Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIV: Less than 24 hours till draft time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Looks like I took a good day to clear my mind...

Domi was redundant in Montreal. Anderson is a high risk, high reward play. I actually like the trade for both sides.

Heard on NHL radio Virtanen has not yet been qualified either. He is presumably part of the Canucks offer for OEL. He could also be cut loose tomorrow.

Strome likely has a one year contract offer in hand from the Rangers. If they don't make a deal, he could be very well cut loose. Cost certainty.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think they're worried about arbitration.
If the walk away number is 4.5, could the Rangers offer 4.6; since Strome going to come in high and the arb number will be in the middle? It can’t be that easy right?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
From Custance Via the athletic

" With the deadline to qualify restricted free agents closing in (5 p.m., Wednesday), this continues to be a situation to watch. One especially interesting situation is in New York where, as of Tuesday afternoon, multiple sources confirmed that Ryan Strome still hasn’t received a qualifying offer from the Rangers. That could obviously change at any moment but the Rangers have already extended a QO to defenseman Tony DeAngelo. “That’s not necessarily unusual,” said one source. Despite their recent moves to clear space, the Rangers are tight against the cap and may be considering all options here."

What I'm hearing about the NHL offseason 2.0: Stamkos, Strome, Toffoli and more
I guess the Rangers are thinking the free agent market might get pretty tame beyond the top guys.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yeah, that's the risk. They give him the QO, he elects arbitration, and the award is less than the minimum value required to be able to walk away (I think it's anything less than $4.6m the team couldn't walk). The team is then on the hook for his cap hit and it could put them in a bind.

There aren't many advantages to shopping him without a QO since his rights will expire tomorrow no matter what team he's on without that QO or a new contract in hand.

Agreed. Just cant wrap my mind around opening up a hole like that a C. Who is going to be a better option than Strome at around~$4M? I guess "someone".

Reactions: NYRangers16

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
If that was Fast's ask, he'd already be extended, IMO.

Not necessarily. Rangers don't have a lot of space when you take potential bonuses into account. I still don't see how Fast would get much more than 3 mil per in a flat cap world when there should be a lot of bottom 6 guys available. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad