Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
"Big game hunting".....well considering that Dolan and Sather are teaming up again....they may as well contact the embroidery department and start stitching on the numbers 8 7 and the letter C.....because you just know that is about to take place .....it's the NY way . I actually could live with it...he has the history and makes so many better around him & he has probably 4 more good seasons left surrounded by some young talent .

We would lose some players to get him . Send them Chytil and Buch , Lundkvist and one of Miller/Robertson in all likelihood . That is 4 solid pieces . Pens would think hard on it ...sweeten it with first rounder if needed and possibly a minor league prospect like Gettinger or the big guy that is in Hartford , Cuylle and they flip back a couple of 2nd rounders to help us keep our farm stocked . Minor adjustments would be needed to make the money work . Sign Mika as our #2 C . I would take 4 seasons of Crosby and a legit chance at two Cups with him here versus a soft Eichel . That gives us 4 seasons to find/develop our own #1 C .

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Same here. Out of those 4, Quinn is easily the best candidate.

Babcock abuses his players, Tortorella drives his best players out of town and Roy wouldn't last a season before being fired for humiliating this organization

Dolan is such an insecure POS, I’m sure he is fingering Babcock as the big strong man to be in charge.

Ultimately, and against all odds, I think Drury sits tight with Quinn and we are hearing post games quotes from DQ about how he “thinks an awful lot” about Kravtsov next October.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dolan is such an insecure POS, I’m sure he is fingering Babcock as the big strong man to be in charge.

Ultimately, and against all odds, I think Drury sits tight with Quinn and we are hearing post games quotes from DQ about how he “thinks an awful lot” about Kravtsov next October.
Yea I don’t see Drury moving on from Quinn unless he gets his guy. It’s not just gonna be any vet coach because

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Same here. Out of those 4, Quinn is easily the best candidate.

Babcock abuses his players, Tortorella drives his best players out of town and Roy wouldn't last a season before being fired for humiliating this organization
I’d listen to what Roy has to say, actually. Maybe he has changed, calmed down a bit. It’s hear him out... if they’re really going away from Quinn, which I think is not yet clear, anyhow.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I like Miller, he’s gonna be a good defenseman. He gives me serious Marek Malik vibes. Good vision, smart with the puck, not an offensive dynamo, but serviceable, big and strong, but never really physical.

I would not hesitate to trade Marek Malik 2.0 in a package for Tkachuk.

Would love Tkachuk. Exactly what we need.

But, we have Panarin and Laff locked in for years on LW even if we could shed Kreider.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Would love Tkachuk. Exactly what we need.

But, we have Panarin and Laff locked in for years on LW even if we could shed Kreider.

Right. Also Tkachuk is up again after next season, just how much of our cap as we looking to wrap up in wingers?

I'm far more interested in trading in our chips for a legit, Top pairing LHD than I am a winger.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I’d compare Robertson to Staal more then McD. Back when Staal was healthy he was a physical force against Crosby and Ovechkin in the playoffs if you remember. He moves the puck a little better I think, but he’s a positionally sound D who gets physical when needs be. He’s not going to wow you with his offense but moves the puck out of the zone well. Good first pass
I don’t know the best comp for Schneider atm, I haven’t watched him as much as I’ve seen Robertson, but what I do see, I like a lot. He certainly has the nasty of jackman, but he’s way more mobile and I’m not quite sure how much of his offense is going to translate to the NHL. He may have untapped potential in that regard. If Schneider sees you with your head down, he’s coming. I think he’s more predatory in that regard then Robertson, or maybe more aggressive I should say.
Both are big boys gonna be playing at over 6’3 and 215-220 pounds when they mature. I highly doubt either doesn’t protect net front or stand up for teammates.
I’m really excited for both and think each one of them will be a welcome addition to fox, lindgren, Miller and trouba. I know we are going to deal a D but I would hate to lose either frankly. I think If Robertson pans out the way I think he would be an ideal partner for Fox or Lundkvist. That type of D. But I would have no problem putting him next to Schneider either
A lot of people seem to forget just how good Staal was before the eye injury. He was playing phenomenally. What a shame. Anyways if Robertson becomes pre injuries Staal I’d be beyond stoked.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
A lot of people seem to forget just how good Staal was before the eye injury. He was playing phenomenally. What a shame. Anyways if Robertson becomes pre injuries Staal I’d be beyond stoked.

His offense was finally coming around as well as being arguably one of the best defensive dmen in the game.

Utter bullshit that injury was. Sauer close second.

Reactions: Cmox

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm far more interested in trading in our chips for a legit, Top pairing LHD than I am a winger.

Why? We're going to spend big money on a LHD when we have Miller and Lindgren already in the top 4, with Jones, Robertson and others behind them?

Who are we getting that is better? What are we giving up for him?

With the money we are (Trouba) and will be (Fox) spending on the right side, adding an expensive LHD probably isn't in the cards.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Right. Also Tkachuk is up again after next season, just how much of our cap as we looking to wrap up in wingers?

Also, is nobody concerned that Calgary is willing to move him despite him being great on paper? The guys are sick of his antics supposedly, we have a weak room without adequate leadership - were going to bring in a guy who’s current team is willing to lose his talent because he’s such a pain?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’d listen to what Roy has to say, actually. Maybe he has changed, calmed down a bit. It’s hear him out... if they’re really going away from Quinn, which I think is not yet clear, anyhow.

The reason to move on from Quinn is to replce him with an experienced coach. Roy does not bring the experience we need. Get me Hartley or don't bother.

Reactions: Yuck

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Why? We're going to spend big money on a LHD when we have Miller and Lindgren already in the top 4, with Jones, Robertson and others behind them?

Who are we getting that is better? What are we giving up for him?

With the money we are (Trouba) and will be (Fox) spending on the right side, adding an expensive LHD probably isn't in the cards.

I'm not looking to add to the bottom, I'm looking to add to the top.

Like everyone else, I love Lindgren but is he a TOP pairing guy? I also love the potential of Miller, but if I'm aiming to make the playoffs next season, I'm not sure I'm in the best position to do that with him in our top 4 RIGHT NOW, maybe 2-3 years, but not now.

Fox - X
Nils/Schneider - Lindgren
Trouba - Miller

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think more people are in love with what they think Tkachuk is rather than would actually love him if he were here. He is essentially kreider mixed with avery and add a little bit more skill. He is way more sideshow than he is actual toughness. He would do NOTHING to actually have changed what happened here at the end of the season besides just adding more theatrics.

Also, people saying he is "exactly what we need" are out to lunch bc this team does not "exactly need" another high priced winger when we are already basically pushing buch out the door bc we cant afford to pay him. You invest in MT and bring him here than I hope you're happy with absolute dog shit centers going forward bc you people cant sit here and say we cant afford buch's new contract (6mil WORST case) bc we need center upgrades but then try to justify MT at a 7mil aav that requires a 9mil qualifying offer after next season. It just doesn't work and you're being hypocritical...

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
May be something like bring in a vet like Oleksiak for that 3rd pairing.

I can see 2 main trade chips the Rangers use in the next year or so are Lundkvist and Jones due to them being very similar to players the team has already.

id trade miller over Lundkvist once Lundkvist proves himself, Robertson Schneider will replace Miller. use Miller as a trade chip;. he has pretty good value. i think Jones will be special. id risk and hold on to him. i see a lot of good things from him. Lundkvist has played both sides this year and in the past.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It is amazing how many people are now okay with trading Miller bc he hit the same wall that just about EVERY college player hits in their first pro season. The kid has natural gifts that you cant teach and is going to be an absolute rock in a top 4 in a couple seasons.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm not looking to add to the bottom, I'm looking to add to the top.

Like everyone else, I love Lindgren but is he a TOP pairing guy? I also love the potential of Miller, but if I'm aiming to make the playoffs next season, I'm not sure I'm in the best position to do that with him in our top 4 RIGHT NOW, maybe 2-3 years, but not now.

Fox - X
Nils/Schneider - Lindgren
Trouba - Miller

So I ask again, who are we getting? What is the cost for that player? There are no legit top pair dmen on the UFA market, so that means trading significant assets to acquire one, which would be a huge mistake, especially if we only want that player for a limited time.

The smarter move is to sign a UFA to a short term deal, or trade for an older player who has limited term left. 2 years max. He doesn't need to be top pair, just better/more reliable than Smith. A guy we can trust to play on the 3rd pair, but with the experience to move up if necessary. Guys like Cole or Martinez, perhaps.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-12_9-20-34.png
    upload_2021-5-12_9-20-34.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->