Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVI:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if there is a way for the Rangers to give certain players end of season bonuses based on excess/remaining cap in that season. You could potentially get some value signings that way. More money for players, or you know the team is maximizing its cap to give the team the best chance at winning. Allows for trade deadline rental acquisitions, etc.

The only question I have is, do performance bonuses (or "performance" bonuses in this case) cause that player's AAV to creep up? I know signing bonuses get applied to AAV. If they do, this idea doesn't work at all. I suppose you could do it later in the contract if it does.

Performance bonuses, when reached, can be applied to that season's salary cap, or carry over to the next season if the team wishes to do so.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I wonder if there is a way for the Rangers to give certain players end of season bonuses based on excess/remaining cap in that season. You could potentially get some value signings that way. More money for players, or you know the team is maximizing its cap to give the team the best chance at winning. Allows for trade deadline rental acquisitions, etc.

The only question I have is, do performance bonuses (or "performance" bonuses in this case) cause that player's AAV to creep up? I know signing bonuses get applied to AAV. If they do, this idea doesn't work at all. I suppose you could do it later in the contract if it does.

Performance bonuses have no effect on AAV, but must be applied when the contract is negotiated I believe.
Still effect cap, just not AAV

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I'd **** with Hartnell if he came cheap. That dude did work 5v5 last season. 33 points in 820 minutes.

Hartnell is hilarious

hartnellrogan.gif

One of those players you enjoy watchin even though he is playing for other teams

Worth looking into at least IMO

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Performance bonuses have no effect on AAV, but must be applied when the contract is negotiated I believe.
Still effect cap, just not AAV

oh neat, that seems like an interesting way to circumvent CBA cap stuff - you just make the bonus calculation based on remaining cap instead of a predetermined value. It's like how businesses calculate their Xmas bonuses. "Here's some money so we don't have to pay extra taxes" - this could allow us to sign players at a "discount" so the team has cap flexibility come trade deadline but in the event you don't use it up, bonus pay day! Last season we would have had $1.39M up for grabs!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'd **** with Hartnell if he came cheap. That dude did work 5v5 last season. 33 points in 820 minutes.

I wanted him in a trade for Girardi or Staal for the last 2 seasons. I think the guy has been overpaid at times BUT also underrated as a player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Spending the year rooting for Hartnell would be a trip. Dunno if he'd bite on a 4th line role though.

It depends on what he expects. He still gets 5m from Columbus over the next 4 years, so money-wise I don't expect he asks for much if it's a 1-year deal.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Tchakev Miller Nash
Vesey Hayes Zuccarello
Grabner Grigorenko Fast
Nieves/Puempel/Klingberg/Jensen fight for two spots (until Fast returns at least)
Andersson in the Wings

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Holden Bereglazov/DeAngelo
Graves/Pionk

Lundqvist
Nilsson

Marc Staal is dealt.. Somewhere. Somehow. We Night need to retain and/or add a prospect plus a pick to do it though
Maybe we also trade Holden?
Nash dealt at the deadline for Max Return
Also leaves us with some cap space we might se further Ahead.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Tchakev Miller Nash
Vesey Hayes Zuccarello
Grabner Grigorenko Fast
Nieves/Puempel/Klingberg
Andersson in the Wings

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Holden Bereglazov/DeAngelo
Graves/Pionk

Lundqvist
Nilsson

Maybe we also trade Holden?
Nash dealt at the deadline for Max Return
Also leaves us with some cap space we might se further Ahead.

Did Staal retire?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Pouliet does not seem necessary but I suppose if we signed him to his original deal at $1.3M, it would not be terrible. I would just want our RFA sit to be sorted beforehand. 1 yr though because we'll need that cap space next summer with 5 RFAs

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Pick up Hartnell and Pouliot, trade Nash would be solid. Probably be cheaper too.

Would rather have Nash than those too.

Either way I dont see a fit for another winger as currently constructed. Maybe we one if Miller slides back to Center. But for me that should be option C if we miss out on Thornton and Sharp to take the 3C spot.

If we miss out on Boyle, I like buy-low candidates like Grigorenko and Burmistrov. A lot of names out there. They could come in and battle Andersson for the 4C spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->