Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I hope no torts. The year he coached us to the presidents trophy and the conference finals I fell asleep most 3rd periods out of pure boredom.

Reactions: NYRangers16

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He got a disgruntled PLD exchanged for Laine and Roslovic.....and healthy scratched each within a couple weeks. He turns good players into garbage.

PLD quit on the team, and Torts, after years of putting effort into him to build him into a NHL C. And they didn't even get a clear answer out of PLD what the problem was. Trying to make Laine a two-way old fashioned power forward was lunacy. The game has moved on from Torts.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
the lack of veteran leaders and guys who know how to win is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed
Agreed, and the two guys who fit the bill the most on the team are guys everyone want shipped out...Kreider and Trouba.

The lack of playoff experience on this team is crazy. Aside from some earlier seasons with Ott, Mika has one playoff with us and the bubble. Definitely need more guys like Trouba who do it on and off the ice. Kreider just seems to be good off the ice.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Statement was the final drop imo. Games like NYI and WAS happen, and such things are fixable and would have been addressed during the summer.

The timing of the chop just screams Counter-Statement. Sather wasn't the only one who got his wires crossed, so Dolan was poked out of his box. Also it's funny no one takes responsibility for the Statement. We are told JD & Gorton were not in the know about it. The Statement magically "went out" without anyone sending it or taking responsibility for it, yet it was big enough a deal for the NHL to fine the Rangers $250,000.
The statement was 100% Dolan.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Nils doesn't play small. We should avoid the trap of linking toughness or physicality to size all the time.

It's not a failure if Schneider has to play in the AHL assuming Nils wins a spot in camp. Which is basically my way of saying that we don't need to make room or figure exactly who stays and who goes yet.

There is still an Edmonton vibe about some aspects of the Rangers. Lots of big guys with not necessarily the most hockey sense to go with their size and speed (Miller, Howden, Chytil, Gauthier eg). When they do get their game together they are good players, but smaller hockey players with higher hockey smarts shouldn't be underestimated.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lots of revisionist history going on around here regarding Torts.

In what way?

He was really good for that type of team. His last year was painful but that's because they had Asham, Pyatt, Halpern, and we were thirsting for guys like the legendary Ben Ferriero because the team had major depth issues after the Nash trade and letting Fedotenko go.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I was wondering that myself - only because I just watched an interview with Torts where he said his assistants run x's and o's which frees him up to do the Herb Brooks mind**** stuff.
It was when he discussed pld quitting during the game and how he felt he had to bench him bc w the modern athlete he feels his job is to manage personalities, maintain accountability, and culture.

I thought the perspective was great when looking at such a team game considering how modern athletes seem to becoming more individualistic in other sports

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I can't reasonably put Kakko or VK above Buch for at least 2 more seasons though. By season 3 a whole lot of contracts become moveable or get traded away. Buch's could be very movable.

Doesn't make sense to me to jettison Buch now when there likely isn't a reason to until 22-23 at the earliest (and likely more like 23-24)
I can reasonably put kk above him by next season.
vk maybe needs another year but by eye test I can see a higher end game than buch can provide. Without top 6 opportunities I don’t know that he gets there as quickly and easily.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
PLD quit on the team, and Torts, after years of putting effort into him to build him into a NHL C. And they didn't even get a clear answer out of PLD what the problem was. Trying to make Laine a two-way old fashioned power forward was lunacy. The game has moved on from Torts.
And that’s the exact problem. Pld was exactly the player torts should’ve been absolutely nurturing and instead managed to find a way to get him to want out.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Something I’ll never miss is Torts on post games throwing his whole roster under the bus “I would’ve won if it weren’t for Hank stinking it up tonight” that’s not leadership. That’s cowardice.
I like how he wouldn’t let anyone step on the team logo in the center, I like how he can get the most of of guys. There’s good stuff to Torts. A great motivator but let’s not forget about the bad either. Probably not the worst guy to bring in for this situation but probably not the right guy either

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
so with all due respect to kevin rooney, who I think exceeded all expectations this year....who are some ideas of guys we can target to upgrade the 4th line?

I want a 4th line that can skate, is aggressive on the forecheck, gets in the other teams face and can be used as an energy/momentum line. playing physically hockey, not fighting preferably with some skill....

is there a 4C out there that you could put between Barron and Gauthier to achieve that?

obviously its not easy to find someone that checks all the boxes but some attributes I'd like in that guy

1) can kill penalties
2) can win some faceoffs
3) veteran with playoff experience
4) locker room leader
5) guy that brings the winning mentality that we need on the ice.

any thoughts on guys we should target?

Reactions: Cag29

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I can reasonably put kk above him by next season.
vk maybe needs another year but by eye test I can see a higher end game than buch can provide. Without top 6 opportunities I don’t know that he gets there as quickly and easily.
They need top 9 time (adding 1-2 mins per game) but WITH prime power play ice. If kk and laf actually got legitimate pp time this year than this board isn't freaking out as much about their toi numbers as much bc it actually totals out better

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
so with all due respect to kevin rooney, who I think exceeded all expectations this year....who are some ideas of guys we can target to upgrade the 4th line?

I want a 4th line that can skate, is aggressive on the forecheck, gets in the other teams face and can be used as an energy/momentum line. playing physically hockey, not fighting preferably with some skill....

is there a 4C out there that you could put between Barron and Gauthier to achieve that?

obviously its not easy to find someone that checks all the boxes but some attributes I'd like in that guy

1) can kill penalties
2) can win some faceoffs
3) veteran with playoff experience
4) locker room leader
5) guy that brings the winning mentality that we need on the ice.

any thoughts on guys we should target?
Goodrow UFA does everything stated above and would only cost cash
Derek Ryan too but Goodrow should be first on our wish list

Reactions: Leetch3

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
No Torts
No Babs

First choice is a miracle happens and cheap ass Carolina screws up and doesn’t re-sign Brind’amour’s crew and he leaves, we back up the brinks truck. Not banking on it and it’s a long shot but stranger things have happened.

second choice - go in-house with Knoblach. One year contract no long term commit just in case someone else pops up.

third choice Gallant

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Where is this nonsense coming from that torts routinely called out players publicly and blamed individuals for losses? He almost always REFUSES to comment on individual players after a loss and most of the time if he did comment on an individual that player had deserved it.

He is a culture and accountability builder. These are things missing here. We can and should debate how the offense would work here with him but we are dismissing that he addresses the glaring holes that currently exist here.

We've had back to back player's coaches and the lack of team and accountability was on full display lately. Torts is the kind of guy I would love molding a CULTURE for young players of togetherness and accountability.

Reactions: duhmetreE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->