Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Aside from the twilight zone shit(easy for me to say lol), but didn't we just win 2 in a row playing sound defensive hockey and the rook scored?

Every thread on hfnyr now:
giphy.gif

200.gif

zGHQb4O.gif

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It seems like Quinn coaches everyone the same. Whether you are Lafreniere or Lemieux. No mistakes, follow the plan, play safe. It's as if he is developing a 3rd line grinder. Which isn't a terrible thing to instill if you can guide a player towards a Hossa career instead of a Kessel career. Both would be more than successful but we would all prefer defensive contributions to go with the points.

But this just feels off. I would think you try to build confidence while learning from your mistakes. Let them do what made them successful. They aren't dumb, they will figure out that some junior BS doesn't work here.

Not saying I know better, but I do know that, at least for me, overthinking and no confidence is not a good recipe for improving.
I’m not even calling to fire Quinn. But some of the things he does just makes you shake your head. If he was so into the fundamentals you think he could practice the PP? Or teach centers to win a draw? I’m not looking at the statistics but we have to be near last in both categories. Granted we are a young team but come the hell on. I bet you if we fix one it will help the other. Guess which one? Lol there’s really no excuse for not giving LaF a lil time on the PP1. Maybe he would surprise all of us? No offense to Blackwell whose been one of our positives this year for sure.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Insider Trading: Teams starting to look at a trio of Detroit Red Wings as trade targets - TSN.ca
LeBrun: In the meantime, there’s been a lot of white noise around the Calgary Flames because of their recent slump and whether or not general manager Brad Treliving was up to something. Of course, we know about the Sam Bennett situation, but certainly from talking to people around the league it seems actually pretty quiet on the Flames’ front. Which is not to say Treliving isn’t talking to a lot of teams. He’s actually notorious among his peers for checking in on every single team in the league every 10 days or so, where is I think where some of this noise comes from. But I don’t sense anything is imminent, that solution has to come from within.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wait.. Blackwell is on the PP over Laf?
I am over the "he has to earn pp time". Lafreniere can't be that good if he can't even earn first PP time OR the coach is an idiot. I see other kids who are doing great with open ice getting lots of opportunities on the first pp. I mean Blackwell has been awesome but come on can we give this kid a stretch of games where he gets to show what he has with a little open space. Dare I say boost his confidence a bit?

Reactions: jay from jersey

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I am over the "he has to earn pp time". Lafreniere can't be that good if he can't even earn first PP time OR the coach is an idiot. I see other kids who are doing great with open ice getting lots of opportunities on the first pp. I mean Blackwell has been awesome but come on can we give this kid a stretch of games where he gets to show what he has with a little open space. Dare I say boost his confidence a bit?
And this is the key right here. It can help build confidence for a young player finding his way. The talent is there otherwise they would not have been drafted where they were. And even if they are a bust, you have to at least put them in a position to show that they are. Not this bullshit PP2 time when the opportunity arises to bump him up. And as I mentioned before, our PP has SUCKED in general...what are we afraid of? Is getting PP1 time with more talent and more space on the ice going to stunt his development?

DQ is the leader of the clown brigade

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I’m not even calling to fire Quinn. But some of the things he does just makes you shake your head. If he was so into the fundamentals you think he could practice the PP? Or teach centers to win a draw? I’m not looking at the statistics but we have to be near last in both categories. Granted we are a young team but come the hell on. I bet you if we fix one it will help the other. Guess which one? Lol there’s really no excuse for not giving LaF a lil time on the PP1. Maybe he would surprise all of us? No offense to Blackwell whose been one of our positives this year for sure.
Agreed. The critiquing is not the same as wanting to fire. And I'll even be more diplomatic about the PP. Flip Blackwell and Lafreniere to vary the the units with respect to handedness.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
At this point, we have no confidence in Quinn's ability to get the young players to take the next step and hit 25+ points.

How could you, its been 16 games for Lafrieniere, what the heck is he waiting for lol. Fox hasn't hit a softmore slump like most do, Kakko looks worlds better, Miller has been impressive, Chytil way better, Lindgren went from being an AHL player to a top 4 dman, Buchnevich has become a real hockey player. I can understand an argument for other things but developing complete hockey players isn't a something thats an issue for this staff. If you want an explanation for Lafrieniere vs Stutzle point totals, one went to world juniors the other didn't, it was a mistake to have him sitting for 10 months.

Reactions: leetch99 and Kords

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Incase you haven't noticed our pp triggerman has been mia, no amount of practice is gonna solve that. When mika becomes a threat again the pp will be good.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
How could you, its been 16 games for Lafrieniere, what the heck is he waiting for lol. Fox hasn't hit a softmore slump like most do, Kakko looks worlds better, Miller has been impressive, Chytil way better, Lindgren went from being an AHL player to a top 4 dman, Buchnevich has become a real hockey player. I can understand an argument for other things but developing complete hockey players isn't a something thats an issue for this staff. If you want an explanation for Lafrieniere vs Stutzle point totals, one went to world juniors the other didn't, it was a mistake to have him sitting for 10 months.

BUT HE HAD NOTHING TO PROOVE! HE WOULD OF BROKE ALL HIS BONES!!

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Feel like I keep reading that our PP is virtually unchanged from last year, just unlucky so far or not 'executing'.

That's almost true except that Tony DeAngelo is gone and isn't coming back. I love Fox but I'm not sold on him as PP1 QB at this point. And certainly, he's no Tony in that regard. Coaches, management need to realize this (if they haven't). Tony was the straw that stirred the drink last year. They need to stop assuming that you can just swap Fox in and nothing else (personnel, strategy, etc.) won't have to change as well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Incase you haven't noticed our pp triggerman has been mia, no amount of practice is gonna solve that. When mika becomes a threat again the pp will be good.
Yea kinda hard to miss. He used to win a face off once or twice in a game too. The decision to put Blackwell in over LaF is a missed opportunity IMO. But it’s up to diamond Dave

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Watch Stutzle score. Watch Lafreniere.

What's the difference? System and setups.. Our system sucks in that regard.. It suffocates talent. Would Stutzle be scoring goals if he was dumping and chasing? Would Stutzle be scoring on the PP if he was parked on the wall?

The offensive talent is not setup for success as well as everyone makes it seem. Possession numbers are good but that is deceiving... If we keep possession on the perimeter and take low quality shots, what value is that? I never had an issue with Laf or Kakko's time ( unless they are getting 9 minutes ) it's how they are being setup.

Laf seems to be ahead of Kakko in this regard, in putting himself in position to score and see the play... but I'd like to see the kids get more opportunities in HIGH danger positions. That's not afforded to them as much as it should IMO

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah who wants that guy who has been to 2 Stanley Cups, won 1 and has a record of 667-445-10-152. 1,274 games coached.

Yeah who wants that guy.....

I much prefer the coach who will put Blackwell and Ryan Strome on our PP1 over our 1st Overall Pick...

you're going to have the same complaints

Go check Montreal's TOI spread.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Don’t forget this gem.

Seravalli: I think teams are beginning to look at three potential targets from the Detroit Red Wings. All veteran presences, including Bobby Ryan, Luke Glendening and, on the backend, Marc Staal. Glendening leads the league in faceoff percentage. Bobby Ryan is scoring on a contract that every team could fit and Staal would certainly provide that experience on the backend that teams crave come playoff time. Just another way of saying that all three of those guys you can expect to see on the Trade Bait board when it debuts next week.

Stevie Y a TSN source, confirmed.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They've been ass lately.

But a lot of that has been Price.
Yep Price has been giving up some back breaking goals but even the other night they could have lost 6-2 if not for Jake Allen. When you are giving up 2 on 1's and breakaways like nonstop against the sens things are breaking down (although I said Ottawa is gonna be a fun team to watch this year).

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Not sure if this is sarcasm? Not lately and albeit fun those games against Ottawa I would say Ottawa was the better team.

yeah I see now that they've lost 8 of their last 10 and their special teams are horrible

ok I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->