Salary Cap: Roster Building | Contract Charts 1st Post | See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sprong is due for a new deal after this season along with Hornqvist. But Sprong hasn't even played in the NHL yet.

Guentzel isn't due for a new contract until after the 18-19 season.

Yes that's when his contract expires. But he's "eligible," which was the point of the post, for his contract to be renegotiated at the end of this coming season. The Pens don't have to do it, but if he's great this year there's no reason they won't want to re-sign him earlier to a long term deal just as they did with Maatta. It makes good financial sense if you want the player here long term

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes that's when his contract expires. But he's "eligible," which was the point of the post, for his contract to be renegotiated at the end of this coming season. The Pens don't have to do it, but if he's great this year there's no reason they won't want to re-sign him earlier to a long term deal just as they did with Maatta. It makes good financial sense if you want the player here long term

right, but it still doesn't go into effect until the following season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would guess, could be wrong, that Horny would be looking for term more than maximizing cap hit. He is the ultimate competitor and has the drive to keep winning. Unless another serious contender is offering him 5.5MM on a long term deal, I believe he'd take a discount to stay here.

Keep in mind he's already earned over 30MM in career earnings through the end of this year. This isn't a guy like Bones who never had a serious payday. He does deserve a raise as the market has gone up since his signed his prior deal, but is 5MM more over 5 years worth playing for a mediocre to good team vs a great team?

Let's say he gets a 4.75 x 5 offer from Pittsburgh. That's another 23.75MM on top of the 32ish MM he's made already. Would he really turn that down to make 5.5MM somewhere else?

Maybe, maybe not.

I haven't had a good look at what contenders will have some cap open and be looking for a right wing but I'd be surprised if a contender isn't willing to offer more. Certainly a potential contender will be willing to offer more.

As pointed out repeatedly, Hornqvist is about as good at what he does as there is in the league and there aren't a lot of people doing it. Surely serious contenders are gonna want that and are gonna be willing to pay top end for it?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
right, but it still doesn't go into effect until the following season.

Yes but if you're going to sign Jake and that obviously impacts Horny, it doesn't make sense that you'd sign both knowing that you'd be trading Horny in a year when Jake's contract kicks in. Either they sign Horny regardless and knowing they have to pay Jake (Sprong's RFA deal won't cost much) or they don't. I personally think if they really want to sign Horny that it may come down to trading Kessel at least by next year because I can't see them affording three wings on the roster making close to or over $6 mil per year. Especially with how much the D is costing beginning this year.

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
Yes but if you're going to sign Jake and that obviously impacts Horny, it doesn't make sense that you'd sign both knowing that you'd be trading Horny in a year when Jake's contract kicks in. Either they sign Horny regardless and knowing they have to pay Jake (Sprong's RFA deal won't cost much) or they don't. I personally think if they really want to sign Horny that it may come down to trading Kessel at least by next year because I can't see them affording three wings on the roster making close to or over $6 mil per year. Especially with how much the D is costing beginning this year.

I'd imagine Hagelin's contract would be the first gone in a cap crunch then go from there.

I think Hornqvist is a guy you sign then deal with it later. We don't have any bad contracts and all are moveable if need be.

If it's a team friendly deal do it now if not wait til the summer. If it's too much thank him for the wonderful contribution and say goodbye.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They also have Hagelin, Cole and Reaves coming off before Guentzel's new contract would kick in. Cole is the only one I'd expect to see replaced in free agency. About 7M plus whatever the cap goes up by and any free cap space the Pens have to cover a reasonable raise for Hornqvist, Guentzel's new deal and Sprong, Rust and Wilson being re-signed, and a new bottom pairing D isn't infeasible.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not really. JR said he's been thinking about it (new deal) a little bit, but that he's "certainly not going to deal with it this month". Rutherford also acknowledges where the depth lies and what/where their future is (I assume he's talking about Sprong and ZAR, but no names were named).

JR has been very busy this summer re-signing restricted free agents. One thing at a time people.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
They also have Hagelin, Cole and Reaves coming off before Guentzel's new contract would kick in. Cole is the only one I'd expect to see replaced in free agency. About 7M plus whatever the cap goes up by and any free cap space the Pens have to cover a reasonable raise for Hornqvist, Guentzel's new deal and Sprong, Rust and Wilson being re-signed, and a new bottom pairing D isn't infeasible.

I'd think Hunwick is the Cole replacement, ideally a bottom pairing guy, but one who can slide up as needed. We may see Ruh as a #6 next year, which he should be ready for by then.

Between Hagelin and Cole coming off, and some incremental increases to the cap, we should be fine. A big dollar 3C would hose all this up, of course, which is probably why JR said around 2M for that spot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd think Hunwick is the Cole replacement, ideally a bottom pairing guy, but one who can slide up as needed. We may see Ruh as a #6 next year, which he should be ready for by then.

Between Hagelin and Cole coming off, and some incremental increases to the cap, we should be fine. A big dollar 3C would hose all this up, of course, which is probably why JR said around 2M for that spot.

Maybe. I think Ruhwedel as the 7D would still be the goal but hopefully he'd be solid as the 6D. An expensive 3C makes things more complicated and if Sprong has a ridiculous season he could complicate things as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Let's say he gets a 4.75 x 5 offer from Pittsburgh. That's another 23.75MM on top of the 32ish MM he's made already. Would he really turn that down to make 5.5MM somewhere else?

Maybe, maybe not.

Depends on where else. LV? No, not a chance. Nashville or Washington or NYR (or whatever other team you feel is right close to being a contender)? I think it would be much more likely that he would.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think if you can get him at an AAV that'll allow you to play him away from 87 and 71 at ES, I'd give him term. He'll be in the league a long while. By the time he's toast, so will our team's contending window.

The examples of net front players lasting well into their thirties are plentiful. Including the guy he modeled his game after.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe. I think Ruhwedel as the 7D would still be the goal but hopefully he'd be solid as the 6D. An expensive 3C makes things more complicated and if Sprong has a ridiculous season he could complicate things as well.

That's why we don't want a Staal or RNH contract tying us to 4 or 5 years contracts. But they could afford to pay Duchene for two years. After that is when it gets complicated. But if you're signing Horny for 5 years at 5.5 and you're paying Jake at 6 years, 6 mil and you've got another few years of paying Kessel 6.8 mil, that is not a good use of cap resources. They are better off spending a little more money at the center position and a little less on the wings.....

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Rutherford better not go into the season with Rowney as our 3C and Dea as our 4C. He'd be competing with Bergevin for the worst GM this summer if this happens.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rutherford better not go into the season with Rowney as our 3C and Dea as our 4C. He'd be competing with Bergevin for the worst GM this summer if this happens.

And if he acquires an impact 3C, he creates the best roster in the league and it ain't close. He's obviously waiting it out to make that happen.

I'll take that line of thinking over appeasing fans by picking up some middle of the road guy who will likely be available in a few months as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's why we don't want a Staal or RNH contract tying us to 4 or 5 years contracts. But they could afford to pay Duchene for two years. After that is when it gets complicated. But if you're signing Horny for 5 years at 5.5 and you're paying Jake at 6 years, 6 mil and you've got another few years of paying Kessel 6.8 mil, that is not a good use of cap resources. They are better off spending a little more money at the center position and a little less on the wings.....

I'd rather have the guy on 4/5 years and have a difficult decision on who to trade for assets down the line than have the guy on 2 years and lose someone for no assets.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Rutherford just gm'd the team to two cups... barring him trading Crosby for tanner glass there is no way he ever sniffs the bottom of the gm lists..

Also teams that "win" the offseason or trade deadline rarely "win" the cup, because established glitzy names aren't the cheapest options and rarely fit how fans envision...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'd imagine Hagelin's contract would be the first gone in a cap crunch then go from there.

I think Hornqvist is a guy you sign then deal with it later. We don't have any bad contracts and all are moveable if need be.

If it's a team friendly deal do it now if not wait til the summer. If it's too much thank him for the wonderful contribution and say goodbye.

I mean im pretty sure there will be a dropoff with horny but im fine with signing him a few years past that for two reasons

1. I think he is a huge asset for the bulk of the contending years left.

2. I think the nhl will expand again in about 3 or 4 years and he could be tantalizing for a team to take him for a deadline deal kind of like neal was...

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'd love to get AA but 1) Holland is unlikely to trade him and 2) offer sheets, sadly, aren't done.

This would be a good time for GMJR to try one tho.

We don't have the cap space to sign a guy to an unmatchable offer sheet... that tactic is reserved for rare teams with money to burn and in win now mode so they don't need the picks they lose

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We don't have the cap space to sign a guy to an unmatchable offer sheet... that tactic is reserved for rare teams with money to burn and in win now mode so they don't need the picks they lose

The thing is that Detroit is in a **** situation to match a fairly low offer sheet. It's in the article but their cap situation is godawful and they have a lot of brutal contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad