Rosno Cup (formerly the Baltika Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Russia beat Sweden 4-1. The Russians were just faster, more aggressive, more talented. Goals by Popov, Vishnevski, Semin and Kovalev. Great game by Kovalchuk, made 2 wonderful passes that led to the last 2 goals. He also made a jaw dropping play but unfortunately didn't score (I had the impression he hit the post).

Russia wonderfully killed a 1:30 5-on-3 Sweden PP. Fedor Fedorov was great on the PK!

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
wilka91 said:
The game was ugly though, very defensive minded.

Well I expected that. Just look at the swedish team - role players, checkers, agitators.. Not much of anything when it comes to offensive talent. Russia on the other hand has a great team and should beat this team easily, which they did. The only chance sweden has was to play dirty and defensive and hope that they could get the russian team off balance, which they almost did in the first period. Then the russians took control of the game and their emotions and turned it around and won quite fair.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
You know, actually I'm very disappointed by Team Russia, because when you look at all their offensive firepower, they failed to produce anything on the ice, especially on the powerplay. I mean Semin scored on a partial breakaway, Kovalev on a 2-on-1 ... well they sure made one nice play on the game-winning goal, but when you have 3 of the world's finest players doing the passing, it should come as no surprise that they managed to score once. But what is more suprising, is that they scored only once. I mean the 1st line has Kovalev, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk on it for God's sakes!!!

Or maybe I'm a little to skeptical, and maybe the Swedes DID play very hard on defense.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
colonel_korn said:
:amazed:

As a Canucks fan I *never* expected to see that sentence anywhere. :joker:

I really enjoyed watching him play the last 2 games for Russia. I've the impression of watching Sergei. And he doesn't do anything stupid! :teach: :amazed:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
wilka91 said:
I really enjoyed watching him play the last 2 games for Russia. I've the impression of watching Sergei. And he doesn't do anything stupid! :teach: :amazed:

Me too. Actually I think the swedish commentators mistook him for his older brother, they really do look alike on the ice.

A bit OT from the above post: How did the Finns look when team Russia played them? Do you think their game will suit the swedish team a little bit better?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well the Finns didn't play very physical, or at least not as much as Sweden. They hung on to the puck a little more and obviously created much more scoring chances. But on the other hand it was the 1st game for both team, so I dunno.

Jamina

Dec 17, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Finland- Tzech ot.5-4 (1-2,0-2,3-0,1-0)

2.57 1-0 Olli Jokinen (Jussi Jokinen)
5.16 1-1 Vasicek (Vlasak, Martinek) pp
17.09 1-2 Nedorost (Hemsky,Hejda)
33.30 1-3 Divisek (Ptacek)
36.52 1-4 J.Hlinka (Vasicek)
52.17 2-4 Jussi Jokinen (Kapanen,Peltonen)
53.22 3-4 Jussi Jokinen (Kukkonen) pp
58.55 4-4 Olli Jokinen(Jussi Jokinen,Peltonen)
60.51 5-4 Olli Jokinen(Jussi Jokinen,Niinimaa)

Penalties: FIN 3 x 2 min, CZE 5 x 2 min

Goalies
Niklas Bäckström FIN 7+ 8+ 7+ 0=22
Marek Pinc CZE 11+ 2+ 8+ 0=21

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Jamina said:
Finland- Tzech ot.5-4 (1-2,0-2,3-0,1-0)

2.57 1-0 Olli Jokinen (Jussi Jokinen)
52.17 2-4 Jussi Jokinen (Kapanen,Peltonen)
53.22 3-4 Jussi Jokinen (Kukkonen) pp
58.55 4-4 Olli Jokinen(Jussi Jokinen,Peltonen)
60.51 5-4 Olli Jokinen(Jussi Jokinen,Niinimaa)

Just your standard 5 point game :handclap: .Maybe he'll start getting some love now, since he's running away with the scoring title(6 points in 2 games, meaning he's been in on ALL of Finland's goals) :D .

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Chaos said:
Just your standard 5 point game :handclap: .Maybe he'll start getting some love now, since he's running away with the scoring title(6 points in 2 games, meaning he's been in on ALL of Finland's goals) :D .

Two words: Ville Peltonen

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
What about him? He's probably one of the all-time scoring leaders in the IIHF tournaments but never made it in the NHL.

IMHO the similarities between him and J. Jokinen are frightening.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Pepper said:
What about him? He's probably one of the all-time scoring leaders in the IIHF tournaments but never made it in the NHL.

But was he doing it at 21 years old in tournaments with star NHL players?

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Pepper said:

IMHO the similarities between him and J. Jokinen are frightening.
IMO Jussi Jokinen is much more versatile than Ville was when he left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->