Salary Cap: Roster Building | Contract Charts 1st Post | See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Aaron Rodgers had one word for all Penguins fan worrying about 3rd line center.....RELAX

For love of the god people were coming off back to back champships, yet so many here want to trade half the roster for some overrated jabroni named like Matt Duchesne, who many here think of second coming of Ron Francis the way people here talk about him.

And thought of Kessel, Guentzel, Rust or Wilson playing Center and people act like the Pens will miss the playoffs and win 20 games. I really hope Sprong lights it up in training camp and our top 9 has 7 wingers and 2 centers and our top 9 is something like this.

Sheary-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Guentzel-Hornqvist

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
Rust-Kessel-Hornqvist

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Sheary-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Rust-Sprong

Then right before the trading deadline the Pens can get some 3rd line center who does the who the whole " corsi, intangibles, 200 foot game, defensive zone faceoffs, and the other nerd stuff" that you hockey hipsters get a little too excited about.

haha yeah guys chill out and just play wingers at the center position. problem SOLVED.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Some actual news here.

Good news, at that. He's one of the guys I really think we need to keep on the team. So few teams have the garbage goal type guys and he does it at big times. He and Kessel brought 2 things we just flat out didn't have for a good while. Kessel with his elite scoring ability to provide scoring outside of Sid/Geno and Hornqvist brought that net front presence we lacked.

If he slows down later, oh well. **** happens. Staying away from the Daley/Hainsey/Bonino deals have helped us prepare to make offers to those guys we cannot be without. I am on the side of the argument where I feel Hornqvist is one of those guys. It would be so insanely difficult to replace him as replacing Bones, IMO, isn't as difficult.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
My only problem with Hornqvist is his age the and the style he plays. Will he turn 31 by the time he goes UFA? I wouldn't give him over 4 years, ideally 3 years. I 100% want him resigned, its just the term I am concerned with.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And that's with a nagging injury for part of his games played iirc. It's not about the calibre of player he is because he is that elite #1, it's about how fragile he is and that you'd expect the injuries to take a toll eventually.
It's certainly something that could happen. But I was replying to someone saying he isn't the player he used to be.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The quotes i read from JR in that article and the headline from Yohe seemed kind of misleading.

Seems like JR is just saying what you expect any GM to say about Horny and Cole, i definitely didn't get the feel that hes considering signing either one of them anytime soon.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The quotes i read from JR in that article and the headline from Yohe seemed kind of misleading.

Seems like JR is just saying what you expect any GM to say about Horny and Cole, i definitely didn't get the feel that hes considering signing either one of them anytime soon.

Can someone post his exact quotes?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My only problem with Hornqvist is his age the and the style he plays. Will he turn 31 by the time he goes UFA? I wouldn't give him over 4 years, ideally 3 years. I 100% want him resigned, its just the term I am concerned with.

I doubt you get him for 4 years and definitely not 3.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Good news, at that. He's one of the guys I really think we need to keep on the team. So few teams have the garbage goal type guys and he does it at big times. He and Kessel brought 2 things we just flat out didn't have for a good while. Kessel with his elite scoring ability to provide scoring outside of Sid/Geno and Hornqvist brought that net front presence we lacked.

If he slows down later, oh well. **** happens. Staying away from the Daley/Hainsey/Bonino deals have helped us prepare to make offers to those guys we cannot be without. I am on the side of the argument where I feel Hornqvist is one of those guys. It would be so insanely difficult to replace him as replacing Bones, IMO, isn't as difficult.

Honestly, if another lockout is coming and lbr it is then there will almost for sure be compliance buyouts. It could workout well with a Hornqvist extension.

It's certainly something that could happen. But I was replying to someone saying he isn't the player he used to be.

Yeah, I saw that and it was bizarre. What I was getting at is maybe he won't be the same after this injury but the last we saw of him he was still elite when he was dealing with the neck. To say he wasn't elite is a ridiculous argument when there's already the big worry with Letang's future play.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Some actual news here.

Not really. JR said he's been thinking about it (new deal) a little bit, but that he's "certainly not going to deal with it this month". Rutherford also acknowledges where the depth lies and what/where their future is (I assume he's talking about Sprong and ZAR, but no names were named).

Seems to be nothing more then what any of us would do... should we? Can we afford it? Can we afford not to? bla bla bla.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I doubt you get him for 4 years and definitely not 3.

In reality I do not believe you can get him for 3 years ether, would LOVE that, but I doubt it. I think 4 years would get him, it would take him to 34/35. I most certainly wouldn't give him over 5, absolute all in on term would be 5 years with him. At least IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
In reality I do not believe you can get him for 3 years ether, would LOVE that, but I doubt it. I think 4 years would get him, it would take him to 34/35. I most certainly wouldn't give him over 5, absolute all in on term would be 5 years with him. At least IMO.

I think it takes 5 years and while 4 is what I'd like, I may bend the rules a bit to get him signed. I think someone is giving him 5 so the Pens may have to match term, but could get the dollars down a bit to do so.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If you sign him then the Pens have to eventually move someone for financial moves. I have suggested Kessel after the next couple of years would be tradeable at an average 5.1 million AAV.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you sign him then the Pens have to eventually move someone for financial moves. I have suggested Kessel after the next couple of years would be tradeable at an average 5.1 million AAV.

Pittsburgh isn't going to retain 1.7m on Kessel to trade him to one of 8 teams.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You don't trade Kessel to keep Hornqvist around...Kessel is way more valuable

This post doesn't make much sense. Of course Phil is dynamic. Of course Hornqvist's skill is needed. But the two are not 1 for 1 here. If down the road Phil's money is needed, it's for Murray/Guentzel/etc. But we aren't anywhere near that right now so no rush. Same goes for Horny. IF that style of play is something we could bring up from WBS (doubt it being that there are like 5 guys who play this style in the entire NHL now), then Horny's trade/buyout(vabm8's thought)/etc. are to go to making sure Guentzel/Murray/etc. are here for a looooonnnnnnng time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It would be a disaster to sign Horny to a med-length, mid-salary deal.

Term or money. Pick one Pat.

1-2yr x $4.5mil+

or

3+ yrs x $3mil.

If he falls off a cliff, which many who play his style do, he can't become a cap anchor. I worry. 31 is not the ideal age to have to resign someone like him.

5yr x $5mil? Disaster written all over it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
This post doesn't make much sense. Of course Phil is dynamic. Of course Hornqvist's skill is needed. But the two are not 1 for 1 here. If down the road Phil's money is needed, it's for Murray/Guentzel/etc. But we aren't anywhere near that right now so no rush. Same goes for Horny. IF that style of play is something we could bring up from WBS (doubt it being that there are like 5 guys who play this style in the entire NHL now), then Horny's trade/buyout(vabm8's thought)/etc. are to go to making sure Guentzel/Murray/etc. are here for a looooonnnnnnng time.

I know. Just responding to the post saying that the pens would have to move Kessel if they extened Hornqvist. You keep Kessel over Hornqvist 10 out of 10 times.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

1-2yr x $4.5mil+

or

3+ yrs x $3mil.

If he falls off a cliff, which many who play his style do, he can't become a cap anchor. I worry. 31 is not the ideal age to have to resign someone like him.

You have an interesting view of disasters if you think a 4-5 year deal at 4.5MM is one.

5x5 is too rich for me, but I don't think it will take that.

What is the Penguins window? In my view, it's the next 1-4 years. Will Hornqvist still be a very valuable player during that period of time? I think the answer is absolutely yes. So if it takes taking on an extra year and we don't give a restrictive NTC, then I definitely do it. At worst, you buy him out in the last year but I doubt that will be necessary.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

1-2yr x $4.5mil+

or

3+ yrs x $3mil.

He's getting closer to 5x5 than either of those other deals. Either would be almost insultingly low to offer him. I'll be shocked if he goes under 4m regardless of length. And I'd expect him to cost near 6 for anything short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad