Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVI:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Paying McDonagh's extension into a rebuild is salary cap suicide. Now is the time to get the best value.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Good thing we aren't rebuilding!

If they don't sign Shattenkirk, they are rebuilding. There is no reason to sugar coat it. It would be great to rebuild instead of doing some half-measure retool. We will know by Sunday.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Another one. God.

Haha. this offseason has been a doozy so far. Ranger fans seem to be at both ends of the spectrum. Rebuild ...don't rebuild...retool...sign big free agents...don't sign anyone long term...give shatty the blank check... Give the kids a chance ...the kids are not quite ready.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Haha. this offseason has been a doozy so far. Ranger fans seem to be at both ends of the spectrum. Rebuild ...don't rebuild...retool...sign big free agents...don't sign anyone long term...give shatty the blank check... Give the kids a chance ...the kids are not quite ready.

That was supposed to be Go. :laugh:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Back to Kovy ... man imagine him blasting shots on the PP here with Shatty setting him up .... :D

Would fit nicely but call me selfish and full of pride but i'm not giving that piece of crap organization and their fans anything decent in return. They lucked out already by winning the lottery.
I know the school of thought is it shouldn't matter trading with a rival as long as you get something of worth from that rival but this is the devils. No way.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Would fit nicely but call me selfish and full of pride but i'm not giving that piece of crap organization and their fans anything decent in return. They lucked out already by winning the lottery.
I know the school of thought is it shouldn't matter trading with a rival as long as you get something of worth from that rival but this is the devils. No way.

Oh trust me I know, I hate NJ more than any other team ... including the Islanders and Penguins.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Retool is right cause they are not dealing all assets for youth

They clearly think the Stepan contract will be another Girardi . Eventual buy out

Thing is the ufa list sucks . I'm fine w trying to win w a stop gap like Thornton then pray Tavares is around next year

Larouche to Bears

Jan 24, 2012
Some of you may have not realized the NY before Rangers, stands for New York. Besides the Jets, Nets, Icelanders, and Mets, we play every season to win a championship. Rebuild has, nor ever will be a option

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Some of you may have not realized the NY before Rangers, stands for New York. Besides the Jets, Nets, Icelanders, and Mets, we play every season to win a championship. Rebuild has, nor ever will be a option

Should have told that to the Yankees before they sold off pretty much every useful piece they had on their roster last year...

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oh trust me I know, I hate NJ more than any other team ... including the Islanders and Penguins.

Its more their fans than the team but i guess its a package deal.
The devils are not gonna ship kovy to us for anything less than a decent defensive prospect or two high picks. I would be shocked it we got him for a holden or 4th/5th rounder.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's interesting because Chicago just traded Hjalmersson with 2 years left because they were afraid of his next contract. Same with Panarin. They are regretting the Seabrook deal for sure. Suter is one that has worked out so far but he was UFA at 28, not 30 like McDonagh will be. Giordano was resigned long term and I think that's a contract they will regret pretty soon. Unless McDonagh is willing to discuss a 5 year deal, I'd be inclined to consider moving him now.

Obviously the return would need to be exceptional.

I'd probably look at something like:

Honka + Heiskenen + DAL 1st + DAL 2nd

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Should have told that to the Yankees before they sold off pretty much every useful piece they had on their roster last year...

I understand what you are saying but baseball is a completely different animal. that being said Cashman did a great job.
The team that should really be rebuilding full scale are the jets but i digress lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's interesting because Chicago just traded Hjalmersson with 2 years left because they were afraid of his next contract. Same with Panarin. They are regretting the Seabrook deal for sure. Suter is one that has worked out so far but he was UFA at 28, not 30 like McDonagh will be. Giordano was resigned long term and I think that's a contract they will regret pretty soon. Unless McDonagh is willing to discuss a 5 year deal, I'd be inclined to consider moving him now.

Obviously the return would need to be exceptional.

I'd probably look at something like:

Honka + Heiskenen + DAL 1st + DAL 2nd

I think McDonagh is the Rangers route to getting that top six center. They just lost. Look at the returns that bad dmen are getting.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I understand what you are saying but baseball is a completely different animal. that being said Cashman did a great job.
The team that should really be rebuilding full scale are the jets but i digress lol

Not really, you could argue because baseball has no luxury tax, it's easier to buy a competitive team ... ask the 1997 Marlins and the 2013 Red Sox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->