Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIV: Less than 24 hours till draft time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Is there a benefit to shopping him (if they are) without a QO? Otherwise, is the risk that if they extend the QO that they'll end up in arbitration and they don't believe that whatever the arbiter awards will be worth it?

I mean, I can see that. Strome might never duplicate the year he had last year. Likely he won't. However, the Rangers really don't have a list of alternatives.

Yeah, that's the risk. They give him the QO, he elects arbitration, and the award is less than the minimum value required to be able to walk away (I think it's anything less than $4.6m the team couldn't walk). The team is then on the hook for his cap hit and it could put them in a bind.

There aren't many advantages to shopping him without a QO since his rights will expire tomorrow no matter what team he's on without that QO or a new contract in hand.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You think he's getting 3.5/4M per with term, or something like that? I'd be surprised if that's what he gets. I guess we'll see.

I think he'll probably get ~$3m per. As much as I love him as a player, I think we can find a replacement for what Fast does defensively for half that. With Kakko/Buch/Gauthier/Kravtsov in the fold, Fast would likely be relegated to 4th line duties, and you just can't spend 3m+ on 4th liners. That's something I hope Lemieux is aware of as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Do the Rangers - basically - look at Strome as a free agent? Or as their guy? I know that’s a subjective question. But my impression was that RFAs are basically signed guys but the contract is worked out later.
But it seems like - and maybe this is a totally new paradigm due to the flat cap - teams have changed the way they approach RFAs.

Pretty fair take - more like the question is whether it wise to spend this money on Strome or elsewhere based on what market shakes out with buyouts and other unsigned RFAs (in addition to known UFAs)?

Reactions: egelband

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’d really like to see someone like Gaudreau moved out of left field. Give us something.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I liked Prust too, but letting him go to MTL was the right call. Guys like Fast has a life expectancy. We need someone that can provide what Fast provides, for the coming 6-10 years.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
maybe the Rangers know something we don't about RFAs not being qualified and there's gonna be a smorgasboard of depth options that's gonna dry up Strome's market

is there an RFA list?

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hagelin was a big loss but the right move. Same for fast. I’d also say the same about Prust. All 3 made their teams better and had unique skills.
Yep. As with most things, it’s not clear cut. Depends on what the Rangers do next. Depends on so many things.
Safe to say we’d miss Fast, though, because he’s our guy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
From Custance Via the athletic

" With the deadline to qualify restricted free agents closing in (5 p.m., Wednesday), this continues to be a situation to watch. One especially interesting situation is in New York where, as of Tuesday afternoon, multiple sources confirmed that Ryan Strome still hasn’t received a qualifying offer from the Rangers. That could obviously change at any moment but the Rangers have already extended a QO to defenseman Tony DeAngelo. “That’s not necessarily unusual,” said one source. Despite their recent moves to clear space, the Rangers are tight against the cap and may be considering all options here."

What I'm hearing about the NHL offseason 2.0: Stamkos, Strome, Toffoli and more

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d wager a bet you’d be able to tell the difference between me and Jeff Gorton

if the amount of times I bring up Mahomes drops you’ll know
What if the plan all along was to foster mankind's greatest athlete in the NFL and then he signs with the Rangers at 30 as a center and breaks Gretzky's records?

Gorton/Bozle playing the long game.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
maybe the Rangers know something we don't about RFAs not being qualified and there's gonna be a smorgasboard of depth options that's gonna dry up Strome's market

is there an RFA list?

I believe Strome is the really noteworthy unqualified RFA. Some depth guys like Hinostroza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->