Thompson/Weal

Chiarot-Weber
Mete-Scandella
(Valimaki/Kylington)-Fleury
Kulak-Folin

Price
Lindgren

Weise sent down.
Kovy stays because I don't believe we can have much more than a late round pick. Same with Thompson, Cousins, Weal Scandella and Kulak.

I don't beleive we can have the right return for Price, Weber, Chiarot and Byron.

I also keep Gally, Danault and Armia for leadership.
Drouin, Domi(LW), Lekh, KK, Suzuki(C), Poehling, Mete and Fleury all youngs and here to stay.

So we trade :
Tatar (50% retained) vs Pelletier or Valimaki or Kylington + Phillips or Ruzicka or 3rd round pick 2020.

Petry(50% retained) vs Korczak + Kerbs or VGS 2nd round pick 2020.
I hope my value is not way off

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Whether he gets dealt at the TDL or not, definitely would like to see Kovalchuk get a one year deal from us next year- would really shore up our top 9

LW
Drouin
Domi
Lehkonen
Big LW

C
Danault
Suzuki
KK
Poehling

RW
Kovalchuk
Gallagher
Armia
CC

Trumpet Hab

Sep 28, 2017
Victoria
Kovalchuk represents a bit of a conundrum when we get healthy

It's a long standing unwritten rule that you don't lose your lineup spot to injury. I also think that Gallagher is the better fit on the line but that he's also a team first guy and wouldn't lose one moment of sleep if he was moved to another line. Kovalchuk and Suzuki have proven they belong in our top 6. Gallagher certainly does. What's your lineup?

Tatar Danault Kovalchuk (Tatar and Danault don't seem to be hampered by Kovalchuks "freelancing")
Domi Suzuki Gallagher (this would be an extremely annoying line to play against.)
Drouin KK Armia (this worked well earlier this year)
Lehkonen Thompson Cousins/Poehling/Byron

Lehkonen is better than the fourth line, but he slots in better in a defensive role than an offensive one.

On paper this is a pretty strong group of forwards .... putting out the right combination together is the key. Kovalchuk's addition slots some players into roles they are better suited for. It's also pretty clear that we could move 2-3 forwards at the deadline and not be "tanking".

For the record I don't think we're making the playoffs. It would require playing .750 hockey from here on in and that's unrealistic.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
My lineup is:

Tatar Danault Gally
Drouin Domi Suzuki
Kovy KK Armia - (Give KK some talent and watch him shine!)
Poehling Thompson Lehkonen
Byron

Chiarot Weber
Mete Petry
Scandella Fleury

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Thompson - Poehling

Chiarot - Weber
Scandella - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Might be a brain fart from me, but :

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Kovalchuk
Poehling Kotkaniemi Armia
Domi Thompson Lehkonen

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-suzuki-Kovy
Domi-KK-Armia
Poehling-Thompson-Lehks

Actually a very strong group. If we had that PLUS a strong Price it would be a playoff team.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Fully healthy? Is that before or after the TDL?

Assumption 1 - the team wins enough games to satisfy management that they are buyers at the TDL.
Assumption 2 - Bergevin has no intention of re-signing Scandella because he wants a long term upgrade on Kulak.

Key observation 1 - Domi needs a raise soon and hasn't quite lived up to last year's performance, I'd say some nights he even looks selfish in his decision-making.
Key observation 2 - with Caufield here next year or the one after next at the absolute latest and the possibility that Kovy re-signs for 1 or 2 years in MTL, the top 9 is log-jammed.
Key observation 3 - I read a lot more talk on here about Suzuki becoming a #1C than Domi being one for us on the long term. Domi becomes expandable.

Spring 2020

Drouin - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Thompson - Cousins

Chiarot - Weber
Solid top 4 D (traded for Domi) - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak

2020-21 season - bye Thompson, Cousins, Scandella

Drouin - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Armia/Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Caufield/Armia

Chiarot - Weber
Solid top 4 D (traded for Domi) - Petry
Mete/Romanov - Fleury
Romanov/Mete/Kulak

That provides stability, which is what ownership & management seem to be in love with. No major moves other than Domi for a top 4 D, some picks to get the value right for both teams.
Trade Domi for Nurse.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
I agree Domi is a puck possession winger. But I also think Poehling can be more effective as a power forward winger. His puck possession skills does not appear to be a strength to me at this stage. Could change as time moves forward but right now today, he is a power forward winger. This is why I think Danault needs to stay.

In terms of the future, I have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Danault as our centers.
That's the main plan of Habs coaching staff so far and they will keep going that way. You sir understand where this team is going!!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
(mod)
The problem is that we can’t pay him as a top 6 player in his next contract, THAT is what we cannot do. THAT is what’s gonna hurt us. 5 million x 8 years and he has to understand that he will be the 3C within the next 2 upcoming seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Habitant le colon

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
We don't need Domi to fill a defensive need, he's an offensive minded center. Suzuki can fill in for Danault if you want defense...our centers next year should be:

Domi
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
Thompson

Poehling on the wings...when Kotkaniemi is ready to make the jump to 2C, shift Domi to the wing and Poehling to 3C.
This is so poor on a defensive side that you are building the old Coyotes ... Domi sucks down low in his zone. So all pressure would be on kids for the 2way role and impact on their offensive side ... Kickout Domi for Nurse and let's keep them grooming with Danault and Kovy instead

Reactions: Roadhouse

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
The problem is that we can’t pay him as a top 6 player in his next contract, THAT is what we cannot do. THAT is what’s gonna hurt us. 5 million x 8 years and he has to understand that he will be the 3C within the next 2 upcoming seasons.
Danault will gladly take the hometwon discount and perhaps Pacboy old contract ... Remember when we sign Gally ... I'm sure that 4,500 for 4 years can be possible and a great contract for a guy who gonna play top6 for 2 years and the 3c for the remaining of his contract. The guy is a keeper and it would be an error to trade him in the next 3 to 4 years.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Danault will gladly take the hometwon discount and perhaps Pacboy old contract ... Remember when we sign Gally ... I'm sure that 4,500 for 4 years can be possible and a great contract for a guy who gonna play top6 for 2 years and the 3c for the remaining of his contract. The guy is a keeper and it would be an error to trade him in the next 3 to 4 years.
why ?? why would he leave money on the table ?? cause you think he's an idiot or something ??

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I would be ready to give Danault 8 years @ 5 million with the understanding that he will be playing 3C soon.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
why ?? why would he leave money on the table ?? cause you think he's an idiot or something ??
The so called money in the table ... Do you know that every players unless elite one leave money on the table because they have comparable ... Did Plekanec gets 7 millions money a year or less? You guys are skyrocketing prices and value. Danault is closer to his peak and know well that if he want big money he will need a cup or a selke... Since we have one of the best youngster crew he would be stupid to not think about the discount.

Money today is not always stability and money for future mean to have to proper conditions to build on.

Players are not normal human taking their value, they are PME si they need to project their gain and be able to maintain pace ...

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
I would be ready to give Danault 8 years @ 5 million with the understanding that he will be playing 3C soon.
And this is perhaps a possibility. But if i'm him i'm taking 4 for 4,5 and hope for a cup or a selke to get big time pay raise ... And Danault is a great gambler!

But if he takes 8*5 and become the next Bergeron, MB will win a GM award (eveb if he gets fired before)

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
And this is perhaps a possibility. But if i'm him i'm taking 4 for 4,5 and hope for a cup or a selke to get big time pay raise ... And Danault is a great gambler!

But if he takes 8*5 and become the next Bergeron, MB will win a GM award (eveb if he gets fired before)
He’s nowhere close to Bergeron in terms of offensive skill and never will be. If we re-sign him we should offer him maximum years IMO. He’s never gonna win a Selke either that’s a pipe dream.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Maybe he’s a nice guy and wants to save Molson some money... or make Bergevin look good because he likes him...

You just gotta thrown some wings from La Cage in the performance bonuses et le tour est joué. 8 X 4.5M plus a bunch of wings, mon Danault.

Danault seems good buddies with Ron in that ad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->