Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BBKers, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Lindberg Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Logistically I still don’t see a way Zibanejad and Eichel can both be on this team. Unless you’re banking on the cap going up significantly within the next two years (which the last time people thought that the Rangers ended up with a 7 million dollar 3rd line winger till he’s 35)

Chalfdiggity3 and fm like this.
  2. I Eat Crow Fear The Mullet

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Spot on.

The Rangers don't need the agitator/clown du jour to be effective. There's a difference between going out and getting a clown like Zac Rinaldo that can't play a shift to dress just 6 times a year to fight Tom Wilson, and making a ballsy trade to go out and get someone like, I don't know, Radek Faksa from Dallas that would check off a lot of boxes to make the team tougher to play against.

Good on faceoffs. Elite forechecker. Not a goon. Can contribute on the score sheet in a middle six/3rd line role. Cirelli is in the same exact mold but he has the Tampa supporting cast propping him up offensively and making him look better than he is. Go out and get me Faksa, even if it means overpaying a bit. Dallas would be right to ask for a premium for him, but he does have a modified NMC kicking in this summer...

HatTrick Swayze likes this.
  3. rangers1314 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Quinn is out, larry just tweeted

4. BBKers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Free as a bird

Well well well.

5. mas0764 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think it means he got to areas on the ice and produced shots/attempts that in average situations generate goals X% of the time. The red on the map indicates his production of shots/attempts that have that likelihood of going in better than the average player, the blue indicates worse than the average player.

I think what the chart should be telling you is that Eichel is in good position, is generating shots and chances, and is having a positive impact on scoring chances in all those red spots. If he didn't score much it's telling you more that he was unlucky or his teammates were not very good.

There are charts that will show the same thing for Kakko. Despite similar scoring numbers in both his first two years, his charts indicate he was way better this year, especially in the defensive version of those charts (which show shot suppression, meaning the player is having an impact on the defense).

You can balk at the worthiness of these charts but they are not subjective. They say "When a player gets to the slot and puts a shot on goal, he scores X percent of the time, this is a high danger area," and then it says "And Eichel got there and put a shot on goal more than average which is why the map is red for him in that spot." It's simple counting, not interpretation.

Livingstone likes this.
  6. Fvital92 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Municipal Attoney at City Hall of Campinas - SP
    I will miss Jacques Martin, he was really good for us this season.

7. mas0764 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not surprising. The team's underachieving was just as much his fault, more, I'd say.

I would have given him another year given the names out there but I wouldn't have fired Gorton and JD either.

8. Crease Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Benoit Allaire has a job for life.

9. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The list of facts you supplied to backup this opinion are being displayed in white font, please edit the post so we can see the supporting information...

10. Edge Kris King's Ghost

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There's a lot truth here.

Everyone loves the highlight reels, it's what comes between those reels that often drives people crazy. And you either learn to accept it and live with it, or you find yourself forever chasing the unicorn.

That somewhat leads me to my next point: there is a very real possibility that some of this team's next moves are not of the 1-for-1 variety. We very well could see trades that are two for one --- with us coming away with the less "skilled" or "offensive" player in the deal.

Let's use Strome and Buch as examples.

The fantasy is that you turn them into a top young player, or a high-end power forward. That's certainly possible.

But it's also likely that we're talking about a third line center, a LD, a couple of bottom six forwards. In other words, turning two players into four players, promoting Chytil, Kakko and Kravstov, and shoring up some of the less glamorous roles.

TheDirtyH and HatTrick Swayze like this.
  11. mas0764 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Preach it.

CHRDANHUTCH likes this.
  12. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    so plug a hole by trading him and open a hole that we are filling how in the short term? signing who, or is hajek getting paired with trouba? think things out better...

NYRangers16 likes this.
  13. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This underlines why you dont need a tough player or a couple tough players, you need a tough team mentality and we have been anything but except for the 1st period of the washington game...

14. Fitzy Very Stable Genius

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Panarin, Strome, Zibanejad are never going to be guys that finish checks rather than try to win the puck with their sticks.

The difference is guys who COULD play more physical, who currently do not. Guys like Rooney, Miller, Gauthier, Chytil, Kreider- they could play a simpler more Tortorella style game.

I don't need to see Kevin Rooney and Phil Di Giuseppe on the 4th line doing drop passes like they are Panarin and Strome. I saw that way too much this season. Get the puck deep and get in front of the net.

15. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This would actually be horrible. If eichel comes here strome is gone and then you get your harder nosed center to slot behind those two, not three offensive finesse centers...

16. Fitzy Very Stable Genius

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The only alternative I could see working there is if Strome shifted to right wing, assuming Buchnevich is included in an Eichel deal.

Then you'd have Lafreniere-Zib-Kakko and Panarin-Eichel-Strome.

But it's very finesse, as you noted.

17. Faceless Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Great post. Although I do think our 4th line when we went the finals kind of epitomizes what I'd like to see. They were gritty, with an element of nasty. That mixture of Boyle, Dorsett, Carcillo and Moore was one of the huge reasons we made a deep run that year.

Chalfdiggity3 likes this.
  18. Ruggs225 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    what hole. Miller was god awful half the year. You can sign a FA on a 1 or two year deal. Plus Jones could step in. Maybe even robertson.

the hole that would be created is imaginary. The hole is his potential. Not his actual play.

and in all honesty Miller should play next year in the AHL or at least start there so your “hole” still exists.

19. Fitzy Very Stable Genius

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    One of these things is not like the others...

20. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    he literally played w trouba almost the entire season in a top 4 role. stop playing stupid...

NYRangers16 likes this.
  21. Ruggs225 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yes he did. But he didnt play well. Start acknowledging that trouba carried his ass.

we had no alternatives so he played.

blackwell played on the first line for a big part of the season, is he a first liner.

just because Miller played in top 4 doesnt mean he played like a top 4 dman. He didnt.
    Not saying he wont in the future, but he struggled mightily after his great start.

22. Guyute Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Brett Howden, we hardly knew yeee

Just kidding we knew you too well. Good luck in Seattle.

bleedblue94 likes this.
  23. KooKoo4Kakko Fire Quinn.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Any chance we see Tony back since JG, JD and DQ are gone?

It seems to me there is a chance it can happen if we trade a prospect or two from our defensive pool.

24. Avery16 Shake my hand, fatso

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Guess those exit interviews were enlightening

25. bleedblue94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    he was very good the first half and struggled the second, that is exactly what happens to almost every first year pro out of college.

jones will most likely go through the same thing next year with a full season of the pro grind versus just stepping in at the end of the season.

NYRangers16 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.