Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIV: 2021: “The Fun has begun” or “Over & done”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think that if you get Larkin here and he fits, you're probably looking at production around 75-80 points playing with the talent we have. I can't envision him taking south of $8.5m if he can put up two seasons at that level with us. He could hold out to free agency and have 3 teams offering him that at 1 minute past the hour.

Personally I’m not buying that he hits that production here. But I hear your point, if he does hit that production level for 1.5 years or whatever then that number it is not an unreasonable number in that context.

If they do trade for him this summer let’s say, they wouldn’t be able to extend him until the final year of his contract. So they would have to wait a minimum of a full season to see what they have before extending him which is a good thing.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Out of curiosity, why do people think RNH is going to sign at or around the 6m mark? He's making that this season already

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Personally I’m not buying that he hits that production here. But I hear your point, if he does hit that production level for 1.5 years or whatever then that number it is not an unreasonable number in that context.

If they do trade for him this summer let’s say, they wouldn’t be able to extend him until the final year of his contract. So they would have to wait a minimum of a full season to see what they have before extending him which is a good thing.

Yeah if you don't think he can hit those numbers then I certainly agree he'd come in at a lower cost. That being said, is he worth latching onto if he's not meeting the expectations we had for him coming in?

I do of like the contractual timeline for those reasons. If you add a Larkin or Monahan you get some control and time to evaluate but you also have an out in the form of free agency if it's just not a fit and you need to cut and run. Better still, if you can get a top-end center prospect for Zibanejad, then maybe that guy or Chytil provide you with an alternative path by the time you need to make the call on the guy heading to free agency.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It would be nice for Zib to figure it out soon, with Kravtsov coming it would be like aquiring a player at the deadline. We need atleast one of these boston games, and if Zib could get going it would go a long way to us getting back into the playoff picture.

Reactions: leetch99

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
It would be nice for Zib to figure it out soon, with Kravtsov coming it would be like aquiring a player at the deadline. We need atleast one of these boston games, and if Zib could get going it would go a long way to us getting back into the playoff picture.
The playoff picture left our view when they just gave the equivalent of 8 points to the team they are chasing to make it there.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The playoff picture left our view when they just gave the equivalent of 8 points to the team they are chasing to make it there.

Still time but we have to get hot. We have been playing without Panarin and basically without Zib since a while, if both can be productive id say we can with the way the division is this year.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
The best years of this franchise recently were the years that torts work ethic and defensive commitment was still imbedded in the players while AV introduced the offensive side. Slowly the ethic and commitment faded away and then we were just left with the AV mess. People dimiss the positive lasting affects of Torts here for a few years after he left.
Agreed. And, unless something really drastic happens this year, I can see the organization giving Quinn 1 more season to take this team another step forward offensively. If he can't, then I think a change comes after next season (or during, if the results aren't there). Just basing my guess off historical precedence...some coaches can evolve with their teams, some don't and the org gets someone who does (i.e. Torts into AV).

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I know the fanbase is contested on Lundkvist's upside, but damn if I can't see him going full Erik Karlsson after being traded. Not in terms of style, but in terms of performance.

Nils is heavily in competition for best defenseman not currently in the NHL if you believe a lot of the articles being written (Caveat, probably many of which by people not watching the games)
I think Panarin has no competition in his pursuit of best player not in the NHL !!! :popcorn:
Boy would I be hesitant to move him at this point. These draft picks are all lottery tickets, and he looks like a hit and at a valuable position.

I’d much rather move a guy like kravtsov (who I also like) or a future first rounder.
I agree especially now that we see that Fox simply cannot replace Tony on the PP . I would like to see what Nils can do first before we move him out . I think we have time to look at that sample next year before desperate moves are taken in trades .

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree especially now that we see that Fox simply cannot replace Tony on the PP . I would like to see what Nils can do first before we move him out . I think we have time to look at that sample next year before desperate moves are taken in trades .

Wait a sec. Why can't Fox replace Tony on the PP?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Well I am just going to post the same thing I always do, I'd love to see the Rangers make moves that could support their cup aspiration being built around the primes of Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, Chytil more so than see them try to do so around the remaining prime of those currently 7-10 years older. I understand the Rangers would like to bridge that gap, yet I see that as almost impossible without subtracting from the same youth I think they should be keenly focused on building around.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I can't help but feel that if Zibanejad is closer to his 2018-2019 form (forget last year), this is a playoff team and a team with the emerging talent to close the gap faster than people think.

So if we swap Zibanejad with someone performing closer to that 2018-19 level, I think we're in a very different place.

This has been a really weird year, but I don't think we're as far off as you might believe. We still have Laf, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Barron, Chytil, Shesterkin, Fox, Lindgren, Robertson, and Schneider who combined have all of 500 games of NHL experiences between the 12 of them. That's A LOT of talent.

Let's even say the Rangers are three years away from challenging those teams. Someone like Larkin would still be younger than Zibanejad is today. The guy is younger than our rookie starting goalie.
If your 3 year scenario does plays out....we would likely be wiser to wait and sign him as a UFA rather than give our assets away ...sounds like a better plan IMO . Our assets saved have [and any possible return from a trade for them in the future ...in this case as suggested 3 years] to be equal or greater then what the cost of signing Larkin as a UFA would be .

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It is clearly Fox's fault that Panarin is out and Zibanejad can't shoot a one-timer anymore.

Yeah, admittedly I think DeAngelo's mobility forced the other guys on the ice to move more, which is a good thing, but I have a hard time pinning the lack of PP success this year on Fox. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think his PP metrics this year are pretty damn close to Tony's last year. At least in terms of opportunities created.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Still time but we have to get hot. We have been playing without Panarin and basically without Zib since a while, if both can be productive id say we can with the way the division is this year.
They’d have to go on an incredible run which, with everything this team has shown so far this year even when 100% healthy, is just not gonna happen. They lose tonight and they’ll have to make up at least 4 games worth of regulation wins. Ain’t happening.

Reactions: RGY

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah, admittedly I think DeAngelo's mobility forced the other guys on the ice to move more, which is a good thing, but I have a hard time pinning the lack of PP success this year on Fox. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think his PP metrics this year are pretty damn close to Tony's last year. At least in terms of opportunities created.
It's obviously very subject to sample size but you might even be being a little kind to TDA:

Fox 2021
PP xGF/60 - 8.64
PP points/60 - 6.88
individual xGF created/60 - 0.72

TDA 2020
PP xGF/60 - 7.54
PP points/60 - 5.86
individual xGF created/60 - 0.67

Rangers PP is definitely worse this year, in pure metrics it's middle of the pack (where last year it was comfortably top 10 across the board) but Zibanejad and Kreider's horrible starts probably had a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's obviously very subject to sample size but you might even be being a little kind to TDA:

Fox 2021
PP xGF/60 - 8.64
PP points/60 - 6.88
individual xGF created/60 - 0.72

TDA 2020
PP xGF/60 - 7.54
PP points/60 - 5.86
individual xGF created/60 - 0.67

Rangers PP is definitely worse this year, in pure metrics it's middle of the pack (where last year it was comfortably top 10 across the board) but Zibanejad and Kreider's horrible starts probably had a lot to do with it.

I thought the numbers might've been leaning towards Fox but I wasn't totally confident in that. Yes, it's definitely a smaller sample but I have a hard time seeing a major regression either. Fox was known for his prowess on the powerplay at every level he's played at, so this isn't exactly a surprise.

Zibanejad not being able to score has been hugely detrimental to that top unit's effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->