Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Also, is nobody concerned that Calgary is willing to move him despite him being great on paper? The guys are sick of his antics supposedly, we have a weak room without adequate leadership - were going to bring in a guy who’s current team is willing to lose his talent because he’s such a pain?

Sounds very familiar for us.

Reactions: haveandare

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
L.A. needs a 1RW. On the Kings boards, fans seem open to trading Turcotte to Buffalo for Reinhart. If Buch is a goner anyway, does something like Buch for Turcotte work? I'm not great at trade value so I'm not sure who adds if anyone, but both teams fill a need while dealing from a position of strength.

Reinhart has more control, while Buch has 1 year left until UFA. I think the idea of getting a top prospect center in a trade is all but dead. They want to improve the roster as is right now. I'd like to see a move where they get a center that can come in when Strome's deal is up and fill in a 3C role with Chytil moving up, but I think it is less and less likely.

On top of that, at some point I expect them to roll with Barron at center. In his limited time, I saw a player that can keep up with the NHL pace and is in good position. In the AHL, he was doing a lot of the same, but his offense was above that league. If the AHL started when the NHL did, he is on the roster much earlier than he was. He's going to force his way onto the NHL roster next season, especially being able to have a regular camp and preseason.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
So I ask again, who are we getting? What is the cost for that player? There are no legit top pair dmen on the UFA market, so that means trading significant assets to acquire one, which would be a huge mistake, especially if we only want that player for a limited time.

The smarter move is to sign a UFA to a short term deal, or trade for an older player who has limited term left. 2 years max. He doesn't need to be top pair, just better/more reliable than Smith. A guy we can trust to play on the 3rd pair, but with the experience to move up if necessary. Guys like Cole or Martinez, perhaps.

I see what you're saying, I'm really just talking high level. I don't have a guy in mind right now.

I'm just saying that with the resources we have available to us right now, be it cap space/young players, I'd be more focused on using those assets to address our LHD (and center) than I would adding a winger who's a year away from needing a mega deal. That's really my point.

A lot can change in 2/3 years, if you trade for a LHD who has a few years of control left, you can in theory move along from Lindgren before resigning that player. I think we all agree that we don't want anything to do with Lindgren contract #3.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
It is amazing how many people are now okay with trading Miller bc he hit the same wall that just about EVERY college player hits in their first pro season. The kid has natural gifts that you cant teach and is going to be an absolute rock in a top 4 in a couple seasons.
It’s bizarre but not surprising here. Same posters will be ranting on the GM if he turns into a superstar elsewhere.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It’s bizarre but not surprising here. Same posters will be ranting on the GM if he turns into a superstar elsewhere.
and a lot of those posters are the same ones that said they could stay patient for the growing pains of young players through a rebuild.

Oooooooh the irony...

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Eichel is pursuing artificial disk replacement? Stay far away. He gets paid $10 million through 25-26 and his neck is going to prevent him from being an effective player that can stay in the lineup.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I can see the Drury offering Briere Director of Player Development + GM of Hartford (AHL). He's currently running day-to-day ops in Portland (ECHL).
uh, Briere also is not Rangers property..... who owns Portland..... Philadelphia, Crease.

Briere's already President of the ECHL franchise, GM IS A DEMOTION.... Similiar to what the Rangers did by first promoting Drury to Associate GM , then the removal of JD/JG and then Drury's promotion to Rangers President/GM.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Reinhart has more control, while Buch has 1 year left until UFA. I think the idea of getting a top prospect center in a trade is all but dead. They want to improve the roster as is right now. I'd like to see a move where they get a center that can come in when Strome's deal is up and fill in a 3C role with Chytil moving up, but I think it is less and less likely.

On top of that, at some point I expect them to roll with Barron at center. In his limited time, I saw a player that can keep up with the NHL pace and is in good position. In the AHL, he was doing a lot of the same, but his offense was above that league. If the AHL started when the NHL did, he is on the roster much earlier than he was. He's going to force his way onto the NHL roster next season, especially being able to have a regular camp and preseason.

This is incorrect. Both Buch and Reinhart's contracts expire at the end of the 20 - 21 season and both are RFA's (according to CapFriendly) Buch currently makes $3.25M, Reinhart is at $5.2M

Reactions: Off Sides

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eichel is pursuing artificial disk replacement? Stay far away. He gets paid $10 million through 25-26 and his neck is going to prevent him from being an effective player that can stay in the lineup.

Well, we don't know for a fact that it will, but it's the uncertainty that should and hopefully will lower team's interest and his value.

Crosby had that whole situation with the broken vertebra right up in his brain stem that could have been fatal.

I just think if NYR were so caddy about extending Zibby in part because of his health and versatility, then why would Eichel be the key target?

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
It is amazing how many people are now okay with trading Miller bc he hit the same wall that just about EVERY college player hits in their first pro season. The kid has natural gifts that you cant teach and is going to be an absolute rock in a top 4 in a couple seasons.

nobody wants to trade miller for the sake of trading miller. But rather miller holds alot of value so we could theoretically plug another gaping hole by trading him. Especially if its for a big name center. Add to the fact that we still we still have jones and robertson to compete for the 2LD spot and its not a huge loss to our dept there.

robertson and Jones does not have the value of miller. So a trade using them as centerpieces would need the rangers to add more assets.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
uh, Briere also is not Rangers property..... who owns Portland..... Philadelphia, Crease.

Briere's already President of the ECHL franchise, GM IS A DEMOTION.... Similiar to what the Rangers did by first promoting Drury to Associate GM , then the removal of JD/JG and then Drury's promotion to Rangers President/GM.

I know Comcast owns the Portland ECHL franchise. Briere doesn't need to be "Rangers property" in order for Drury to extend him a job offer.

Also, director of player development of an NHL franchise and general manager of an AHL franchise would be a step up from Briere's current gig, if Briere's ultimate goal is to run an NHL franchise.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think people understand how deadly and poised for a cup run this team would be if they added veterans and managed to roll

Eichel
Zibanejad
Strome
Barron

down the middle.

For how many seasons? Because if it's more than just next year you better find a way to make Kreider disappear, or else you're going to have Keith Kinkaid as a starting goalie.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Briere doesn't need to be "Rangers property" in order for Drury to make him a job offer.

Also, director of player development of an NHL franchise and president/general manager of an AHL franchise would be an improvement over Briere's current gig, imo.
Freidman mentioned yesterday in 31T that there is a high level of interest around the league to come work for Drury. It sounds like he may have his pick of the litter in terms of filling these spots.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
A lot can change in 2/3 years, if you trade for a LHD who has a few years of control left, you can in theory move along from Lindgren before resigning that player. I think we all agree that we don't want anything to do with Lindgren contract #3.

I wouldn't say that at this point. He's not ever likely to score a lot of points, so his earning potential will be limited. And given the rugged style he plays, I think the team would be hesitant to give him a long term deal. As you said, a lot can change in 2-3 years, but his next contract could end up being another 3 year deal at like 5 mil per.

Either way, that's a concern for down the road. Ideally, we have a player like Robertson make Lindgren expendable, with other players coming up behind him. I'd rather have a steady pipeline of cheap replacements than add an expensive vet because we are worried about Lindgren's contract 3 years from now.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Either way, that's a concern for down the road. Ideally, we have a player like Robertson make Lindgren expendable, with other players coming up behind him. I'd rather have a steady pipeline of cheap replacements than add an expensive vet because we are worried about Lindgren's contract 3 years from now.

I agree with this. He doesn't get talked about nearly enough around here.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Briere doesn't need to be "Rangers property" in order for Drury to extend him a job offer.

Also, director of player development of an NHL franchise and general manager of an AHL franchise would be a step up from Briere's current gig, if Briere's ultimate goal is to run an NHL franchise.
NOPE, sorry...Briere passes...

the only reason the Rangers are the affiliate here is Spectra has Hartford...... that's why Philadelphia isn't here instead of Allentown or Reading due to existing contracts.... even DPD is a downgrade from team president.

in fact, ECHL coaches and executives double up jobs....no matter who actually owns or operates a franchise...

as an exam ple, Crease.

Riley Armstrong is the head coach/AGM here in Portland.... Briere actually has the same exact titles here that Drury has with the Rangers

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think more people are in love with what they think Tkachuk is rather than would actually love him if he were here. He is essentially kreider mixed with avery and add a little bit more skill. He is way more sideshow than he is actual toughness. He would do NOTHING to actually have changed what happened here at the end of the season besides just adding more theatrics.

Also, people saying he is "exactly what we need" are out to lunch bc this team does not "exactly need" another high priced winger when we are already basically pushing buch out the door bc we cant afford to pay him. You invest in MT and bring him here than I hope you're happy with absolute dog shit centers going forward bc you people cant sit here and say we cant afford buch's new contract (6mil WORST case) bc we need center upgrades but then try to justify MT at a 7mil aav that requires a 9mil qualifying offer after next season. It just doesn't work and you're being hypocritical...
You know, lest be honest, this applies to the majority of tough players this board loves.

Tom Wilson has been invisible in more games against the Rangers than he's done something nuts.

When Lucic was the terminator of the NHL he was also a huge floater and it drove the Bruins board insane

Matthew Tkachuk is way more of a clown than a hard nosed player. That's fun until it isn't. Anyone who's played on a team with someone like that knows that it gets grating fast.

Josh Anderson has 1 point in his last 15 games and is signed for 6 more years.

This board couldn't wait to run Dubinsky out of town besides being a heart and soul guy because his stretches of trying to play like Jagr made him really hard to like at times

The Islanders 4th line is just the worst example though. All shit defensive players. All shit offensive players. Bring absolutely no value but hitting but the penis envy this board has for them would make you think they single handedly win games.

Some of us said that the idea of Brendan Lemieux was always way more appealing than actual Brendan Lemieux. That's true, but it's true of most of the tough guys in this league, if not all of them. They are never as consistently effective as you wish they were.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Well, we don't know for a fact that it will, but it's the uncertainty that should and hopefully will lower team's interest and his value.

Crosby had that whole situation with the broken vertebra right up in his brain stem that could have been fatal.

I just think if NYR were so caddy about extending Zibby in part because of his health and versatility, then why would Eichel be the key target?
I’m not a doctor, but I think fusing a disk as opposed to replacing a disk isn’t as impactful.

edit: did Crosby have a neck fracture?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...to-concussion/2012/01/31/gIQA2zEHfQ_blog.html

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't think people understand how deadly and poised for a cup run this team would be if they added veterans and managed to roll

Eichel
Zibanejad
Strome
Barron

down the middle.
I don't think that wins. That's weak defensively imo

Reactions: bbny

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Eichel
Zibanejad
Strome
Barron

down the middle.
I don’t think they would be. It’s a lot of scoring and still zero guys who are hard to play against, are even average leaders, not to mention half of them are peaking now and will not be on the upswing much longer if longer at all

Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad