Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Why does it have to be either "4 effective lines" or a "team of goons"? What does "4 effective lines" even mean? We don't have that now so why is that an argument against anything?

No one in the league anymore is a goon. People have to let that go. There are no players in this league, outside of short callups(like that Gabriel kid in San Jose), that do nothing but fight. That time is over. And when people bring up the idea of adding grittier players to the lineup, dismissing them with the "toffness" argument is disingenuous.

The Rangers can add tough players and still be a skilled team. It doesn't have to be one or the other. There are plenty on the market this summer and the Rangers should absolutely try to sign and/or acquire some.

Also, if anyone is trashing Reaves as a player they don't watch the Knights. But that's beside the point, too, cause it doesn't just have to be Reaves since Vegas likely wont trade him. Foligno, Simmonds, Chara, Getzlaf, Sutter, Jordie Benn(But maybe Jamie for cheap too if Dallas is gonna change it up?), Luke Schenn, Gudbranson. All these players can still play, bring an element we lack and will probably be cheap money wise and short term length wise. It seems foolish to believe all the players on the team need to be one way and that we can't possibly be both skilled and tough. Fast and heavy.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
oh stop with the pompous European attitude. You’re the most sensitive person here when challenged. Add some grit to your game.

:laugh: Okay dude. I keep saying we need to add players who bring a physical element and help us win, and all you hear is "We don't need grit". Don't know how else to explain to you what I mean.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Tom W

Apr 8, 2021
I know Miller is a rookie, he came with a reputation of being physical player who is nasty around the net. I'm sorry ,he has skill but being physical is not one of them. Last night a Cap scores a goal he is standing next to the net the guy just pushes him out of the way, zero response. Caps score again, player is standing right over Shetty f***ing with him, whose standing next to that player Miller does nothing. This guy plays a very soft game.

Reactions: leetch99

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I know Miller is a rookie, he came with a reputation of being physical player who is nasty around the net. I'm sorry ,he has skill but being physical is not one of them. Last night a Cap scores a goal he is standing next to the net the guy just pushes him out of the way, zero response. Caps score again, player is standing right over Shetty f***ing with him, whose standing next to that player Miller does nothing. This guy plays a very soft game.

Agreed. He's going to be good imo but he got overrated really quick.

Also your username is bothering me haha

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Add someone who brings that physical element AND helps you win games. Not a goon like Mason Geertsen who will be exposed every time he's on the ice.

It's not rocket science.
I dunno....but with regard to exposure....Buch and Breadman looked kind of exposed when both were laid out on the ice last night and assaulted. Being exposed a few times in Wednesday night's game should not be a huge deal LOL....I for sure won't lose any sleep over it . In fact...I would even have Geertsen take the draw if it was Backstrom .

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Rangers love those big soft giants. its sickening.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I dunno....but with regard to exposure....Buch and Breadman looked kind of exposed when both were laid out on the ice last night and assaulted. Being exposed a few times in Wednesday night's game should not be a huge deal LOL....I for sure won't lose any sleep over it . In fact...I would even have Geertsen take the draw if it was Backstrom .

You're not winning a Cup playing with essentially 11 forwards.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You're not winning a Cup playing with essentially 11 forwards.
It would be nice to get to a Cup or the playoffs though with 11 forwards......LOL....I was kind of leaning towards sending a message in that last message, for the next few games that we should target some skilled guys on the other clubs ....not break legs...just make for some misery .

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Julien Gauthier is the same size as Tom Wilson, but 30 pounds heavier. His f'n father and grandfather were professional wrestlers. Theoretically, he'd be the perfect guy to stand up to Wilson and be that Matt Martin/Josh Anderson-type of player that we need. He's also extremely fast on the ice.

Ugh, he's such a frustrating player.
He needs to be on the ice. :dunno:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It would be nice to get to a Cup or the playoffs though with 11 forwards......LOL....I was kind of leaning towards sending a message in that last message, for the next few games that we should target some skilled guys on the other clubs ....not break legs...just make for some misery .

Yeah, this season is already lost. Want to call up Geertsen to send a message? Fine by me.

But if you want to address this, you have to find the next Matthew Tkachuk. The next Wayne Simmonds.

Man, prime Wayne Simmonds would fit this team like a glove. Finding the next Wayne Simmonds and not the next Brendan Lemieux will be the difference between this team winning it all and coming up short

Reactions: leetch99

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
After last night, talking about getting a player that will be able to bring some of that edge to the Rangers, my target this offseason is Cedric Paquette. His numbers in Ottawa were brutal, he didn't want to be there. Since he's been in Carolina, it is much better. Can play center or wing, perfect fit for the 4th line. He can hit, be physical, but he is a strong skater and isn't going to take shit on the ice. He's also a solid player overall and is a penalty killer, so potentially replacing Rooney as the 4C isn't an issue.

In terms of upgrading the 4th line and becoming tougher to play against, this is my #1 target this offseason. Guys like Coleman and Goodrow are going to cost a decent amount since they have gotten the publicity as being big pieces added by Tampa to win a cup. Paquette was a guy that was there the entire time and was impactful as well.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The NHL needing to do it’s job in protecting the rest of the league from an animal and the Rangers needing to round out their physical game are two entirely separate issues.
Exactly.

The Rangers have holes in their roster, no doubt about that.

Nobody goes after Wilson just like nobody goes after Marchand. Because it's pointless. You take a penalty and then he just does it again. Ryan Reaves laid him the f*** out, did it stop him?

We should be adding good players with an edge, absolutely. Trying to respond to Wilson from a roster building standpoint is just going to lead to another lazy oaf who has two fights like Lemieux, Glass, McLeod, Haley...need I go on?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
After last night, talking about getting a player that will be able to bring some of that edge to the Rangers, my target this offseason is Cedric Paquette. His numbers in Ottawa were brutal, he didn't want to be there. Since he's been in Carolina, it is much better. Can play center or wing, perfect fit for the 4th line. He can hit, be physical, but he is a strong skater and isn't going to take shit on the ice. He's also a solid player overall and is a penalty killer, so potentially replacing Rooney as the 4C isn't an issue.

In terms of upgrading the 4th line and becoming tougher to play against, this is my #1 target this offseason. Guys like Coleman and Goodrow are going to cost a decent amount since they have gotten the publicity as being big pieces added by Tampa to win a cup. Paquette was a guy that was there the entire time and was impactful as well.

Rangers should have went after Rousell a few years ago. he is another guy that plays with an edge an can play 15 mins a night.. if the Canucks wanna dump salary, cap hit of 3.0 for next season than UFA.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The team isn’t in the same universe yet, but I think we all recognize that some 93/94 type trades are in the cards.

James Patrick and Darren Turcotte for Steve Larmer and Nick Kypreos. Larmer is easily the most underrated piece of that Cup team. I have no idea who a modern day equivalent would be but give me a team full of Larmers all day long. In fact, adult Lafreniere might be an awful lot like him.

Tony Amonte for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan. A hugely controversial trade of course. Amonte was 23 years old at the time. Noonan was five years older, Matteau about a year and a half.

Does the inevitable Buchnevich trade end up looking like this one? If so, it’ll be much more palatable given the ridiculous youthful wing depth the team will have after moving Buch unlike the post Amonte situation.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think this idea of adding one tough player to be our nuclear deterrent or change the identity of the team is ridiculous.

You want a hard nosed 4th line that can skate, forecheck and cycle. The 4th line ideally is giving your team a rest by pinning the other team for a bit, wearing them down, working the walls. If they can chip in 25 goals as a line (over 82 games) that’s a successful 4th line. We don’t have that, that’s for sure.

But we’re also going to need a 2 or 3 center who wins draws, is what people call a two way player and is very responsible. Doesn’t need to be super physical, but should be difficult to play against. A Danault fits the bill. Mika is good defensively but he plays too much to be super effective as a matchup guy.

You also need at least one of your top nine wingers to be willing to bang bodies and forecheck hard. Again, doesn’t have to be super physical but has to choose to take the body when forechecking rather than doing the stick fly-by. With Kreider playing like he’s 5’10, we don’t have any one to play this role and we have a full top nine worth of wingers: Bread, Laf, Kreider on the left, Buch, KK, Krav on the right. There’s gotta be a Rust or Fast or Hyman or Tkachuk type somewhere.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think this idea of adding one tough player to be our nuclear deterrent or change the identity of the team is ridiculous.

You want a hard nosed 4th line that can skate, forecheck and cycle. The 4th line ideally is giving your team a rest by pinning the other team for a bit, wearing them down, working the walls. If they can chip in 25 goals as a line (over 82 games) that’s a successful 4th line. We don’t have that, that’s for sure.

But we’re also going to need a 2 or 3 center who wins draws, is what people call a two way player and is very responsible. Doesn’t need to be super physical, but should be difficult to play against. A Danault fits the bill. Mika is good defensively but he plays too much to be super effective as a matchup guy.

You also need at least one of your top nine wingers to be willing to bang bodies and forecheck hard. Again, doesn’t have to be super physical but has to choose to take the body when forechecking rather than doing the stick fly-by. With Kreider playing like he’s 5’10, we don’t have any one to play this role and we have a full top nine worth of wingers: Bread, Laf, Kreider on the left, Buch, KK, Krav on the right. There’s gotta be a Rust or Fast or Hyman or Tkachuk type somewhere.
Still think Gauthier has potential if they actually let him take a shift.

1st on the Rangers in hits per 60 and 3rd in disrupted zone exists per 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->