eichel is going to end up in NY with the Rangers at some point. Im not even on the side of the fence that wishes this to happen. I just feel like anytime a player wants to come to a team bad enough, it ends up becoming a reality.

Panarin offered more to go elsewhere ended up here.
Drury wanted to come to the Rangers. After the devastating game 6 loss to the Sabres i got to have a few beers with the team. They were at Local on the upper deck. David Liffiton told us how ironic it is for the guy to score the game winner against the team he wants to play for next year.
St Louis could have gone anywhere. He wanted NY. They got him.
Big Ricky Nash wanted to come play for the NY Rangers. They got him.
Shattenkirk was the worst kept rumor in hockey. Media even joked about it. He came over.
Fox wanted to be a Ranger. They got him for 2 #2's.
Gilroy wanted to be a NY Ranger
Vesey wanted to be a NY Ranger

These are off the top of my head. Im sure there's more. Eichel wants to be a NY Ranger. Its going to happen.
Looks like all true statements. Now I’m afraid.

Reactions: CLW

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
To be completely honest, now that we’re seeing COVID Mika, he’s looking like a more than capable 1C. He was that player all of last season and much of the season before.

I’m turning against trading a house for Eichel.

I’d prefer to trade a decent apartment for an affordable cost controlled top 6 two way center like Larkin instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Larkin makes a lot of sense if they could swing it, but Yzerman’s ask would be a ton
  • Larkin has been pretty inconsistent, would be a 2C for us, will be 25 before next season starts.
  • Strome is outproducing Larkin for $1.6 million less/year.
  • Larkin's also from MI, his entire career has been in MI.
I just don't see Yzerman moving him, and I dont see us trying for him.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers were not beating an offer of Laine and Roslovic

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Eichel ain't the solution we are looking for.

I could also see the team trading for a top center next offseason and rolling with Zib not being moved in a secondary trade, but rather treating him as a self-rental and only moving him at TDL if something goes wrong. Having a great top team that goes to the playoffs has convinced players (Zib in this case) to take more team friendly contracts before. Remind me the last time Zib had the opportunity to play on a perennial contender?

Reactions: leetch99

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The solution at center is going to end up being someone no one here is talking about. I don't see Eichel coming here unless Buffalo retains at least 25% of his cap number and the Rangers give them a meager package in return. In today's flat cap and for the next couple of years, a $10 million cap hit, even if the player is playing well, is a boat anchor. Eichel is by no means untradeable, but he will be very difficult for Buffalo to move. Add his pouting and his injury this year, and that's a large undertaking for Buffalo. I also echo some concerns here that have been thrown around that the Rangers shouldn't be adding THAT kind of player to this locker room.

Either way, it's getting tougher and tougher to decide who to retain moving forward with Kravtsov showing signs of life in his first handful of games. Still, I'm leaning towards cashing in the Kravtsov chip along with Strome to bring in a good 2C. Those two plus one of Robertson/Jones/Schneider brings in a really good player. Include two of those defensemen and it can even bring in a Barkov caliber player with an extension in place, IMO.

Lundkvist is absolutely untouchable unless he's the headliner to bring in an extended Barkov, or a MacKinnon, McDavid, or Matthews kind of player. He's going to be that good, I think.

The Rangers front office should be thanking their lucky stars Panarin is playing to his contract.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Is Eichel part of the problem in Buffalo? Mike Russo had a column on potential trades a few weeks ago. There was a proposal for the Wild to get Eichel. One of the executives Russo asked what he thought of the trade said Eichel has a character/attitude problem. The executive added Eichel has had these issues since he was 16.

Eichel didn't deserve the $80,000,000 contract. The Sabres ownership gave it to him because CMD got his extension.

Buffalo was a mess before Eichel got there. Buffalo is still a mess after Eichel being there for six seasons.

The alternative is continuing to build the team.

There's no way our management isn't aware if Eichel has an attitude issue, we have his coach from college 6 years ago. If it's supposedly been an issue since hes 16, it won't magically disappear for a year in college then resurface as a pro. If the Rangers do acquire Eichel, it's because they have done their research and it isn't a thing.

Are you implying that you know more than you're letting on, RB?

Anyways, my center solution is and always will be Barkov until he is extended or signed with another team. Then they can move on to a Point offer sheet. 5 years x 10.9m or 6 years x 9m is 2 1sts 2nd & 3rd for compensation

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The solution at center is going to end up being someone no one here is talking about. I don't see Eichel coming here unless Buffalo retains at least 25% of his cap number and the Rangers give them a meager package in return.

Lundkvist is absolutely untouchable unless he's the headliner to bring in an extended Barkov, or a MacKinnon, McDavid, or Matthews kind of player. He's going to be that good, I think.

The Rangers front office should be thanking their lucky stars Panarin is playing to his contract.

Gonna go by paragraph
1) I think the alternate plan is a Zibby and Strome extension. So in a sense we aren't talking much about them. Eichel is the only other star center on the trade market.

2) I trust Edge. For him, Lundkvist is the highest value not-untouchable. His touchability in increased by Fox, Trouba, Schneider down the right side.

2B) If NYR trade for Eichel it's because he is in the Matthews MacKinnon territory to them. And yes Lundy is a good prospect but saying he'd only be dealt for a current top 5 center is silly. He has tremendous upside but we still don't know what his NHL potential is. He's as uncertain as K'Andre would be if he has stayed in the NCAA one additional season.

3) Well yeah, we are all thrilled about that, but I'd say it's karma for having to put up with Wade Redden, as well as watching Richards, Drury, and Gomez (Though we didn't have to deal with him) all age like milk after signing with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad