Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVI: Spring into action (GMJG outta hibernation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Hurricanes got Trocheck for a winger and handful of prospects literally less than a year ago.
This isn’t correct. Luostarinen and Haula are centers. Wallmark can play center or wing (probably played more center than wing at least for Carolina last year), but like Haula, he was in the deal for cap reasons. So which winger are you referring to?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Garland is awesome and I would love to have him on the Rangers. But that basically locks Kakko into a 3rd line role for the forseeable future if that happens and they keep Buch.
Garland is a hedge if they have to move Buchnevich for economic reasons.

Reactions: egelband

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Garland is a hedge if they have to move Buchnevich for economic reasons.
The contracts each receive are likely going to be relatively similar so I'm not sure how that works out. I see the rationale I just don't think there will be much difference between their next contracts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The contracts each receive are likely going to be relatively similar so I'm not sure how that works out. I see the rationale I just don't think there will be much difference between their next contracts.
Buch on 3rd contract. Garland on 2nd. I think Garland makes around what Buch makes right now; which Rangers can afford

Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
As I’ve mentioned before, the bright side to Kakko playing well without scoring much is that if he figures his offense out late, we are gonna save big bucks on his first long contract.

I still think he has 30-30-60 potential

I would hope he has more than that.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Are there any brightline rules for tampering in the expansion draft?

Could you trade Buchnevich for a defenseman at the TDL and then flip him before the season for a center?

I suppose we are putting too stringent of restrictions on a possible trade. It will probably be a package.

The best course of action is keep your cap space. There is zero reason to sign a UFA this summer until you figure out your core. Not talking about fringe, depth signings. No big deals. Keep your assets and see who is making a deal because of their own bad situation. Cap problems or shake ups.

The Carolinas and Torontos and Colorados can't keep everyone forever. Nashville and Calgary will alter their lineup. If Eichel goes to LA, they don't need 7 center prospects. Tampa has to figure out their cap at some point, right? Right?! Kadri or Gourde would actually compliment 2020 Zibanejad and veteran Chytil pretty well.

Just don't spend the cap space immediately. Don't go signing a left wing UFA or defenseman for Manhattan premiums.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
They don't need to trade him right now, but they may have to trade someone with salary eventually, and I think the argument is that you can probably get more in a deal for him now than when he is 28-29.

Personally, given how Kakko and Lafreniere have been slow starters, I wouldn't be opposed to extending Buchnevich on a pretty long deal. I think NYR will be able to trade Trouba and Kreider in 3 and a half years which will open up a lot of space. Also, there's a near zero chance that Strome doesn't depart, either by trade or UFA eventually.

In 2 years time you can potentially have 3 lines with scoring wingers. Panarin, Kreider, Laf on the left, Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravtsov on the right. That's solid balance. Combine it with the top blueliner prospects we have in the pipeline and, minus center, that's a complete roster.

Who slots in at 3C behind Zibanejad and Chytil is the interesting Q going forward, and honestly I think the appropriate answer might be a Vinny Propal-esque bargain bin veteran signing. There are going to be a lot of players bought out with the flat cap, so opportunities will arise.

In two years if NYR don't make any major trades I could see the following lineup

Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Lafreniere-?-Buchnevich
4th line

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Robertson-Lundkvist/Schneider

You've got 8 scoring forwards on that roster, so four per PP unit. Two PP defensemen (Fox, Lundkvst/Trouba) If Robertson and the RD even turn out to be halfway decent, that has a potential to be a top 5 defense in the league.

Panarin, Kreider, Trouba, Zibby, Buch are the veteran leadership.

Then, when Trouba and Kreider's NMC's end in 2024, you move them out to make space for long term extensions for the new core, who would be ready for leadership roles. Potentially Buchnevich gets moved around then as well. Reassess where Zibanejad is into his new contract.

I'm making a lot of assumptions with this roster, but you can see how the moving parts could align for a very long competitive window (3-4 years with Kreider-Trouba-Panarin, the following 6 years with the new core.)
The cap may go up by then as well. New TV deals.
90+m possibly. That will help.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Garland is awesome and I would love to have him on the Rangers. But that basically locks Kakko into a 3rd line role for the forseeable future if that happens and they keep Buch.
Kravtsov, 1st + one of our B defense prospects for Dvorak and Garland

Strome to Minn for their 1st

Kreider Zibanejad Buch
Panarin Dvorak Garland
Lafreniere Chytil Kakko

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m at a point where I’d like to see something like:

Laf - Zib - Buch
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Crouse - Bennett - Fischer/Gauthier
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier/Fischer

Acquiring Crouse/Fischer who are both disappointing this season shouldn’t truly be costly. At worse they replace Lemieux/Gauthier on the 4th line wings, but I’m fairly sure they can fill third line roles. Bennett at 3C makes sense. He can slot up but is a great energy player. Barron replaces Howden. Berard replaces Lemieux or knocks Crouse down to 4LW.

A 3rd line of Crouse/Bennett/Fischer probably doesn’t cost a whole lot but adds a big dimension we’re lacking and which would be helpful in the East.

Kravstov/Strome/D prospects can be used to add a mid-late 20s established top 4 Dman.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m at a point where I’d like to see something like:

Laf - Zib - Buch
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Crouse - Bennett - Fischer/Gauthier
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier/Fischer

Acquiring Crouse/Fischer who are both disappointing this season shouldn’t truly be costly. At worse they replace Lemieux/Gauthier on the 4th line wings, but I’m fairly sure they can fill third line roles. Bennett at 3C makes sense. He can slot up but is a great energy player. Barron replaces Howden. Berard replaces Lemieux or knocks Crouse down to 4LW.

A 3rd line of Crouse/Bennett/Fischer probably doesn’t cost a whole lot but adds a big dimension we’re lacking and which would be helpful in the East.

Kravstov/Strome/D prospects can be used to add a mid-late 20s established top 4 Dman.

Do you want the Rangers to be a worse team? I don't understand. Crouse and Bennett should be nowhere near a 3rd line on a good team.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Team doesn’t need any more wingers

Gorton should be calling every playoff team who needs more center depth and seeing what they’d offer for 2 playoff runs of Strome. Colorado, Vegas and Minnesota come to mind

Reactions: NYRKING30 and RGY

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Do you want the Rangers to be a worse team? I don't understand. Crouse and Bennett should be nowhere near a 3rd line on a good team.

I just feel that’s a bit narrow of a view. I certainly don’t have illusions about either becoming top six or big impact players, but they both have potential to benefit from a change of scenery and both undoubtedly make us a tougher team to play against. Like I said, you can end up with them on the 4th line if Barron/Berard/Cullye/Vierling pan out but they bring a heaviness and aggressiveness that in this division would help. I also completely forgot Kreider in my lines, so you could potentially forget Crouse/Fischer. My point was that the team has a lot of vanilla. Guys who are playing with some “good intentions”, contributing a decent amount for their expectations, but really we’re not a tough team to play against but we have a solid top six once the kids develop. Having a bottom six with an identity that’s tough to play against with guys who may be underachievers but have enough skill/undelivered potential to slot up in injury cases isn’t bad. We’ve got Barron, Cullye, Vierling, Berard coming in a few years as well (they won’t all make it, but a couple should). I just feel we’d benefit from having a hard grinding, relentless forechecking, somewhat f*** you and your game plan bottom six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->