Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVII: Lot’s of Fools in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I still think the move is Lindholm. I like Eichel a lot but that cost scares me, both in terms of assets and cap hit. You can get Lindholm and still revisit Eichel IF Zibanejad is asking for an extension north of what Eichel’s AAV Cap hit is. But you would need to start those extension talks this summer with Zib because I think Buffalo moves Eichel then.
I actually think that the asking price for Lindholm will not be all that different than Eichel.

Reactions: bleedblue94

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Unless the team makes some moves prior to the expansion draft where it makes the protected lists more of an issue, I see no reason to expose Georgiev

Right now the player they stand to lose is someone like Blackwell, Rooney or Howden in the forward department or someone like Hajek on defense

These guys aren’t world beaters and the team won’t bat an eye if one of them is taken.

Although maybe they could expose Georgiev because they want to dump his salary for nothing. But even then it’s not like he’s making a ton

So the Grade A backups (Khubodin / Greiss) went for north of 3M this last off-season.

I'd love if Raanta came back for a 1 year injury reclamation discount (probably not). If you wish to maintain Georgiev's 2.4M or less, you are looking at Reimer, Nilsson, or Bernier. Anyone better will demand higher salary/term (maybe Halak, but should be over 2.4M w/ bonuses)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I’m pretty confident you don’t move Buchnevich after they invested all this time and he’s established himself

Strome sure

while I do not disagree with the sentiment, I just do not see the ability to keep him.

He's going to be in the 5.5 to 6.0 range

Mika is going to get 8+ maybe 9+ if he keeps up the pace he started to set last year

Fox has to get paid

Lindgren has to get paiid

Shesterkin has to get paid

eventually we hope that all three of Chytil, Kakko and LaFrenier pan out where their contracts are going to be sizeable.

We still need better 3rd and 4th line players which are going to cost.

I'm excited about the 28 million we will have available to spend this summer. 33 if you remove Strome. but we are going to have 12 players signed to make up that 53 million and between 8-11 players to sign with the remaining funds while finding players that will help make us a better team.

thats not going to be easy

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I actually think that the asking price for Lindholm will not be all that different than Eichel.
Cap hit would still be a lot less.

I still dont think the cost would be the same. He is 55-65 point center. Even with his cap hit being so affordable, I dont think he cost the same in assets as Eichel would.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cap hit would still be a lot less.

I still dont think the cost would be the same. He is 55-65 point center. Even with his cap hit being so affordable, I dont think he cost the same in assets as Eichel would.
I think that the two-way game gets him into the conversation. I think that the cost in assets would be very similar.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I would be potentially open to that, but Gauthier didn't look bad at all on the line with Lafreniere and Chytil. Plus PDG does provide at least a semblance of a physical element.
I said this last night, but the maligned 4th line (???) this year has 0.5 ppg, 0.33 ppg, and 0.30 ppg and are all +2 (before last nights game). IDK what planet people are on that expect a 4th line on a middle-bottom tier team to be better than that. They all get about 12 minutes also.

The team needs more of those types who are better at hockey than those 4th liners are than more skill forwards who need specific lines and roles to be better.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think the cap issue even if they trade Buch and Strome will be two part, the Rangers will want NHLers back for them, and those incoming players will not be that much cheaper against the cap, if at all. And the teams trading for them are not going to just absorb their whole future cap hits without needing to send some cap hit back themselves.

I think the players that you target are of the 3rd line variety for either or both Buch and Strome along with pics to continue to fuel the jet with ELC deals as Laf / Kakko / Chytil / Kravtsov all start taking on bigger roles on the team and on the salary chart.

some of our weaknesses are on the bottom 2 lines. to improve in those areas, we are going to have to pay guys. Maybe we get to keep a Fast type of player in the future.

Unless the plan is to move Kreider before the 24-25 season (cap hit of 6.5 with actual salary at 5.0)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think that the two-way game gets him into the conversation. I think that the cost in assets would be very similar.
Eh I dont know. I get where you are going with this, but I just dont see it. I mean unless we are talking a more realistic eventual price that Eichel ends up costing, not the current ask that Buffalo has out there. Then yeah its closer.

This guy needs to play 90% of the remaining games if this team wants to make some noise.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
while I do not disagree with the sentiment, I just do not see the ability to keep him.

He's going to be in the 5.5 to 6.0 range

Mika is going to get 8+ maybe 9+ if he keeps up the pace he started to set last year

Fox has to get paid

Lindgren has to get paiid

Shesterkin has to get paid

eventually we hope that all three of Chytil, Kakko and LaFrenier pan out where their contracts are going to be sizeable.

We still need better 3rd and 4th line players which are going to cost.

I'm excited about the 28 million we will have available to spend this summer. 33 if you remove Strome. but we are going to have 12 players signed to make up that 53 million and between 8-11 players to sign with the remaining funds while finding players that will help make us a better team.

thats not going to be easy

I think that's the key that can be hard to remember.

If we're successful, which everyone is hoping we are, then at some point we're going to be moving guys because of cost.

Not because they aren't good, or very good.

Not because we don't want them, or don't like them.

But because at some point the finances dictate you can't have everyone.

Somewhere along the line, the organization decided they wanted to invest in Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. For the most part, fans agreed with those decisions with the hopes that we'd be able to sell high on other players (ADA, Buch, etc.).

At some point, that crossroads is going to be upon us. Whether it's because we need to resign some of the guys you mentioned, or because we decide to cash in some chips and add a high-priced player like Eichel, good players are likely to be moved.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Eichel is a wonderful, elite top line center. But at this point, just looking at the people you have included, I think that is overpaying. Buchnevich's trade profile has risen a lot. As has Strome's.

True but one of them you are likely going to be forced to move anyway for cap considerations, and take pennies on the dollar. Ie, would a contender give you a late first for Strome at the deadline?

Meanwhile if I could “overpay,” by packaging him with Buch to get back Eichel that is better value than keeping Buch, and having that late first from dealing Strome.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Every other team is going to have cap difficulties as well with the extended flat cap.

I wouldn't be shocked, as I've mentioned before, to see a string of buyouts of veteran players. Gonna be a lot of bargain bin signings available to plug holes. Maybe the NHL goes the way of another compliance buyout.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I said this last night, but the maligned 4th line (???) this year has 0.5 ppg, 0.33 ppg, and 0.30 ppg and are all +2 (before last nights game). IDK what planet people are on that expect a 4th line on a middle-bottom tier team to be better than that. They all get about 12 minutes also.

The team needs more of those types who are better at hockey than those 4th liners are than more skill forwards who need specific lines and roles to be better.
We spend way too much time debating the 4th line, 6th D, and back ups on this forum.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
True but one of them you are likely going to be forced to move anyway for cap considerations, and take pennies on the dollar. Ie, would a contender give you a late first for Strome at the deadline?

Meanwhile if I could “overpay,” by packaging him with Buch to get back Eichel that is better value than keeping Buch, and having that late first from dealing Strome.
I would honestly try to resign both to team friendly, medium term deals and then save the chips for a really big move several years down the line

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

they are much better with +Blackwell - Lemieux

they get too much time with our 3rd pair too. It should be minimal

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think that's the key that can be hard to remember.

If we're successful, which everyone is hoping we are, then at some point we're going to be moving guys because of cost.

Not because they aren't good, or very good.

Not because we don't want them, or don't like them.

But because at some point the finances dictate you can't have everyone.

Somewhere along the line, the organization decided they wanted to invest in Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. For the most part, fans agreed with those decisions with the hopes that we'd be able to sell high on other players (ADA, Buch, etc.).

At some point, that crossroads is going to be upon us. Whether it's because we need to resign some of the guys you mentioned, or because we decide to cash in some chips and add a high-priced player like Eichel, good players are likely to be moved.
in 4 years, we hope the Cap is approaching $100M and guys like Schneider are ready to replace Trouba.

A lot does change from year to year. As long as we sign our talent to reasonable and moveable contracts, we will be fine. no more Trouba contracts, which I feel Strome has a risk of being.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If you have problems with a flat cap you just managed your cap poorly beforehand. It's not like the cap has decreased. It's flat at the highest it's ever been. Maybe giving our bad contracts with the idea of "It will look better in a few years as the cap rises" was poor planning. You can't have forseen a pandemic but you probably should have considered the situation of a cap decrease.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lafreniere Zibanejad Kravtsov
Panarin Strome Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
PDG/Rooney Barron Blackwell

:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.