Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIV: Less than 24 hours till draft time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
I think we are gonna miss Fast,

wondering if Artemi said..."strome, fast, c'mon...wtf, i can put up 150f" I kid.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Deafening silence on that subject right now.
Do the Rangers - basically - look at Strome as a free agent? Or as their guy? I know that’s a subjective question. But my impression was that RFAs are basically signed guys but the contract is worked out later.
But it seems like - and maybe this is a totally new paradigm due to the flat cap - teams have changed the way they approach RFAs.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If Anderson gets healthy enough to be in the lineup on the reg, this is a win for Montreal. I don't love Domi as a player really. When Anderson was healthy he had a very good season. Significantly more usable in the playoffs as well. This trade is more of an indictment of Max Domi's reptutation as a C around the league. Maybe he needs to become a winger?
Yeah. It’s quite possible MB simply sees more in Anderson than others. We’ve been talking about how JG is willing to overpay for his guys. Maybe Anderson is MB’s guy.
As always, it’s tough to judge a trade immediately.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Do the Rangers - basically - look at Strome as a free agent? Or as their guy? I know that’s a subjective question. But my impression was that RFAs are basically signed guys but the contract is worked out later.
But it seems like - and maybe this is a totally new paradigm due to the flat cap - teams have changed the way they approach RFAs.

I think they're worried about arbitration.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Is there a benefit to shopping him (if they are) without a QO? Otherwise, is the risk that if they extend the QO that they'll end up in arbitration and they don't believe that whatever the arbiter awards will be worth it?

I mean, I can see that. Strome might never duplicate the year he had last year. Likely he won't. However, the Rangers really don't have a list of alternatives.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I have Buchnevich home, probably won’t go with Panarin because I have a blank Russia WCH jersey that I can get Panarin put on. If they extend DeAngelo I’ll be getting him in Away, but I wish we had an alternate like the liberty

I had a Richter white, and a Pat Lafontaine Liberty in my teens. I miss the liberty jersey a ton. Also went through an Avery white, Zucc Stadium Series, and now have a Kakko Finland(Blue) jersey.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Panarin is going to miss Fast as are the Rangers. Not sure what the thinking is here if true.
Fast is maybe my favorite player on the team right now, but we cannot allocate 3 million to a player whose output is best suited to the bottom-six/special teams. We have been there and done that with Grabner and Hagelin. Sometimes doing the right thing long-term for the roster hurts the roster in the short term.

I'll be happy for Fast that he gets his payday. I dont know if anyone on the team deserves it more than him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

We continue down the path of the whole "the boards don't exist" roster building philosophy.

I know the boards are pretty split, but i’m glad we are moving on from him instead of giving him a large deal.

Defensive forwards aren’t that difficult to find via ufa or in the pipeline. Plus I always thought his defense was a tad overrated but that’s just my two cents worth nothing.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I think they're worried about arbitration.

This was my thought as well. If the trade offers aren't there today, they aren't going to be there after he's issued a QO unless there's a team that 1) doesn't want to get into a UFA bidding war and 2) wants to sign him to a long-term deal. Stome kind of holds those cards though, because he can just sign the QO and become a UFA next offseason if he doesn't want to stay with the team that trades for him. It really limits their flexibility...

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad