Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
People who don't want to 'hustle', get shown the door. Wouldn't you want the coach to hold everyone accountable? Or you'd prefer the team play of this year, where we looked like we're sleep walking?

I don't know where you get your information. Mika and Bread would be fine under Torts. Bread left because it's Columbus. Your list is stretching it. Gaborik? the one we were clamoring to get traded? you talking about Brad Richards? the player who won a Cup and Conn Smythe with Torts? Goalies? Did Torts grind the goalies too much into blocking shots?

His act wears thin after 3 or so years but his results are undeniable. You want a coach the 'players love', keep Quinn.

Hank and Cally ragged on him? They had their best years under him.

You want to have 'buddy buddy' we will look like we did this year. If you want to be tough and compete, you need an asshole drill sergeant. Most people need to be pushed.
It doesn’t seem to me like the players love Quinn, but that’s no reason to hire Torts and burn our roster to the ground

Reactions: fm

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What is this based on though? He was definitely top 6 all season

And by crazy I mean people are constantly talking about it.

Also this upcoming season? I literally mentioned more seasons beyond that...
He’s a top 6 winger for us this year.
But on the left side we have laf and Panarin.
On the right we have Kakko and Kratsov
Kreider and buch are essentially going to be 3rd line guys if they stay.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
People who don't want to 'hustle', get shown the door. Wouldn't you want the coach to hold everyone accountable? Or you'd prefer the team play of this year, where we looked like we're sleep walking?

I don't know where you get your information. Mika and Bread would be fine under Torts. Bread left because it's Columbus. Your list is stretching it. Gaborik? the one we were clamoring to get traded? you talking about Brad Richards? the player who won a Cup and Conn Smythe with Torts? Goalies? Did Torts grind the goalies too much into blocking shots?

His act wears thin after 3 or so years but his results are undeniable. You want a coach the 'players love', keep Quinn.

You want to have 'buddy buddy' we will look like we did this year. If you want to be tough and compete, you need an asshole drill sergeant. Most people need to be pushed.

This team also sorely lacks leadership. Torts' personality fills that leadership void. Like it or not, it would.

Reactions: duhmetreE

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This team also sorely lacks leadership. Torts' personality fills that leadership void. Like it or not, it would.
Torts leadership doesn’t always fit every team.
He could quite as easily alienate a decent chunk of our roster and cause them to ask out.
I see tort as an absolutely worst case scenario.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I can't reasonably put Kakko or VK above Buch for at least 2 more seasons though. By season 3 a whole lot of contracts become moveable or get traded away. Buch's could be very movable.

Doesn't make sense to me to jettison Buch now when there likely isn't a reason to until 22-23 at the earliest (and likely more like 23-24)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It doesn’t seem to me like the players love Quinn, but that’s no reason to hire Torts and burn our roster to the ground

the way the team didn't roll over and die after the firings would contradict the idea that they don't like quinn. the writing seems to be on the wall and with nothing left to play for they could have easily just gone thru the motions and waited for him to be fired. he's probably gone anyway cause I don't see how you fire the front office and not also change the coach. and i'm not going to get into the pros and cons of that cause thats been covered. but I don't agree that the players don't like him

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

The players don't love Quinn. You saw it in the body language. I don't think Mika and Kreider are thrilled with him.

Torts was a lunatic his last season in NY at least to the players and organization. I met him on Easter and he was a pure gentleman to me and we had a good two min talk. But Hank was 100% one of the people who was over his act. Richards too as they had a fractured relationship for a few years which has since been repaired.

Reactions: Avery16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Something I’ll never miss is Torts on post games throwing his whole roster under the bus “I would’ve won if it weren’t for Hank stinking it up tonight” that’s not leadership. That’s cowardice.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I see Kreider staying and being asked to mould his game a bit to a more physical style. Buch scores too much, plays too much of a finesse game and doesn’t have a contract effecting his value to keep him as a third line player - I think he can return a lot. I hate to see him go but one of him, Kakko or Kravstov will have to and of the bunch I hope it’s him

fm

Jul 28, 2016
the way the team didn't roll over and die after the firings would contradict the idea that they don't like quinn. the writing seems to be on the wall and with nothing left to play for they could have easily just gone thru the motions and waited for him to be fired. he's probably gone anyway cause I don't see how you fire the front office and not also change the coach. and i'm not going to get into the pros and cons of that cause thats been covered. but I don't agree that the players don't like him

these guys are pros. Competitors. They don’t quit just because they’re not friends with their coach. It’s more complicated. They want to win. They want to get paid when their contracts are up. They want to be proud. They want to star watch and collect numbers. They want to feel good about their efforts and their career path.

it’s not a simple as finding someone who’s either going to scream/befriend them into winning lol.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Why did so many of our players sit the last two games? What happened to Kreider, was he injured? What was Panarin’s injury?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Maybe, we don't really have much of an idea that those 2 will be better than Buch at this stage. He isn't taking ice time away from Kakko as it is. The guy taking minutes away from him was Blackwell. I can understand moving Buch from a cap perspective, or wanting to add a different element up front, but performance wise there's nothing to suggest that we should be moving on from him. He's our best RW.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
How the games against NYI and WAS went, it crossed wired Sather. Panarin being ragdolled and injured was the final nail in the coffin.

What do you think Sather was telling Dolan when that happened? It is unacceptable, how it was handled was very Dolanesque though. Unless Sather was “requesting” more toughness or protection on the team and was ignored

The Statement was the final drop imo. Games like NYI and WAS happen, and such things are fixable and would have been addressed during the summer.

The timing of the chop just screams Counter-Statement. Sather wasn't the only one who got his wires crossed, so Dolan was poked out of his box. Also it's funny no one takes responsibility for the Statement. We are told JD & Gorton were not in the know about it. The Statement magically "went out" without anyone sending it or taking responsibility for it, yet it was big enough a deal for the NHL to fine the Rangers $250,000.

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
the lack of veteran leaders and guys who know how to win is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed

Well it’s a rebuild. You add those guys for cup runs. With the age of this team, it’s a bit too early. Like I said, we have all the talent we need. Now it’s about crafting a roster. After that, then we add those guys.

I can def. say this, I’ve never seen a rebuild this successful in 25 years of watching sports. In 3 years we have an amazing prospect pool + young guys oozing talent. How many teams have a Kravtsov, let alone a Fox, Laf, KK, or hell Panarin and Zibby. This is a dream scenario. If this is handled right, we will win multiple cups. It just has to be done right.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Next year or more like "four months from now" lol which is when training camp starts is a big season for Kaako. He's improved the defensive game and was noticeable in probably 65% of the games he played. He needs to improve his offense but also bot noticeable 85% of the time.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Torts said recently in an interview "It's time for people to figure out who wants to be here [CBJ] and who wants to go". CBJ is going for a full reset and Torts isn't a good fit there now.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I can't see Miller being moved. One of the smaller, puck moving defenseman could. I would hate to see Nils Lundkvist traded but thats just what I see happening.
Nils doesn't play small. We should avoid the trap of linking toughness or physicality to size all the time.

It's not a failure if Schneider has to play in the AHL assuming Nils wins a spot in camp. Which is basically my way of saying that we don't need to make room or figure exactly who stays and who goes yet.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Torts said recently in an interview "It's time for people to figure out who wants to be here [CBJ] and who wants to go". CBJ is going for a full reset and Torts isn't a good fit there now.
He got a disgruntled PLD exchanged for Laine and Roslovic.....and healthy scratched each within a couple weeks. He turns good players into garbage.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I would not say I would be 'gung ho' over getting Torts, but I would understand it

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Maybe, we don't really have much of an idea that those 2 will be better than Buch at this stage. He isn't taking ice time away from Kakko as it is. The guy taking minutes away from him was Blackwell. I can understand moving Buch from a cap perspective, or wanting to add a different element up front, but performance wise there's nothing to suggest that we should be moving on from him. He's our best RW.

I think there are a lot of variables.

Does Buch want to sign a long term deal while there's a flat cap?
Will he accept a contract free of NMC/NTC's, or at the very least will he accept a limited NTC?
Is there an offer on the table for Buch that Drury would be stupid to say no to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad