Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Yeah, agreed. I do wonder why that’s the line on him. Is it possible assistants set up that structure?

He was using his crazy wingspan very effectively for the first half of the season. I think he hit the wall some college players do.

I was wondering that myself - only because I just watched an interview with Torts where he said his assistants run x's and o's which frees him up to do the Herb Brooks mind**** stuff.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I can’t believe people would actually want to see Torts back behind the bench.

The work ethic he’d instill is definitely something they’re starved for, but his system is the last way this team needs to be playing IMO.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
LMAO why are his teams “talent limited”??

because he pushes the stars out! He’s a baby who can’t tolerate the fact that stars get credit and rightfully so. Look at the NBA.

Gaborik. Richards. Luongo. Panarin. DuBois. Stone. Bobrovsky. It’s the same story every city every year or two.

no wonder Hank and Cally and all fragged him at exit interviews.

you want this team huffing and puffing? He’ll make it happen. But say goodbye to Mika, bread, maybe KK, VK, Igor. Say hello to the Folignos of the league. Hope you like grinding your way to a seventh seed and hard earned second round appearance!

F U C K. T O R T S.
He managed to alienate Byfuglien and render him completely ineffective in about a week.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I’m not saying Torts is inept.

But he is a small person who is incapable of separating his job from his feelings about players. He has a big ego. Cross him, and he will bench you, even if it means losing a game we’d otherwise win.

That’s not a winning coach, and there’s a reason why he hasn’t won a Cup in about 20 years. There’s a reason why his USA team drastically underperformed.

He’s bad at player management, and honestly the whole league has his strategies beat. He can win games, but he won’t win a series unless it’s a serious mismatch.

Plus, our stars will burn out, they’ll leave. Look at the exodus of talent from Columbus over the past several years. Remember Gaborik?
Didn't his Columbus team sweep Tampa (cup favorites at the time?)

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
The thing I like about Torts is that he prioritizes conditioning. This team looks slow and unconditioned in a lot of games. I feel like Quinn doesn't push these guys to improve physically. Torts does the opposite.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The thing I like about Torts is that he prioritizes conditioning. This team looks slow and unconditioned in a lot of games. I feel like Quinn doesn't push these guys to improve physically. Torts does the opposite.
If that’s true, why are all his horses broken in half the time it usually takes

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Miller still exceeded expectations despite a disappointing final month. I didn't expect him to even make the team. He will get better, and more comfortable playing in the NHL.

See my earlier post. He was asked to do too much for a year one rookie with all the injuries. He still scored 5 goals and was a +9 despite having some very bumpy moments. He's going to improve so much once he fully grows into his body.

Reactions: haveandare

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Torts is one of the best coaches in the league, I think he's much more adaptable than he gets credit for, and his marquee contribution (motivation) is what we have been sorely lacking the most for a calendar year.

But... I'm not sure if I want him back either. It really would be a risky, swing for the fences kind of hire. Because you just KNOW that there would be some guys that don't mesh with him. Whether it be kids like Kakko, Chytil, or Kravtsov; or vets like Buch, Kreider, or Mika: there would be some drama.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The main issue with the roster isn't an enforcer or adding pure bangers, they didn't have any Cup winners or vets who have been there/done that. Look at a team like Florida adding Hornqvist. I was all about Connor Sheary and everyone on this board felt he was redundant. He's been a big help to Washington. Bonino in Minnesota.

Even guys like Simmonds and Thornton who haven't won Cups but have had long careers and leadership roles.

Maybe it was covid and no one wanted to come to NY like @Edge mentioned, or maybe it was they didn't feel adding a Fedotenko like player for league minimum would have benefited, but it's something this roster is missing.

Mika, Kreider, Panarin, Trouba are all nice guys and don't demand their teammates to be better. Smith wasn't good enough or high up on the food chain to get everyone to be accountable.

Get at least one or two pros of pros in the locker room.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I think people have a common misconception of Torts. His teams play a style that are catered to their skills/strengths. In Tampa, when he won, he had skill and coined the phrase, 'Safe is Death'.

With the Rangers and now CLB, there has been extremely limited talent. I would not expect him to be the same coach as he was in his last stay as a Ranger.

His teams overperform for around 3 years, then he gets tiring. IMO he has the potential to be a good-great coach for this team moving forward.... even when he's gone, his after effects remain.

I think that was true at the beginning of his time here, but toward the end, the team was adding more skill and he was not adjusting his system. Then AV comes in and takes the reins off and the offense takes off.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The main issue with the roster isn't an enforcer or adding pure bangers, they didn't have any Cup winners or vets who have been there/done that. Look at a team like Florida adding Hornqvist. I was all about Connor Sheary and everyone on this board felt he was redundant. He's been a big help to Washington. Bonino in Minnesota.

Even guys like Simmonds and Thornton who haven't won Cups but have had long careers and leadership roles.

Maybe it was covid and no one wanted to come to NY like @Edge mentioned, or maybe it was they didn't feel adding a Fedotenko like player for league minimum would have benefited, but it's something this roster is missing.

Mika, Kreider, Panarin, Trouba are all nice guys and don't demand their teammates to be better. Smith wasn't good enough or high up on the food chain to get everyone to be accountable.

the lack of veteran leaders and guys who know how to win is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think that was true at the beginning of his time here, but toward the end, the team was adding more skill and he was not adjusting his system. Then AV comes in and takes the reins off and the offense takes off.
He laid the foundation though. AVs team had Torts hockey in their DNA. We have now swung to the opposite side of the spectrum and it sucks. We need to be somewhere in the middle but if I had a choice, I'd lean more to Torts Hockey.... Not full blown 2011 NYR Torts hockey... a few clicks in the other direction.

I'm not going to advocate getting him but I can understand why though. He'd instill great habits and have the potential to overachieve. What does overachieving mean for this roster/team? Even when he's gone, those habits stay for a time.

fm

Jul 28, 2016

YES.

This is exactly what I meant a week or two before The Red Wednesday when I said they’re probably “only a player or two away “

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
LMAO why are his teams “talent limited”??

because he pushes the stars out! He’s a baby who can’t tolerate the fact that stars get credit and rightfully so. Look at the NBA.

Gaborik. Richards. Luongo. Panarin. DuBois. Stone. Bobrovsky. It’s the same story every city every year or two.

no wonder Hank and Cally and all fragged him at exit interviews.

you want this team huffing and puffing? He’ll make it happen. But say goodbye to Mika, bread, maybe KK, VK, Igor. Say hello to the Folignos of the league. Hope you like grinding your way to a seventh seed and hard earned second round appearance!

F U C K. T O R T S.
People who don't want to 'hustle', get shown the door. Wouldn't you want the coach to hold everyone accountable? Or you'd prefer the team play of this year, where we looked like we're sleep walking?

I don't know where you get your information. Mika and Bread would be fine under Torts. Bread left because it's Columbus. Your list is stretching it. Gaborik? the one we were clamoring to get traded? you talking about Brad Richards? the player who won a Cup and Conn Smythe with Torts? Goalies? Did Torts grind the goalies too much into blocking shots?

His act wears thin after 3 or so years but his results are undeniable. You want a coach the 'players love', keep Quinn.

Hank and Cally ragged on him? They had their best years under him.

You want to have 'buddy buddy' we will look like we did this year. If you want to be tough and compete, you need an asshole drill sergeant. Most people need to be pushed.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It's been a problem since MSL left. I'd rather bring in a Cup winner who is cooked for one year like a Hjarmolsson than a sexy piece who has put up good numbers but never got past round two.

my hope is that we can find a few '2 for the price of 1' situations where the guys brought in to fix the depth and balance out the roster are also guys with playoff experience and cups. like for example an ian cole on defense or blake coleman on wing.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Quinn watch: day 1.

All is quite as Quinn carries blackwell's boxes out of the locker room. As they say good bye Quinn, fighting back tears, screams "if you need anything over the summer, cash, a backrub, whattever just call.. or text. I'll always just be a moment away..... in the windowless van around the corner from you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad