Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVII: Lot’s of Fools in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Totally agree on seeing what you can get for Buch and Strome. I think you get a Hayes-like return for both. A first rounder and a top prospect/young player (hopefully a C).

Trade Smith for a mid-round pick
Trade Georgiev for a mid-round pick
I think the Rangers have not yet soured on Georgiev. They’ll give him more time. He’s still pretty young and very talented.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I doubt they trade Lundkvist before seeing what he can do in the NHL. My sense.
I can see that. But hindsight being 50/50 what if he doesn’t have a great first year? Then his value goes down and they may be locked into a rotation with him and Schneider just to get some of the value back

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I can see that. But hindsight being 50/50 what if he doesn’t have a great first year? Then his value goes down and they may be locked into a rotation with him and Schneider just to get some of the value back
I suppose they might move him if they think him coming in and losing value is possible. But I’d hope they’re more confident in him. He seems like a pretty safe bet.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I suppose they might move him if they think him coming in and losing value is possible. But I’d hope they’re more confident in him. He seems like a pretty safe bet.
Yea they are some factors leading up to it that I think may sway some opinions. Will Schneider be ready by next camp? Is there a young impact center available for trade that they like? I think lundkvist + buch or lundkvist + 1st lands is a hell of a player

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The thing about the PP is that, yes there are times when the first unit can and should change, but it is way, way more common that they maintain possession for most of the PP time. What can you do in that case? Tell them to purposely give up possession to change?

Imo the only solution would be to tweak the PP strategy to be more dynamic and risk the defense clearing more often in exchange for higher danger chances, which will also let the second unit in more.

But short of that, it sure seems like the first unit gets tons of time because they maintain possession and I’m not sure any coach anywhere would advise that they give it up on purpose.

Again, I think most of discussions missing the point that our 2nd PP unit is subpar - either in comparison to the NHL average, or significantly subpar relative to PP1.

The other thing that I’ve been harping on is that PP success measured in per 60 is a flawed stat. From the eye test - the longer possession is maintained in the offense zone - the more there’s a probability for success due to PK unit that stays becoming tired and allowing more high danger chances against to develop.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think my issue is that it isn't working.

We can bitch about certain players, but when the PK is fourth in the league, there's at least some tolerance there.

When it comes to the PowerPlay, we're chilling at 22nd in the league, with a good night from San Jose dropping us to 23rd.

So at some point you say, "Hey, if I'm going to try new things, it's probably in the area where shit ain't working."

What’s the ranking since Panarin returned which largely coincides with Zibanejad recovering from post-Covid too?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why move Nils Lundkvist again? They have no other offensive defensemen on this roster. If Fox ever were to go down this team would be up ***** creek.

Jones

Also Schneider and Robertson project to be more 2-way guys. Same with KAM, Trouba and even Lindgren has some offense to his game.

I am by no means saying to trade Lundqvist, just that there are options.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Jones

Also Schneider and Robertson project to be more 2-way guys. Same with KAM, Trouba and even Lindgren has some offense to his game.

jones is the only player with similar offensive skills to nils

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Buch and Strome have been good enough that I’m not looking to pawn them off for late firsts and a Brendan Lemieux type.

If I can get a young top 6 center prospect like Krebs or Lundell, that’s a different story.
Totally agree. Enough with kicking the can down the road to far. If we trade these guys would want a top 6 center type that has shown talent so far. If all we do is trade players for picks we will never evolve into a full team at any given time. This team needs to become a full team in the next year or 2 otherwise those in their prime will not be there if we keep pushing out.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd take a 3rd pair upgrade like a Savard from Columbus. ( He's not a 3rd pair but would help mitigate issues )

Smith was ok to start the season... he's been bad the past 2 weeks.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd take a 3rd pair upgrade like a Savard from Columbus. ( He's not a 3rd pair but would help mitigate issues )

Smith was ok to start the season... he's been bad the past 2 weeks.
Smith is terrible. Just makes one braindead decision after another.

But I dont see us adding, especially not someone like Savard.

I could see them adding someone who would be here for multiple years such as Monahan/Lindholm or a defenseman such as Hanifan. Someone in those molds.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Smith is terrible. Just makes one braindead decision after another.

But I dont see us adding, especially not someone like Savard.

I could see them adding someone who would be here for multiple years such as Monahan/Lindholm or a defenseman such as Hanifan. Someone in those molds.
It'd be just for the season. Adding long-term creates another log-jam or blocks 'near ready' prospects.

We have a lot of possible 3LHD in the system. 3RHD should be locked down for Lundkvist next season. It's his spot to lose.

Reactions: bernmeister

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
txa4WXP.png

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jones

Schneider maybe, but I see Robertson more as a pre-injury Marc Staal at the NHL level. If he's on the PP it's because we've got extremely limited options.

Also to the previous posters point, I don't know why everyone assumes Lundkvist is going to instantly be an offensive dynamo. He may have to grow into that area of the game at the NHL level.

Trouba will be the guy to take over on PP1 if Fox is ever out with an extended injury. It'll take a whole, and some real growth from the young players until that is no longer the case.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not going to lie, that shit took my arm out for at least a day. Let's hope these young strapping lads can fight it.

I wanted to rip my arm off after the first dose.
Pretty standard stuff for any vaccination isn't it though? I haven't had the chance to take the covid-vaccine yet (things are extremely slow here in Finland), but I do remember how numb my arm felt for a few days when we got like 4-5 shots of different stuff in one go at the beginning of our conscripted service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad