Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This team has already performed under knoblauch. If Quinn is gone and we can’t poach Quenneville, just hand it over to Kris and Gord. They know the system the team has played and they know the personnel better than anyone we could bring in.

Reactions: Daves a mess

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Not sure this is a good idea

They've played a lot of hockey in not a lot of days. Miller first year off college schedule, fox has played a ton, laf is the one that I thought could go to get more pt, unless the team feels he needs more off ice training time to help further develop his body. Remember it's a short summer for them.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No Torts
No Babs

First choice is a miracle happens and cheap ass Carolina screws up and doesn’t re-sign Brind’amour’s crew and he leaves, we back up the brinks truck. Not banking on it and it’s a long shot but stranger things have happened.

second choice - go in-house with Knoblach. One year contract no long term commit just in case someone else pops up.

third choice Gallant

right or wrong, I don't see us going with another inexperienced coach so knoblauch probably isn't the guy right now.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No Torts
No Babs

First choice is a miracle happens and cheap ass Carolina screws up and doesn’t re-sign Brind’amour’s crew and he leaves, we back up the brinks truck. Not banking on it and it’s a long shot but stranger things have happened.

second choice - go in-house with Knoblach. One year contract no long term commit just in case someone else pops up.

third choice Gallant
My list would be
Brindamour- highly unlikely
Montgomery- unlikely
Gallant- possible
Torts/Knoblauch/ guys like green/ or AHL guy like Keefe was before he signed with the leafs all fall in the same category for me

Last edited:

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
People on these boards are pretty upset and I understand that. I am too, for the most part. However, there are a number of things that people are mad about, but their solutions are crazy.

Not enough ice time for Kakko, Laf, Krav and maybe Gauthier? Hire Torts. I'm sure he would play them so much.

Team isn't tough enough? Trade for Eichel(not tough) and more prospects that aren't available. E.g. Krebs, Newhook, Lundell, Halloway, Zegras, etc.

Need veteran leadership and presence of playoff players? Trade Kreider, Trouba, and Mika. The only existing playoffs players on the team. Haha

Now, I can be convinced of some things. I'm pretty open minded. But, Torts is bad for this team. He is bad for most teams. As for these prospects people keep throwing out there that aren't available that we should trade for, we have those. What we need are NHLers. We are young enough, like damn. How young do you want the team to be? Everyone under 25? Haha

A few personal opinions I have now that the season is over.

1.Miller should be kept at all costs. You dont trade a young, great rookie year, tall, strong, versatile dman like that for maybes like Jones(who shouldn't have been in the NHL), Robertson, and if you want to lump em in, Hajek and Reunanen. Every dman can't be 5'11".

2. Trouba is the captain of this team.

3. I think Buch should be traded. I like him. I like him a lot. But I think he is the perfect piece we can move for a little more, truculence.

4. Fire Quinn and either promote Martin or Knoblauch. This is one area I can be convinced of something else, but for sure not Torts.

5. It's either Mika or Strome. Not both. So we have to pick which one cause we need a center that's tougher to play against than both those guys. Someone who is a problem for other teams when we have the puck and dont, good in both ends and can take draws.

6. Trade Geogiev.

Reactions: NYRangers16

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I really didn't expect miller to make it...but with Drury being the GM, I have to wonder if maybe Fox is banged up a bit and its his decision to not go?
I really didn't expect miller to make it...but with Drury being the GM, I have to wonder if maybe Fox is banged up a bit and its his decision to not go?
Fox is I’m sure a little worn down and banged up. They rode him hard down the stretch. He shouldn’t have been playing that many minutes but we had no choice

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
And that’s the exact problem. Pld was exactly the player torts should’ve been absolutely nurturing and instead managed to find a way to get him to want out.

Torts was nurturing him, Torts style. I don't think Torts is a bad guy, it's just not everyone responds to his way of doing things. This is by no means a unique problem to have, people are different and have different dynamics.

It's the same with Quinn or whatever new coach comes eventually. If, say, Quinn is trying to make Kakko into a North South Quinn version of Kakko (Quakko) then he is a fool and Kakko needs to get out of town. Let Kakko be the best version of Kakko possible. I'm using Kakko as an example because I suspect Quinn is kind of Qryptonite for Kakko and possibly for Kravtsov. A new coach may be kryptonite for another player. I'd love to listen in on the exit interviews to be sure.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
I'd rather our players not go to the WC and get as much training in as they can. People over estimate how much strength you can gain in a few months and its huge for young players to get in the gym and skate with skill coaches.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
People on these boards are pretty upset and I understand that. I am too, for the most part. However, there are a number of things that people are mad about, but their solutions are crazy.

Not enough ice time for Kakko, Laf, Krav and maybe Gauthier? Hire Torts. I'm sure he would play them so much.

Team isn't tough enough? Trade for Eichel(not tough) and more prospects that aren't available. E.g. Krebs, Newhook, Lundell, Halloway, Zegras, etc.

Need veteran leadership and presence of playoff players? Trade Kreider, Trouba, and Mika. The only existing playoffs players on the team. Haha

Now, I can be convinced of some things. I'm pretty open minded. But, Torts is bad for this team. He is bad for most teams. As for these prospects people keep throwing out there that aren't available that we should trade for, we have those. What we need are NHLers. We are young enough, like damn. How young do you want the team to be? Everyone under 25? Haha

A few personal opinions I have now that the season is over.

1.Miller should be kept at all costs. You dont trade a young, great rookie year, tall, strong, versatile dman like that for maybes like Jones(who shouldn't have been in the NHL), Robertson, and if you want to lump em in, Hajek and Reunanen. Every dman can't be 5'11".

2. Trouba is the captain of this team.

3. I think Buch should be traded. I like him. I like him a lot. But I think he is the perfect piece we can move for a little more, truculence.

4. Fire Quinn and either promote Martin or Knoblauch. This is one area I can be convinced of something else, but for sure not Torts.

5. It's either Mika or Strome. Not both. So we have to pick which one cause we need a center that's tougher to play against than both those guys. Someone who is a problem for other teams when we have the puck and dont, good in both ends and can take draws.

6. Trade Geogiev.
Strongly disagree on 1, 2, 3 & 4 lol

I feel like we can move on from Mika though, and his response to the incident was the nail in the coffin for me. I just don't think he is the type of player you win with as a leader of a team. I think there's a reason he never ended up getting the C

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Took less than a day of following Carp again on Twitter to be reminded that he's a total drama queen.
Carp has a weird view of his readers. Like he despises or resents them. He will bait people on the Athletic and then be condescending when they react how he wants. Contrarian. Say Gauthier plays for the first time in a month and looks rusty. "Gauthier proving why all these amateur GMs are unemployed."

Reactions: Tob and NYRangers16

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Something I’ll never miss is Torts on post games throwing his whole roster under the bus “I would’ve won if it weren’t for Hank stinking it up tonight” that’s not leadership. That’s cowardice.
Lol. I know you're exaggerating for effect but Torts has never said that.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
The players don't love Quinn. You saw it in the body language. I don't think Mika and Kreider are thrilled with him.

Torts was a lunatic his last season in NY at least to the players and organization. I met him on Easter and he was a pure gentleman to me and we had a good two min talk. But Hank was 100% one of the people who was over his act. Richards too as they had a fractured relationship for a few years which has since been repaired.
There may be some truth to perhaps some don't like Quinn but this is pure conjecture.

Do you know how many players HATED Scott Bowman during his cup runs with Montreal? Over the years I've heard many if not all of their top players. Except maybe Larry Robinson and Jacques Lemaire.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I can reasonably put kk above him by next season.
vk maybe needs another year but by eye test I can see a higher end game than buch can provide. Without top 6 opportunities I don’t know that he gets there as quickly and easily.
I know you can say that you would.

You and I can imagine the offensive production getting good enough to do it but right now, based on their performances, no you can't reasonably do it

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Carp has a weird view of his readers. Like he despises or resents them. He will bait people on the Athletic and then be condescending when they react how he wants. Contrarian. Say Gauthier plays for the first time in a month and looks rusty. "Gauthier proving why all these amateur GMs are unemployed."

Carp baits the reader and Larry baits the players, coaches, and executives. Vince and Molly are our only hope.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The main Rangers factor in Chris Drury's David Quinn decision

Brooks thinks DQ is a goner.

drops the usual names plus Roy as guys to look for.
A good amount on Tortorella here too. At least Brooks’ memory works.
But when one high profile player after another after another (after another) told then-general manager Glen Sather that the team could no longer endure the constant tension created by the coach’s confrontational style and that a change was necessary behind the bench, Tortorella was out within 24 hours

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
There may be some truth to perhaps some don't like Quinn but this is pure conjecture.

Do you know how many players HATED Scott Bowman during his cup runs with Montreal? Over the years I've heard many if not all of their top players. Except maybe Larry Robinson and Jacques Lemaire.
I wonder out of how many of those players that hated Bowman how many respected him?
I would think that’s the key.

Reactions: Daves a mess
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad