Line Combos: Roster 2019-2020

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Domi- KK - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (line plays well)
Byron - Poehling - Armia
Lehkonen - Cousins - Weal

Let's go KK

or maybe

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Poehling - Domi - Drouin
Byron/Lehkonen - KK - Armia
Lehkonen/Byron - Cousins/Thompson - Weal

I have your first line-up in mind for a good month now.
Play the kid, enough waiting.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Not all of the 2019 playoff teams will repeat . Boston may be replaced by Florida or Montreal. because thus far the Bruins haven't fortified themselves, while the Panthers and Habs have. I suspect the Bruins would rather have Poehling than Krejci. The Leafs would be weaker without Marner yet still qualify. I don't see how the Rangers could miss. Ottawa should be relegated to the AHL.
Krejci put up a higher PPG in the NHL last year than Poehling did in the NCAA

Also inb4 "POEHLING WENT 3 PPG!!" :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vachon23

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I don't think it's realistic for Suzuki to make this team with the amount of forwards signed. Playing a prime role in Laval is the smarter move and not every young player should go from OHL to NHL directly.

That being said this is the lineup I think we might see:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (Undeniable chemistry between these 3)
Poehling - Domi - Drouin (CJ likes to add a big body with this duo)
Lekhonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia ( There is a good chance Byron subs in for one of the wingers but the Finns have nice chemistry together imo and Byron just makes our top 9 smaller than it has to be)
Byron - Cousins - Weal (Could be an interesting line , if Cousins doesn't workout perhaps give Peca another look)

Mete - Weber (Mete compliments Weber so well, ideally Mete finds his offensive game)
Kulak - Petry (Kulak progress is undeniable, have to give him a shot on the top 4 ahead of Chiarot)
Chiarot - Juulsen (Solid physical duo that can skate and play a smart game , veteran + youngster)

All of our D pairings have an experienced D playing with a fairly newer pros (Mete/Kulak/Juulsen)

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Mete - Weber (Mete compliments Weber so well, ideally Mete finds his offensive game)
Kulak - Petry (Kulak progress is undeniable, have to give him a shot on the top 4 ahead of Chiarot)
Chiarot - Juulsen (Solid physical duo that can skate and play a smart game , veteran + youngster)
Damn i like the balance of those pairs. High hopes for Mete and Juulsen. Juulsen was so friggin good early in the season and Mete has that speed and some tools to crack it.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
A bit optimistic but here goes

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
- Strong at 5v5, great chemistry and all that jazz. They're given the toughest assignments

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Armia
- I think Kotkaniemi can step up to the next level, he's supposedly added at least 10 lbs. Domi will like having a talented center and will still be able to do the zone entries. Armia complete the lines with a big presence, defensive prowess and forechecking ability

Drouin-Poehling-Lehkonen

- The most risky one probably. Drouin gets 1st wave PP and plays against weaker opposition which could enable him. Poehling gets a talented winger in Drouin. Lehkonen brings the defense and forechecking to the line

Byron-Cousins-Weal

There's some offense in this line but it is a bit soft for a 4th. Thompson can also play

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Chiarot-Juulsen

It would be nice if Brook was immediately ready at the camp since he brings a playmaking dimension that both Chiarot and Juulsen lack. I put Juulsen here as placeholder, but I'm not sure he'll ever be at 100% since the injuries. If he is, Chiarot-Juulsen could still be a strong physical shutdown 3rd pairing

I don't think the Habs make the playoffs even with a less risky lineup given how strong the East is this year, so why not actually try to further develop the young guys. If this lineup actually clicks, you have a massively consolidated top 9 where you can insert Caufield like a glove in a few years. Plus the top 3 centers are all 6'1 or more which is very pleasing to me

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I completely forgot about Cousins

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (Play against the other teams top line)
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Drouin (High offensive zone %, easier minutes)
Byron-Poehling-Armia (Should be a solid 2-way line if Poehling is ready)
Lehkonen-Cousins-Weal
Thompson

Mete-Weber (praying Mete takes the next step this season)
Chiarot-Petry (Chiarot didn't look too out of place with Byfuglien last season, Petry would help carry him)
Kulak-Juulsen (Obviously if Kulak improves he has the potential to replace Chiarot)

It's pretty optimistic to think that Kotkaniemi will play C instead of Domi, but if KK can be a 55-60 point center this year we should be in business

theOutsider

Jun 18, 2012
Hopefully the young guns all have a good training camp allowing us to place the stop-gap veterans on waivers

tatar - danault - gallagher
domi - poehling - drouin
lehkonen - kotkaniemi - armia
byron - mccarron - suzuki
cousins

chiarot - weber
kulak - petry
mete - juulsen
reilly - folin

price
kinkaid

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
I have your first line-up in mind for a good month now.
Play the kid, enough waiting.

I have nothing against Kotka playing on the 1st line, but he and Drouin have probably shown the worst chemistry I ever seen when they played on the same line last year. I'd keep them separated.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I could really see Poeling pushing his way on to the team right out of camp. If so I think we're looking at something like this, if not right away then part way into the season:

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Lehkonen - Poeling - Weal
Byron - Cousins/Thompson - Armia

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Kinkaid

Should be a fun team, but I anticipate another bubble season, possibly not making it again. Hopefully for the last time for a while. I'd be happier with an 8th place finish, multi-round playoff, and still pick top 20.

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I could really see Poeling pushing his way on to the team right out of camp. If so I think we're looking at something like this, if not right away then part way into the season:

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Lehkonen - Poeling - Weal
Byron - Cousins/Thompson - Armia

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Kinkaid

Should be a fun team, but I anticipate another bubble season, possibly not making it again. Hopefully for the last time for a while. I'd be happier with an 8th place finish, multi-round playoff, and still pick top 20.

Would have liked to have seen 1 better winger on that 3rd line. Perhaps Suzuki can win the role in camp.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Hopefully the young guns all have a good training camp allowing us to place the stop-gap veterans on waivers

tatar - danault - gallagher
domi - poehling - drouin
lehkonen - kotkaniemi - armia
byron - mccarron - suzuki
cousins

chiarot - weber
kulak - petry
mete - juulsen
reilly - folin

price
kinkaid
Playing a guy like Suzuki on the 4th line is useless. Send him to Laval instead and play a 4th liner. Domi played well at center, so keep him there going forward. McCaron is a career AHLer at this point, no chance he makes the team with Cousins, Weal, Peca, Hudon and Thompson battling for a 4th line spot.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Would have liked to have seen 1 better winger on that 3rd line. Perhaps Suzuki can win the role in camp.

I hear that but I expect Lehkonen to finish better this year and he helps insulate Poeling by being a strong 2 way player. Weal helps by taking faceoffs on the right side and providing some decent offence.

That's definitely a place I could see Suzuki in at some point this year. I could even see Caufield there after his season ends.

I think ideally Weal is a 4th line RW/C who can play some special teams.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Domi KK Suzuki
Drouin Danault Gally
Tatar Poehling Armia
Byron Evans Weal

Romanov Weber
Mete Petry
Kulak Juulsen
Fleury Brook

Names I’d trade before next draft would be Petry, Tatar and either Juulsen or Fleury. Get the highest picks for those you can and then go nuts at the draft and try to trade up for Lafrenierre or for trades to actually make this team a contender for 2021.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Lehkonen - Cousins - Pominville

Nice looking 4th :naughty:
I feel Pominville would be more clutch/opportunist than Weal
Weal take faceoffs tho...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Domi KK Suzuki
Drouin Danault Gally
Tatar Poehling Armia
Byron Evans Weal

Romanov Weber
Mete Petry
Kulak Juulsen
Fleury Brook

Names I’d trade before next draft would be Petry, Tatar and either Juulsen or Fleury. Get the highest picks for those you can and then go nuts at the draft and try to trade up for Lafrenierre or for trades to actually make this team a contender for 2021.

That's the top 9 I'm hoping Suzuki and Poehling are ready to make happen...

Where's Lehkonen? I have Byron-Weal-Lehkonen as the 4th line if Suzuki and Poehling can win top 9 spots. Lehkonen and Byron played well together with Danault in the middle. Perhaps they can with Weal, Evans, Cousins, or Thompson. And I could see Weal being in the top 9 if Suzuki isn't ready.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
sign Pominville & Brassard to 1-year deals...
roll a "french connection" 3rd line, giving them an abundance of PP and O-zone start opportunities (trying to get the 3 of them to be posting solid ppg #'s)
look to trade all three (+ Weal, Thompson, Reilly, Folin) by the trade deadline, ideally securing 3x 1st round picks in the process.

Oct - Jan lineup:

Domi - JKO - Armia
Drouin - Brassard - Pominville
Lekhonen - Cousins - Byron
Weal, Thompson, Hudon

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Juulsen
Reilly, Folin

Poehling, Suzuki spend 1st 1/2 of the season focused solely on Laval, ideally one or both force the issue and are able to make the jump into a top-9 role with the pro team before the deadline.

Feb - April lineup:

Domi - JKO - Armia
Lekhonen - Poehling/Suzuki - Byron
Hudon - Cousins - Evans/McCarron

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Juulsen
Brook, Fleury

still might just sneak in to the PO's... but more importantly, head into the deep 2020 draft with 4x 1st round picks and a roster nucleus & cap situation ready to start aggressively pursue contention

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would give this a shot for our fwds

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Tatar
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Byron-Cousins-Weal

I would like to see Kotkaniemi play with two guys who can score. I actually think Tatar on the right side would be interesting

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would give this a shot for our fwds

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Tatar
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Byron-Cousins-Weal

I would like to see Kotkaniemi play with two guys who can score. I actually think Tatar on the right side would be interesting

I like it. I would switch Weal and Lehkonen. Weal played well with Peohling in the game they played together, and Armia is an upgrade on Dlo. The fourth line with Byron and Lehkonen on opposite wings should be good. They played well together with Danault between them.

But ultimately I'm hoping Suzuki is ready to steal that other spot with Poehling and Armia or Lehkonen.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I'm bearish on moving Domi to the wing right now. I'm not saying never, but geeze, we finally get a 70 point center and now we are in a hurry to make sure he's a winger. The irony of trading Galchenyuk for a 70 point center only to then move him to the wing seems to be lost on a lot here. The only way he should be moved, is if both KK and Poehling surpass him. Until then, I'm hesitant to shunt his development at the position coming off of a really good season. That said, KK does need more opportunity, and if that means moving a top 6 winger onto his line than so be it.

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Tatar - KK - Armia
Byron - xxx - xxx

The team reportedly sees Suzuki as a center so this may be for naught. But I wouldn't be shocked to see Suzuki get a stint as a winger before Poehling as a center.

Danault can still be the main shutdown center, even with Drouin. Late in games Bryon or Lehkonen can take his spot if needed. Tatar-KK-Armia will be no slouch defensively either, and if KK is going to be a #1 he'll need to play tough minutes himself so he's going to see both offensive and defensive opportunity here.

Players tend to score more than expected when on the ice with Domi. I think that would be a good catalyst for Lehkonen. A Shaw like season would be nice even if it's over 82 games instead of 62. And a majority O-Zone draws would be a good way to enter the league for Suzuki.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Montreal is evolving to a lineup that will have KK, Poehling, Danault and Suzuki as the four centers on the team. I think Poehling starts the season as a C on the team, and Suzuki in Laval to start the year, playing C 20+ minutes a night.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Weal
Lehkonen-KK-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Cousins

In a few years, this could easily be our forward lineup. It will be a balanced lineup, with each line playing similar minutes. I'm looking forward to it.

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher (Drouin with two hard working players)
Domi-Poehling-Caufield (Poehling the passer with the two scorers)
Lehkonen-KK-Ylonen (Could be our best 5-on-5 line)
Byron-Suzuki-Armia (Suzuki, our wild card prospect, with veterans)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marca61

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Domi - KK - Suzuki
Byron - Poehling - Drouin
Lehky - Weal - Armia
Cousins - Thompson

Byron - Domi - Drouin
Lehky - KK - Armia
Cousins - Thompson - Weal
Hudon - Peca

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Poehling makes the team as a LW/C. I think he will fit well with Domi

- Suzuki gets his shot in preseason but likely plays center to start the year in Laval. Will be interesting to see how he deals with less time and space and a more physical game

- Kinkaid likely wins the back up job but Lindgren will push for that spot! Will be interesting to watch

- Doubt they split up the Mete/Weber pairing. Can Kulak keep his job with Petry now that we have Chariot?

- Hopefully, Juulsen plays a full year and takes a step forward to becoming a top 4D proven quality. Brook and Fleury knocking on the door behind him

- Drouin needs to find his offensive game and fly out there. Heard he is working at loosing some Ibs and hopefully this helps him create more time and space

- What gains forward do we get from Kotkaniemi? It’s anybody’s guess. 60+ pt season would be a very good step forward

- Who surprises from Lehkonen, Armia, Weal, Cousins, Peca, Hudon?

- As always, injures will happen but the depth is there!

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I expect if the team are committed to having Poehling start the year in Laval, Bergevin will sign someone like Brassard cheap to play, and if he does well deal him at the deadline for picks and call up one of the prospects then.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I expect if the team are committed to having Poehling start the year in Laval, Bergevin will sign someone like Brassard cheap to play, and if he does well deal him at the deadline for picks and call up one of the prospects then.

Certainly wouldn't hurt both Poehling and Suzuki's development to start the season in Laval. Same goes for Brook.

However, there is nothing preventing them from moving up at some point in the season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad