Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
So, for all of our talking about how...less than ideal our goaltending has been, between Georgiev running red hot/ice cold and Shesterkin's slow start, at least we're not the Canucks.

Demko: 4-7-1, 3.31 GAA, .901 sv%
Holtby: 4-5-1, 3.51 GAA, .893 sv%

This is 90% on Vancouver defense that was terrible last year but was covered up by a 2012 Henrik level Markstrom.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The simplest way to understand how David Quinn treats rookies is to understand how most college coaches deal with freshman. (excluding Tony Granato of course). Shelters them, demands they play with structure and makes them bear down on their play away from the puck. Sorta ignores the offensive side completely. This is David Quinn's philosophy with young forwards in a nutshell. To a fault, he ignores their offensive output.

Mind you, i'm not saying this is a good or bad philosophy. Just pointing out what the philosophy is.
It seems like Quinn coaches everyone the same. Whether you are Lafreniere or Lemieux. No mistakes, follow the plan, play safe. It's as if he is developing a 3rd line grinder. Which isn't a terrible thing to instill if you can guide a player towards a Hossa career instead of a Kessel career. Both would be more than successful but we would all prefer defensive contributions to go with the points.

But this just feels off. I would think you try to build confidence while learning from your mistakes. Let them do what made them successful. They aren't dumb, they will figure out that some junior BS doesn't work here.

Not saying I know better, but I do know that, at least for me, overthinking and no confidence is not a good recipe for improving.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
The simplest way to understand how David Quinn treats rookies is to understand how most college coaches deal with freshman. (excluding Tony Granato of course). Shelters them, demands they play with structure and makes them bear down on their play away from the puck. Sorta ignores the offensive side completely. This is David Quinn's philosophy with young forwards in a nutshell. To a fault, he ignores their offensive output.

Mind you, i'm not saying this is a good or bad philosophy. Just pointing out what the philosophy is.
And Jacques Martin undoubtedly has an even more "right side of the puck" chip and chase mentality. Personally, I think Jacques DNA is already all over Quinns team structure.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The funny thing about some people talking coaching change and then they bring up a similar coach to replace Quinn. IMO if you even entertain a coaching change you do what we did last time as we transitioned away from a hard nosed defense first Tortorella and take the defensive foundation he added and add an offensive coach to unlock the other side of the game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is 90% on Vancouver defense that was terrible last year but was covered up by a 2012 Henrik level Markstrom.

Holtby has been terrible for years. Him being bad is nothing surprising in the least. But yes, Vancouver defense is also very bad.

Reactions: Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The funny thing about some people talking coaching change and then they bring up a similar coach to replace Quinn. IMO if you even entertain a coaching change you do what we did last time as we transitioned away from a hard nosed defense first Tortorella and take the defensive foundation he added and add an offensive coach to unlock the other side of the game.

At this point, we have no confidence in Quinn's ability to get the young players to take the next step and hit 25+ points.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Yea hossa Slovak Balej was Czech i believe
Yea hossa Slovak Balej was Czech i believe
516B59BF-370C-43D8-B2B2-036018A58A27.jpeg

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It's amazing that Balej only played 13 games for the Rangers because I like, distinctly remember him.

He must have been that bad.
Remember he was the prize of the Montreal trade. Sammy was talking up his skill big time during that time. He actually looked like a player in 1 game, made some slick plays with his hands, hit a post, then the bottom fell out and he was never seen again

Reactions: Machinehead

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nothing I’m reading here about how Quinn likes to develop offensive players has anything to do with putting a Colin Blackwell on PP1 over your first overall pick

it’s absolutely ridiculous period

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I was kind of contemplating this myself the other day having D1 Army in my back yard I recognize the structure.

Except Lafreniere and Kakko are not typical high school kids who were big fish in a small pond coming into competitive collegiate hockey. Laf and Kak have effectively bypassed that stage by being litteraly the best in their age group.

I'm not saying both didn't need some break in time and I personally am more of a fan of the route Anaheim took with Zegras but I digress.

Also, another parallel I have noticed: Army doesn't do A Caps, they run four Captains like Quinn is running four A Caps. There is no hierarchy within the leadership core. I'm on the fence with that one. I dont see any Type A guys on this team in the top 6/4 outside maybe Trouba who i wouldn't qualify as a Captain for other reasons outside personality.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nothing I’m reading here about how Quinn likes to develop offensive players has anything to do with putting a Colin Blackwell on PP1 over your first overall pick

it’s absolutely ridiculous period
Especially with so many starters out of the line up. No one is saying LaF sucks or comparing stats, or anything of that nature. Famous Dave has taken it upon himself to insert a 27 yr old journeyman fwd, whose playing well granted, on PP1 instead of our crown Jewel we just drafted because.....
Not even saying LaF has to stay there, but throw the freakin kid a bone, he just scored, he’s probably flying high. Ride the wave Dave

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
No thanks
Yeah who wants that guy who has been to 2 Stanley Cups, won 1 and has a record of 667-445-10-152. 1,274 games coached.

Yeah who wants that guy.....

I much prefer the coach who will put Blackwell and Ryan Strome on our PP1 over our 1st Overall Pick...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’d take any adult in the room at this point over Quinn

to trust a complete nobody to develop the first and second overall picks in back to back years is negligence as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad