Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And truthfully, that’s okay. I would prefer our young talent get a taste of a playoff race. But if I had to pick a consolation prize? Yeah give me a lottery win and Beniers.

I was pretty much all about the tank the last few years but I think that is pointless to hope for at this stage... too much young talent that if we are losing probably isn’t looking good itself... would rather see Kakko and Lafreniere dominating.

That being said once again I’d be very aggressive chasing “Buch for 8th to take Zegras” type deals still. Especially if Kravtsov comes over and looks good.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Howden will. Why Lemieux? There isn't one player on this team willing to stick up for their teammates. Barron is probably better than Howden right now.

Well, unless they are planning to start playing Barron at center, that swap probably isn’t on the horizon.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This is not the year to win a draft lottery imo,

Hopefully the NHL waits a year and a bonafide #1 emerges.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It'd be some sort of wierd cosmic fluke to win a lottery 3 years in a row.

It was already improbable enough to get Kakko.

I'm on team playoff experience. Go Rangers. Plus I miss playoff games.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Beniers over Johnson?

For me, yes.

Johnson is more naturally skilled. He’s more exciting when he is on, and he has the potential to be a very good offensive center in the NHL.

But Beniers plays with an intelligence and anticipation that I think has a shot to make him a very successful pro. He’s involved in all aspects of the game, even if it doesn’t show up on the score sheet.

You know how we talk about appreciating Adam Fox beyond the box score? That’s the type of forward Beniers could be.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Stephenson seems a bit underwhelming as VGK top line center, and Vegas looks like a place that Mika would waive for. I guess Mika's poor form would turn VKG off this deal, but would Mika + Gauthier for Glass + Reilly Smith as a base kind of work?
Salary would be very close and both Smith and Mikas cxontracts are done after next season. VKG would upgrade their top line, and seems like RW is a position of strenght for them with Tuch on the 3. line, while NYR gets the young C they covet.

VGK's top 9 would be something like:
Pacioretty - Zinbadejad - Stone
JAM - Karsson - Tuch
Kolesar - Stephensson - Gauthier
Wich seems more balanced to me (that have'nt seen a VGK game at all this season).

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Derek Dorsett was a much better player imo.

I don’t find Lemieux to be good at much. Even his one standout skill in being a pest is not effective enough anymore to warrant an everyday spot in the lineup.
When you only have one guy like that it is extremely hard to pay that game without being easily under/or in the eye of the other team and the officials...but if you have 3 guys playing that kind of rugged style you will see them getting away with much more and of course the other team looking out for them thus taking them a bit off of their own game . Add in a hard nosed C and a robust left side winger[not all on one line either] that will keep you honest and that will add more to Lemieux's game in a heartbeat.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So with an eye to expansion I’d keep Zib,Strome,Panarin,Buch,Chytil,Kreider,Lemieux

so do they package a Howden or Gauthier for a 3rd D to keep ?

DiGiuseppe and Smith should have some value as UFAs.

maybe a Dermott from TO? They could lose him in expansion

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
And we certainly could. It just might not be at left wing. It could be on defense, or at right wing, or even at center.

I personally think we need that level of physicality at all of the positions mentioned.

Its never a good idea to try to have one guy carry that role.

The team as a whole needs to be more difficult to play against

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Devils advocate:
...and I'm not overly familiar with this year's draft class.

Is the #1LD a remarkably better player at his position than the #1C?

Would we be a better team in 4 years with the stud LD prospect and trading from our LD depth for a center?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Devils advocate:

Would we be a better team in 4 years with the stud LD prospect and trading from our LD depth for a center?
This class is similar to 2017 where a guy taken at 5-10 could be better than the guy who goes #1

Tough to say who’s better between Power and the number 1 center at this point

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
For me, yes.

Johnson is more naturally skilled. He’s more exciting when he is on, and he has the potential to be a very good offensive center in the NHL.

But Beniers plays with an intelligence and anticipation that I think has a shot to make him a very successful pro. He’s involved in all aspects of the game, even if it doesn’t show up on the score sheet.

You know how we talk about appreciating Adam Fox beyond the box score? That’s the type of forward Beniers could be.

This times 1000. People play down Beniers' offensive potential because he isn't as flashy as guys like Johnson, but IMO he can be every bit as good offensively, while also being great in all other facets of the game. He's probably the most complete player in this draft. He's over a PPG in college in his draft year and people are worried about his offense? He was a standout for the US at the WJC. They don't win gold without him.

People had the same reservations about Holloway last year and he's absolutely tearing it up this year. Same with Lundell in Liiga.

Beniers is exactly the type of player we need. He's a perfect fit. Even if Johnson has the better offensive ceiling, I'll take the guy who may top out as a great 2C, who is great defensively, has a high hockey IQ and a non-stop motor. Beniers is the kind of player you win cups with.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Devils advocate:

Based on the projections and scouting reports, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on who will go #1. So the gap between the top LHD prospects and C prospects probably isn't that big. LHD is less of a need with the emergence of Miller and the depth we have with Hajek, Robertson, Reunanen and Jones.

Ultimately, it depends where we are picking. If we are in the top 10, I'd move heaven and earth to get Beniers. If we are outside the top 10 and one of the top LHD drops, I'd probably go that route. Trading from depth can be tricky though, as we need to find a team that needs LHD and has an abundance of centers. LA is the only team that comes to mind that might fit the bill, but maybe there are others.

If we are outside the top 10 and none of the top LHD drop, maybe we take a guy like Sillinger or LHeureux.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This times 1000. People play down Beniers' offensive potential because he isn't as flashy as guys like Johnson, but IMO he can be every bit as good offensively, while also being great in all other facets of the game. He's probably the most complete player in this draft. He's over a PPG in college in his draft year and people are worried about his offense? He was a standout for the US at the WJC. They don't win gold without him.

People had the same reservations about Holloway last year and he's absolutely tearing it up this year. Same with Lundell in Liiga.

Beniers is exactly the type of player we need. He's a perfect fit. Even if Johnson has the better offensive ceiling, I'll take the guy who may top out as a great 2C, who is great defensively, has a high hockey IQ and a non-stop motor. Beniers is the kind of player you win cups with.

The knock on Beniers, if we want to call it that, is he might not have the high-end skills to be a first line NHL center. So you have some who see him as more of a 1B or an elite second line type.

But if we’re looking at a fit for the Rangers, it really doesn’t matter based on how this roster is shaping up.

Reactions: Trxjw and Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad