Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BBKers, Feb 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raspewtin solamente soy feliz Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Compensation Analyst
    i'm usually not this person but this board will hate Julien just as much as Quinn very quickly lol

you think Quinn is bad with giving grinders ice time........Julien is among the worst in the league with that

though I think Julien is a significantly better 5 v 5 coach than Quinn. I just don't think this board will value that much if Laf is getting 10 mins a game.

2. duhmetreE HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    ADA excelled when the play 'broke down'. He was great at getting pucks through as well.

The problem has been that the right side of the ice is barely if ever used. It is not a threat. It's like a baseball team putting a shift on a hitter. They just all cheat towards Panarin and Zibs. We need a good LHS on the right wall. IMO Miller is that shot. I honestly don't know if Laf can shoot off the one-time like that, normally saw him QBing the PP. I know Buch has a decent shot but he rarely uses it and is very bad at finishing.

3. Glen Sathers Cigar Sather 4 Ever

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Price once again having an abysmal season but players and media still talk about him as the best goalie in the league - a title he only actually deserved one time in his whole career.

He hasn't been good since the 2016-17 season.

KirkAlbuquerque likes this.
  4. Mikachu93 Formerly MacTruck

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm definitely not a David Quinn fan, but he shouldn't be canned unless you are confident you can replace him with someone significantly better.

I'm talking Gallant, Cooper, Laviolette, etc.

Julien is not on that tier. He's a great 5v5 coach but the same pains we have with Quinn will be on display with Julien. He won't get more out of our top players and we will still see young guys playing 10-13 minutes a night instead of 15-18.

Tob likes this.
  5. East Coast Bias Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    no wonder no one trades with this guy. He’s the asshole in every fantasy league who teases but never trades

6. duhmetreE HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Fixed.

Rule #4125 of modern NHL. NEVER pay your goalie that much (over 10-12% of cap), well into their mid-late 30's. It's not going to end well for the team.

Same goes for Shesty. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra and having him for 6-7 years. Then have a replacement ready to go when he's a UFA.

7. I Eat Crow Fear The Mullet

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Another vote for a pass on Julien.

He's the perfect Dead Puck Era coach that also had success in the early 2010's because the game played heavier and bigger during that time as opposed to today. In today's game you need good forecheckers, skaters, and skill on all 4 lines to win. It's why a guy that can forecheck well and has a little skill, but not enough to be consistently in the top 6 like Colin Blackwell has a job in today's NHL. Blackwell wouldn't have a job 10 years ago.

Tob likes this.
  8. KreiderBomb Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tony was ass since Panarin and Zibanejad stopped scoring before the bubble. He was totally riding their coat tails all last year, our pp problem is that Zibanejad can't hit the net, has 0 to do with the guy at the top of the pp, ill go one step further and say that Fox is way better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and less likely to cough up an odd man rush on the pp.

9. duhmetreE HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Before the bubble? Everyone was ass in the bubble and to start this year. If you're claiming ADA was not good and only benefited by Panarin/Zibs, you're attempting to revise last season.

ADA was a dynamic game changer and played a huge part of the offense last season.

10. Tob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm not crediting David Quinn with Adam Fox the second coming of Brian Leetch for not having a sophomore slump. Miller has looked great since day 1 as did Fox. They came to us as complete players. It's great that they're doing well and good on Quinn for giving them tons of minutes but I am looking for improvements especially with the forwards. We're set on defense. It also took Martin to get this defense in order after 4 terrible years with Ruff. Quinn admitted to the fact that it was a fire drill his first 2 years prior to Martin. I'll give him partial credit for the progress of Lindgren, Fox, Miller, etc.

Going onto his 3rd year, none of our forwards has broken out. Chytil and Kakko look great and I'm excited but at the end of the day, talent this good and in a rebuild, we need 40+ point production at some point. So far none of our forwards have cracked 30 points in a full 82 game season. Flashes of talent is not enough. These two players are supposed to be our future. Ideally I'd like one of our Gauthier, Lemieux, Howden, Andersson 2nd tier forwards to have cemented a role as a middle 6 player putting up 30+ points but so far, nothing. In fact Lemmy and Howden in their 3rd year are on pace to finish the same or worse than both of their prior years. Static. zero growth. Their on ice attributes are identical as well. Kakko was frustrated at the end of last year and stopped trying to be creative under Quinn's "don't do this, don't do that" coaching. Andersson and Kravstov were rubbed the wrong way in their short stint under Quinn. Let's face it, Chytil improving is like 50% the fact that he's grown into a man's body. Quinn gets only partial credit for that. If he puts up say 60 point pace by the end of the season, I'll give Quinn full credit but flashes of talent isn't enough.

I'm not looking for the hockey version of Disney's on ice spectacle: Genghis Khan, the Greatest Conquest of Mankind's History on skates but so far out of the forwards that have had a chance to take a step in our rebuild under Quinn: Lemieux, Howden, Gauthier, Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, Andersson, Kravstov, so far we've peaked with "wow, our 2nd overall pick has legs and he's really using 'em!"

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    ArPanet, TheDirtyH, ponzu4u and 4 others like this.
  11. Avery16 Shake my hand, fatso

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Everyone was ass in the play-in round. Everyone.

leetch99 likes this.
  12. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Absolutely. I agree. They developed themselves.

13. pld459666 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Do we really think the growth plan for the most recent 1OA is solely left for the coach to decide?

I'm not buying that myself

14. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Were it that easy, wouldn't every single center in history be great on draws?

15. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    So either Lafreniere sucks or Quinn is an idiot for not playing him there? Makes perfect, logical sense.

Pawnee Rangers likes this.
  16. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Nope. Only this one as Quinn is the Rasputin who secretly runs the franchise and hates all prospects outside of USA college and is clearly trying to ruin Lafreniere.

The ultimate irony was that if Lafreniere had 10 points right now, the same people proclaiming him to be ruined would be singing the praises of all of the development he received in the Q.

17. Tob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Do you have another way of communicating aside from sarcastic snarky responses?

ArPanet, KirkAlbuquerque, Ail and 2 others like this.
  18. RGY Kreid or Die

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    College Graduate
    Whats amazing is the hypocrisy in that poster’s comments regarding ADA. That same poster has defended Ryan Strome endlessly, who has without a doubt road the coattails of Panarin’s success the past year +, but I guess that argument applies to certain players. And I would take it a step further in that even with Panarin being over a PPG player this year, Strome has still managed to be a black hole. There is a difference in true offensive talent from one player to the next. DeAngelo had the offensive ability with his skating ability, passing, and instincts on that side of the puck. He absolutely was lacking defensively, but when it comes to the PP there was a clear success there. And as much as some want to blatantly ignore it because of their personal hate for the guy, the PP has been significantly worse without DeAngelo than with him.

19. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Wonder who he will bite first

20. Ranger Spice New York City Shall Always Reign Supreme

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Frankly, I just want the Rangers to sign or trade for a former Kitchener player, so we don't have to photoshop the jersey.

21. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Sure, to well thought out thoughts. Not to ones that presume that prospects simply waking up and developing themselves is completely rational

22. bl02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yes. If Quinn is correct than Lafreniere isn’t as good as we thought. If he is incorrect (which I hope and think is true) than he is an idiot not to give the kid a chance. Not sure what is so hard to understand. Even if he isn’t good enough right now give the kid a chance. What are we trying to accomplish here

KirkAlbuquerque likes this.
  23. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    There is no chance of it being in the middle, huh?

It's both you know. Lafreniere completely sucks and the coach is an utter idiot for not wanting to do what you want him to.

24. SingnBluesOnBroadway Retired

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Awards:
    Yet we kill Jeff Gorton for drating/trading all these players who have already been developed.

25. DutchShamrock Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Was he coaching the Bruins during the Seguin years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.