Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
And what will retaliating after the fact do other than put the team on the PK?

Let the Caps know they aren't going to let their star players get tossed around like a rag doll? Isn't that enough of a reason? Season is over, let the Caps score 16 PP goals tomorrow night. Setting the tone for next year is more important than the outcome of tomorrow night's game. They can't let last night go, they just can't. We talk about development non-stop around here but part of a team's development is letting it be known they won't be pushed around by f***heads like Tom Wilson.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Many seem to think you fix this by diving in the bargain bin and adding Cedric Pacquette to the 4th line. Voila.

It’s not about having a deterrent. There’s no deterring Wilson. It’s about the way the team plays. The team just needs to be tougher to play against, not “tougher”. Yes, having some snarl certainly is a factor there. But that’s not really what it’s about.

If Kreider was finishing every check, if Chytil was using his speed and big body to make contact when forechecking instead of limply trying to swipe the puck with his stick on a flyby, if the only guy with a 24/7 motor wasn’t a career AHLer, we’d be tougher to play against. Tough to play against doesn’t mean having a guy who can put you through the boards or “make you answer”. It’s playing as a team that finishes every check, is so hard on the forecheck that you never have a second to think before that hit is coming, even if it’s not heavy.

Guys like Copp, Bennett, Goodrow, Danault, Crouse, etc. add that. They’re not bargain bin plug and play 4th liners and they’re not stars. And you can’t really get by with just one. You need a few up and down the lineup so that 75% of the time you have at least one guy on the ice with a motor who will lay the body, even if he’s 5’10 190, just to let the opponent know he’s there and he’s gonna be there when the puck goes to that corner every time.

This is what the team needs. This is the drill Quinn should be running all practice. Everyone at center, Quinn yells two names, fires a puck to one of the corners you race and battle for it. Guy who loses adds a set of sprint to his balance. Do this for an hour. At the end of the practice you owe however many sets of sprints as battles you lost. Keep a running tab. Make it a competition in the locker room all year long. Whoever wins the most battles gets bragging rights. Maybe the team gets together and buys him a Rolex. Guys who are getting beat non stop get ragged on by their teammates and want to improve.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Many seem to think you fix this by diving in the bargain bin and adding Cedric Pacquette to the 4th line. Voila.

It’s not about having a deterrent. There’s no deterring Wilson. It’s about the way the team plays. The team just needs to be tougher to play against, not “tougher”. Yes, having some snarl certainly is a factor there. But that’s not really what it’s about.

If Kreider was finishing every check, if Chytil was using his speed and big body to make contact when forechecking instead of limply trying to swipe the puck with his stick on a flyby, if the only guy with a 24/7 motor wasn’t a career AHLer, we’d be tougher to play against. Tough to play against doesn’t mean having a guy who can put you through the boards or “make you answer”. It’s playing as a team that finishes every check, is so hard on the forecheck that you never have a second to think before that hit is coming, even if it’s not heavy.

Guys like Copp, Bennett, Goodrow, Danault, Crouse, etc. add that. They’re not bargain bin plug and play 4th liners and they’re not stars. And you can’t really get by with just one. You need a few up and down the lineup so that 75% of the time you have at least one guy on the ice with a motor who will lay the body, even if he’s 5’10 190, just to let the opponent know he’s there and he’s gonna be there when the puck goes to that corner every time.

This is what the team needs. This is the drill Quinn should be running all practice. Everyone at center, Quinn yells two names, fires a puck to one of the corners you race and battle for it. Guy who loses adds a set of sprint to his balance. Do this for an hour. At the end of the practice you owe however many sets of sprints as battles you lost. Keep a running tab. Make it a competition in the locker room all year long. Whoever wins the most battles gets bragging rights. Maybe the team gets together and buys him a Rolex. Guys who are getting beat non stop get ragged on by their teammates and want to improve.
Yeah, big no on Pacquette. The guy sucks and the price will be jacked up because he happened to be standing there when his team won the Stanley Cup.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

All of this is true but it doesn't address or prevent what Wilson did last night. Sometimes, you just have to punch the bully right in the mouth.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
All of this is true but it doesn't address or prevent what Wilson did last night. Sometimes, you just have to punch the bully right in the mouth.

It’s an organized sporting event. In life I agree with you. In the NHL the only thing that is going to address or prevent what Wilson did is the NHL, and the only way they’re going to do that is to threaten his livelihood. Short of putting him in the ICU, Wilson isn’t going to stop being Wilson because he lost a fight or got laid out. And dressing guys just for the purpose of doing that kind of damage doesn’t win hockey games. You want to carry BoBo Jenkins as a 13th forward or on an AHL and dress him twice a year against WSH to send a message, fine, whatever, but I have no interest in trying to ice a full-time deterrent because there isn’t one. Wilson sits a full season without pay, he may learn. Wilson gets a broken jaw he’s still coming back and doing the same things.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Correct, that would be a roster building strategy that would not handicap the team with less talent.

Emotion from the players and even coaching in the games, great. Emotions involved in how Rangers management builds a team leads to bad choices.

Reactions: LokiDog

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
That's like the blandest f***ing answer ever ... sick and tired of Q.

He's still learning himself about the NHL, how is he gonna teach the kids something new?

Seriously ... we won't do shit on Wednesday.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
It’s the same response the team had when Eakin drilled lundqvist. Idk how as a teammate you can watch your star player be taken out and do nothing.

last night was the same thing, we did nothing. He should have been jumped after he scored his ENG.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Wilson’s just a garbage person you can’t change him he is what he is just get him out of the league before he ends someone’s career.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It’s an organized sporting event. In life I agree with you. In the NHL the only thing that is going to address or prevent what Wilson did is the NHL, and the only way they’re going to do that is to threaten his livelihood. Short of putting him in the ICU, Wilson isn’t going to stop being Wilson because he lost a fight or got laid out. And dressing guys just for the purpose of doing that kind of damage doesn’t win hockey games. You want to carry BoBo Jenkins as a 13th forward or on an AHL and dress him twice a year against WSH to send a message, fine, whatever, but I have no interest in trying to ice a full-time deterrent because there isn’t one. Wilson sits a full season without pay, he may learn. Wilson gets a broken jaw he’s still coming back and doing the same things.

I don't want Bobo Jenkins as the 13th forward, I want them to call up someone like Geertsen for tomorrow's game and I want him to hurt Wilson. Or at the very least, prevent him from skating around looking to rip Zib's or Laff's head off. I agree with you that ultimately the only thing that's going to stop Wilson is the league but we've seen they have no interest in doing that. So it's up to the team. They need to respond. I'm curious though, does Wilson act like Wilson when he plays the Islanders and Martin is in the lineup?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

You though the team protected each other? In what way? After the incident no one did a damn thing.

f*** this soft shit mentality. That is yet another pathetic response.

Obviously the best way to protect one another was to make sure no one went near the opponent’s net again.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What Quinn is saying is 100% true. Who on this roster is a physical threat? Brendan Smith? Rooney?

But if that statement was actually formulated with insight from the room and leadership, can't say I'd be surprised that that is the position espoused by the "leaders" on the team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What Quinn is saying is 100% true. Who on this roster is a physical threat? Brendan Smith? Rooney?

But if that statement was actually formulated with insight from the room and leadership, can't say I'd be surprised that that is the position espoused by the "leaders" on the team.

People know it, but I don't think it's the kind of thing you say directly to the media.

But both Strome and Quinn did, so clearly it's a shared message that we aren't going to participate in buffoonery.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don't want Bobo Jenkins as the 13th forward, I want them to call up someone like Geertsen for tomorrow's game and I want him to hurt Wilson. Or at the very least, prevent him from skating around looking to rip Zib's or Laff's head off. I agree with you that ultimately the only thing that's going to stop Wilson is the league but we've seen they have no interest in doing that. So it's up to the team. They need to respond. I'm curious though, does Wilson act like Wilson when he plays the Islanders and Martin is in the lineup?

He does. Wilson does this to every team. Reaves has popped him hard a few times and he does it against the Knights. He does it against the Islanders. Does he have an episode like last night every game? Obviously not, he doesn’t go that volcanic on us every game. But he’s the same weasel regardless of who the deterrent is and it seems he misses more games to suspensions than injuries regardless of who is out there to stop him.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

You though the team protected each other? In what way? After the incident no one did a damn thing.

f*** this soft shit mentality. That is yet another pathetic response.

Should he have sent out Fox, Kakko, maybe Kravtsov to get their brains beaten out? Smith was the only guy halfway capable of doing anything. He also said that the team wasn't built to brawl, and he's correct. You need a hobby.

Reactions: Chytilmania

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, this season is already lost. Want to call up Geertsen to send a message? Fine by me.

But if you want to address this, you have to find the next Matthew Tkachuk. The next Wayne Simmonds.

Man, prime Wayne Simmonds would fit this team like a glove. Finding the next Wayne Simmonds and not the next Brendan Lemieux will be the difference between this team winning it all and coming up short
I saw a clip of Simmonds fighting Wilson on twitter today but I don't remember who posted it, was it you?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He does. Wilson does this to every team. Reaves has popped him hard a few times and he does it against the Knights. He does it against the Islanders. Does he have an episode like last night every game? Obviously not, he doesn’t go that volcanic on us every game. But he’s the same weasel regardless of who the deterrent is and it seems he misses more games to suspensions than injuries regardless of who is out there to stop him.

They still need to respond, you can't have your star get abused like that.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So I was taking a gander to see where our goaltending was at compared to the league average in the NHL and found this- the NHL average save percentage, which had climbed steadily from .901 in 2005 to .915 in 2015, has now steadily started to go back down, culminating in a .908 this year.

Any good theories why this is?

NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I saw a clip of Simmonds fighting Wilson on twitter today but I don't remember who posted it, was it you?

200.gif

Reactions: NYR94

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So I was taking a gander to see where our goaltending was at compared to the league average in the NHL and found this- the NHL average save percentage, which had climbed steadily from .901 in 2005 to .915 in 2015, has now steadily started to go back down, culminating in a .908 this year.

Any good theories why this is?

NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor McJesus :sarcasm:

Apr 10, 2012
People know it, but I don't think it's the kind of thing you say directly to the media.

But both Strome and Quinn did, so clearly it's a shared message that we aren't going to participate in buffoonery.
He also mentioned the discussion of lineup changes. I don't think seeing
AUSTIN RUESCHHOFF

and/or
MASON GEERTSEN

is off the table. We could answer by scoring goals, but having somebody who can specifically step up if something happens isn't unreasonable in a game we don't need to win.

Guys need to finish checks, too... but doing nothing isn't an acceptable answer tomorrow night. You need to do something, even if only for show, or you lose all credibility going forward.

This team would be a whole different matchup if we just finished our checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->