Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So conjecture of "had he played here, he would have scored a goal". Ok. And am certain you could have also scored 4 had you been in the line up instead of Kreider.
Yes. A slam dunk open net. I am extremely confident a lefty like, Laf would have scored.. But Quinny and Oliver know best. Keeping 4RHS on the PP is a must. Putting a journey-man as the bumper made more sense than Lafreniere.

You sound bitter. Dont be.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I feel like we are still suffering from what Dave Maloney mentioned. We had the potential Rocket-Hart line last year rolling and we played ourselves thinking we're a finesse team when we're really a meat and potatoes grind and jam team still with our depth. We had your Lemmy, Howden, Goat, Fil, Kaapo, middle 6 trying to razzle dazzle in Quinn's system either because Quinn has installed the wrong system or the young players aren't buying into a blue collar offensive effort night in and night out. Enter Rooney, Blackwell, and Phil Di Giuseppi who know their meal ticket is grind jam and forecheck to create offense and these guys are the ones thriving under Quinn's system. Are the youngsters not buying into what Quinn is selling that has made stars out of Colin Blackwell and Kevin Rooney? Or is Quinn not using the right approach and recipe for the ingredients he's got?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I feel like we are still suffering from what Dave Maloney mentioned. We had the potential Rocket-Hart line last year rolling and we played ourselves thinking we're a finesse team when we're really a meat and potatoes grind and jam team still with our depth. We had your Lemmy, Howden, Goat, Fil, Kaapo, middle 6 trying to razzle dazzle in Quinn's system either because Quinn has installed the wrong system or the young players aren't buying into a blue collar offensive effort night in and night out. Enter Rooney, Blackwell, and Phil Di Giuseppi who know their meal ticket is grind jam and forecheck to create offense and these guys are the ones thriving under Quinn's system. Are the youngsters not buying into what Quinn is selling that has made stars out of Colin Blackwell and Kevin Rooney? Or is Quinn not using the right approach and recipe for the ingredients he's got?
I'm curious as to what team, other than ours, dumps, chips and chases the puck like we do.

Is Torts still running a similar system?

Reactions: Ola

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'm curious as to what team, other than ours, dumps, chips and chases the puck like we do.

I'm not sure but to be honest, I don't even think of this team as a dump and chase and chip and chase team because of how bad we are at it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Ola

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm not sure but to be honest, I don't even think of this team as a dump and chase and chip and chase team because of how bad we are at it.
I'm pretty sure the numbers bare this out too, just to reinforce your point. From what I have seen the Rangers are one of the worst teams in the NHL at puck retrievals. Which certainly is the perception I get as well just from watching

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Tob

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
The flames are losing 5-1 to Ottawa. I think this could be the one that tips the cow over. Any chances we see some trades with them soon? I just don’t get why they’re consistently trash every year and they never make any moves.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You don’t not sign quality veteran stop gaps because you have kids who may be ready in a year or two. There were ample NHL caliber vets signing for very cheap this summer. We picked up tweeners. Signing good veteran depth on 1-2 year stop gap deals insulates the kids against being a part of a woeful, loser team and developing a losing locker room culture, even if those guys aren’t in the long term plans and the kids who will replace them are nearly ready to step in.
They're hardly a woeful loser team. They're using space to determine who useful and who's not. For a change they're not serving as a retirement home for former stars. They're the youngest team for a reason. They'll get their players back and win a few games. For now they can take a few tough games.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Every team does it to a degree. Every single one. The difference is in the transition game. Teams that are better in transition can catch the defense off-guard more often, allowing them to enter the zone with possession more often. You know what leads to a good transition game? Good defense. Stopping teams in the neutral zone and at the blue line. If you have to go 200 feet every time, you're going to have to dump and chase a lot.

There isn't a coach in the league who would be okay with a player continuously trying to carry the puck in against a defense that is standing up at their blue line. That's how turnovers happen, and how the other teams gets their transition game going against you, and gets easy zone entries as a result.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Quinn is a knob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I say these in jest as password guesses.

@Machinehead is either "Donny" or recently changed to "Sprinkles"

@Edge "F these idiots"

@RangerBoy see Edge's

@alltherussianbots "PutinRules"

@Uninstaaled "JackFingJohnsonreplacedStaalkillme"

@Tob "burneraccountsrule"
erxrQez.gif

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I’m actually the third in a long line of fitzy’s - the account password gets handed down from coolest dude ever to next coolest dude ever every five years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I’m actually the third in a long line of fitzy’s - the account password gets handed down from coolest dude ever to next coolest dude ever every five years.

5 years is a long time, Is there a buyout option? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad